Why do Texans fans hate Bill O'Brien?

Activated10

5 hours ago, mse326 said:

I personally don't rate a HC based on challenge success or not since frequently it comes from upstairs

Given what we know about BOB, do you think he defers this decision to someone upstairs?

If he is, he's surrounding himself with the wrong people.

On 8/11/2019 at 5:46 PM, ET80 said:

You have to consider - most of that "winning record" comes from a time when Tennessee and Jacksonville were picking in the top 5. I'd imagine his W-L record against teams under .500 is CONSIDERABLY better than his record against teams over .500.

His 1-3 playoff record includes two blowouts at home - a 30-0 drubbing against the Chiefs in 2015 (when Alex Smith was starting) and the 21-7 beatdown this past season vs the Colts. His only win was against a Raiders team that had Connor Cook making his first playoff start, so that was basically a gift.

His in game decision making is bland and predictable - first down will always be a pass, and if it's incomplete, 2nd and 10 will ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS be a handoff up the middle to Lamar Miller. Every single time. You can guarantee a WR screen on 3rd and short.

He doesn't play to the teams' strengths - we have a RB who is suited for plays in space or off tackle, but he runs him between the G/C every time - doesn't even try to utilize him in space. He's got athletic TEs who aren't good blockers - but all they do is block. He's got a bad pass blocking OL, but they move well in space, and a QB who can move laterally and throw on the run as well as any QB in the league. So, rolling pockets and throws on the run? Nope, standard blocking sets and 5-7 step drops.

Bill O'Brien is the Kirk Cousins of HCs. He's capable of hanging up big numbers as a HC, but if you REALLY watch him, you'll see that he's not good. You'll see him take advantage of weaker opponents, but gets beat quickly by good teams. You'll see him try the same things over and over, not adapting to what his team could do, or what the other team is trying to do.

I'm not the only one who thinks this...

@Texansfan713, @Pastor Dillon, @amazingandre, @mse326, @Apollo Stallion, @Jaytrajik - any thoughts you'd like to add?

Not saying you are wrong in general, but wouldn't this be the case for most coaches? I mean, just mathematically speaking, I would assume most coaches do much better vs bad teams than good teams, right?

Texan fans hate BOB because of the bad "business" decisions regarding players and personnel. The good ole boys network is way to0 noticeable and not in a helpful way. That goes around the league sure but Kubiak seemed to make it work until the players couldn't mask it any longer. BOB hasn't made the right choices in this regard. I think they have too many playing for themselves and not playing for the team. BOB seems to be the same as in he is playing for himself in a sense. Plus, the Texans let way too many players walk during his time as a coach thinking they could easily be replaced.

51 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

exactly...

I am willing to bet had he stayed there he would have never had the same type of impact James Frankin is having there right now.

Franklin has made it much more ra ra and gotten better "college" recruits. BoB did an ok job attracting more pro style guys...but that was really overrated (see: Hackenberg)

3 hours ago, Soggust said:

Not saying you are wrong in general, but wouldn't this be the case for most coaches? I mean, just mathematically speaking, I would assume most coaches do much better vs bad teams than good teams, right?

when kubiak was hc the afc south was way tougher than it is when o brien won division titles and the guy is still 42-38 for his career.  thats terrible

B O B cost his team the bye last year with one of the worst coached games in NFL history.

• Not covering a gunner on a punt is Kotite-ian.
  • There is only one word for a Belichick disciple who lets players in street clothes on the sideline:  Moron

B O B adds nothing. He runs into the line on 3rd and 4 when trying to run out the clock, ensuring that the other team will stop the run and get a chance to come back 

• See Houston at New England in 2017

Any time a boring and predictable playcall can kill your drive... that is what B O  B will call.

The fans don't so much hate him as just know with 100% clarity that he is bad at his job.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

The fans don't so much hate him as just know with 100% clarity that he is bad at his job.

Oh, this off-season he's having is pushing us clearly into the "hate" area. From the start, it's been one miscue after another - and the cherry on top is probably going to be Jadevion Clowney traded to Buffalo for something like Dion Dawkins and a 5th round pick.

He's quickly becoming the Chip Kelly of the Texans...

On 8/13/2019 at 2:44 PM, Soggust said:

Yeah, you're right - but I'm saying there's probably a significant disparity between the two, sort of like Kirk Cousins' record against teams with a winning record vs his record against teams with a losing record.

I don't have the numbers, but I am sure someone does. I'll check around, see what I can find to help illustrate this.

• Like 1

Interesting read:

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/texas-sports-nation/texans/article/Anonymous-Gambler-Bill-O-Brien-s-seat-is-far-14303705.php

Vegas has BOB as tied for 4th most likely coach to get fired mid-season. Jay Gruden, Pat Schumer and Doug Marrone are the only three who have better odds (Dan Quinn is tied for 4th, both he and BOB are at 12/1). 

Now, the rest of that article reads like a puff piece (dimes to dollars it was written by Drew Dougherty or Deephi Sidhu) but those odds are telling...

The thing is that the Texans have been very patient with their HC during their history.I remember being very surprised that Gary Kubiak had kept his job after a 6-10 season in 2010, especially since it was 5 years that Houston had not made the playoffs under Kubiak.

But yes, O'Brien deserves to be on the hot seat, they found a franchise QB, this team must take the next step!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Steelersfan43 said:

The thing is that the Texans have been very patient with their HC during their history.I remember being very surprised that Gary Kubiak had kept his job after a 6-10 season in 2010, especially since it was 5 years that Houston had not made the playoffs under Kubiak.

But yes, O'Brien deserves to be on the hot seat, they found a franchise QB, this team must take the next step!

The Texans have been patient to a fault. There's being patient and there's seeing that either a)it was a botched hire and to cut the cord (see Steve Wilks)  or b)there is no positive trajectory/skill development and that he won't be good enough in the future. BoB is the latter. By year three it was evident he was a JAG coach but they won just enough to be scared and pull the trigger. While it happens mostly with franchise QBs, BoB can probably thank JJ Watt/the defense for covering up for him for as long as they have.

• Like 1