Preseason, Week 2: VIKINGS (1-0) vs Seahawks (1-0)

swede700

Initial impressions:

The offense looked good. They were crisp and organized and didn't get in their own way (except for the penalty on Rudolph, which I thought was iffy). They converted 60%+ of 3rd downs. They only had one 3-and-out, vs 3 TDs. All 3 QBs had 75%+ completion percentage, for a YPA near 8. The INT was bad (but I think Beebe's fault) and Cousins missed Mattison on a screen that would've been a big gain, but I don't remember any other bad throws. There was only one drop that I remember (Conklin). They again didn't allow a sack (though pass protection wasn't great at times). I was watching with friends and didn't get to rewind to focus on line play but I thought Elflein was pretty bad. The play calling was probably too run-heavy, given a low YPC (but on the other hand, few negative runs).  They dominated TOP (38 min), yards (409 to 221) and first downs (27 to 13). I think Zimmer will be very happy with Stefanski and Kubiak. 

The defense was pretty mediocre. Odenigbo was the only DL who was getting home as a pass rusher. Weatherly and Griffen were invisible, and the DTs did very little even against the Seahawks backups. Cam Smith missed Lynch untouched on a blitz. There were a couple of glaring coverage breakdowns by the starters.  Hill made a couple of nice plays, took an arguable DPI call and deservedly got ejected for headhunting. Duke Thomas forced a fumble that Epps could've collected uncontested, but he whiffed on it twice and somehow the Seahawks got it back. 

Special teams were up and down. They allowed several big returns, including one wiped out by a hold. Vedvik boomed his punts but a couple of them out kicked the coverage. Bailey made a short FG and they were 2/2 on XPs. Badet looked good as a KR. Bisi Johnson almost got killed fielding a punt that he should've fair caught. 

1 hour ago, y*so*blu said:

No, Wile's still here. Yes, Vedvik is punting. They're pronouncing his name "Corey" which I'm pretty sure isn't right.

It's pretty much right. About as close as you're going to get pronouncing a Norwegian name in English.

I am happy about The Vikings' new offence, and the way Cousins has played, as well as the way the OL has played in the first 2 games.  I think this season will be very enjoyable.  I just hope that the defence can play up to our expectations, so we can have a long playoff run.

It was fun going to the game last night. The offense definitely looked good, though, it feels like the Vikings could save some money and just keep Sloter as the back-up and Browning as 3rd string to learn. The one downside of being there for a preseason game is that you especially can't see how players look in the trenches, you can see when WR's are doing well, but not how good the OL/DL were or weren't.

I didn't watch the game, but have heard that Hill's penalty after helmet to helmet contact with Paxton was pretty egregious.  Is it time to put a stamp on his a** and mail him out of Minnesota??

8 hours ago, Klomp said:

That Gorham tweet is the start of a nice back-and-forth thread between he and Johnson.

I disagree with the take that it was all on Beebe though. The QB has to feel that pressure and step up into the clean pocket. That play was never going to get them a first down, and if he steps up the 2nd level receiver (can't remember who it was?) was open for the first down.

9 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

I didn't watch the game, but have heard that Hill's penalty after helmet to helmet contact with Paxton was pretty egregious.  Is it time to put a stamp on his a** and mail him out of Minnesota??

It was a very late slide. I'm not sure how Hill could have changed his tackle before Lynch began his slide. Nothing egregious at all.

21 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

I think it was a bit of a late slide by lynch but hill did lead with his helmet...

if he gets suspended (for the third time lol) I wouldn’t be surprised if they cut him.

13 hours ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

I want our running backs to be known as "The Kitchen"

Just saw that movie yesterday.  xD

(I know that wasn't the point of the post, but just wanted to bring it up, because I did like it...didn't know quite what to expect with 2 comediennes playing rather dramatic roles as irish mafia bosses).;)

42 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

It was a very late slide. I'm not sure how Hill could have changed his tackle before Lynch began his slide. Nothing egregious at all.

I saw the replay...Hill led with his helmet...you can't do that regardless of the late slide by Lynch.  If Lynch hadn't slid, then you're only talking about Hill potentially getting himself hurt with a concussion...and Lynch maybe only gets the wind knocked out of him because of getting hit in his lungs.  

15 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I saw the replay...Hill led with his helmet...you can't do that regardless of the late slide by Lynch.  If Lynch hadn't slid, then you're only talking about Hill potentially getting himself hurt with a concussion...and Lynch maybe only gets the wind knocked out of him because of getting hit in his lungs.  

He slid when Hill was already in his face.