Preseason, Week 2: VIKINGS (1-0) vs Seahawks (1-0)

swede700

36 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Head up. It’s that simple. 

At no point, none, zero, should a defender be lowering his head to hit with the crown of his helmet. 

At the stadium, they never showed much of a replay of it. Live it looked like Lynch slid late and right at Hill, but yeah, can't drop your head on a  hit like that.

18 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

At the stadium, they never showed much of a replay of it. Live it looked like Lynch slid late and right at Hill, but yeah, can't drop your head on a  hit like that.

Live I did not feel it was that bad, the reply makes it look awful like he was really going after him to hurt him.  I do not think that was the case, he lowered his head because he was going down when Lynch went down to slide.  It happens so quickly and a player goes down you go down with him to strike and tackle him.  If he would have put his head way up in that situation he probably would have been hit in the groin by Lynch.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Klomp said:

It's pretty much right. About as close as you're going to get pronouncing a Norwegian name in English.

Yeah, the "aa" together makes what is closest to the long 'O' vowel wound in English. The 'e' at the end of his name is pronounced quite a bit different than the "ey" in Corey though. The pronunciation given by Google translate is pretty accurate to the way his name would actually be pronounced where he grew up.

https://translate.google.com/#view=home&op=translate&sl=no&tl=en&text=Kaare Vedvik

Click the little speaker icon to hear the pronunciation. 

21 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

It's kind of food related: my Dad and I have been calling him "Dolly" Mattison.  :)

Well Mattison... It is a Scandinavian last name and "mat" is literally translated from Norwegian to English as "food".

Really, though, Mattis is a first name and Mattison would only refer to being Mattis' kid.  At least someone was Mattis' kid in the ancestry when families started keeping the same last name from generation to generation.

Still, if you look at just the first three letters, and you dont' know any better, you might convince yourself the name is a form of "mat" and therefore about food.

Edited by Cearbhall
  • Like 2

Watching the game, my impressions:

Even though the OL didn't give up a sack, they still weren't impressive. Seattle has a weak DL but their DTs were having their time with Bradbury and Elflein. Hoping that gets figured out soon.

Idenigbo is legit. I think he's the #4 DE right now, and should have a fair fight next year to start if Griffen is let go. Mata'afa is interesting. He needs to bulk up but should absolutely make the roster. Andre Patterson is doing work!!

Jayron Kearse might be the best non starting safety in the league. I'm surprised we haven't received calls about him. Anthony Harris is coming into his own too. Our #4 Safety though... who is it going to be?

Boone should be the #3 RB. Sloter should be the #2 QB. Next

Cam Smith is all hype and no production. Cliett and Downs are definitely better than him. Our 6 LBers this year should be Barr, Kendricks, Gedeon, Wilson, Downs and Cliett/Brothers.

Beebe and Taylor has been super quiet, being outplayed by Zylstra. Olabisi Johnson I'm guessing is the #5 WR unless we cant trade Treadwell. Dillion Mitchell is a good fit for the practice squad. 

Khari Blasingame had some ups and downs, but I think he beats out CJ Ham. He fits what I think Stefanski and Kubiak want out of him.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Watching the game, my impressions:

Even though the OL didn't give up a sack, they still weren't impressive. Seattle has a weak DL but their DTs were having their time with Bradbury and Elflein. Hoping that gets figured out soon.

Idenigbo is legit. I think he's the #4 DE right now, and should have a fair fight next year to start if Griffen is let go. Mata'afa is interesting. He needs to bulk up but should absolutely make the roster. Andre Patterson is doing work!!

Jayron Kearse might be the best non starting safety in the league. I'm surprised we haven't received calls about him. Anthony Harris is coming into his own too. Our #4 Safety though... who is it going to be?

Boone should be the #3 RB. Sloter should be the #2 QB. Next

Cam Smith is all hype and no production. Cliett and Downs are definitely better than him. Our 6 LBers this year should be Barr, Kendricks, Gedeon, Wilson, Downs and Cliett/Brothers.

Beebe and Taylor has been super quiet, being outplayed by Zylstra. Olabisi Johnson I'm guessing is the #5 WR unless we cant trade Treadwell. Dillion Mitchell is a good fit for the practice squad. 

Khari Blasingame had some ups and downs, but I think he beats out CJ Ham. He fits what I think Stefanski and Kubiak want out of him.

Seattle’s DTs aren’t bad. Poona Ford is excellent, comparable to Kenny Clark in our division — a short, thick, quick NT.

Odenigbo has looked good, way better than Weatherly this preseason. Weatherly has been too passive as a pass rusher, stands up and dances with his blocker without pushing him back or disengaging. I wonder if Odenigbo might get some reps as DE3.

Boone was very good, he should beat out Abdullah. Mannion wasn’t bad but Sloter was better. I’d make Sloter QB2.

I though Cam Smith was OK even if he missed the sack on the blitz. I think he’ll make the team.

Beebe hasn’t played much but yeah the miscue on the INT was bad. Taylor looks like he won’t make it. 

I hope they keep Blasingame somehow but the coaches love CJ Ham so I doubt he gets released. They might find a way to keep both.

• Like 2

I was very impressed by Poona Ford. He caused a lot of disruption on our line, and without a center as good as Bradbury to block him, it could have gotten much uglier. Instead we held him off well enough to make the game a first-half stalemate, then took control with our third-stringers in the second.

Boone continues to look like a solid prospect (in preseason at least). Those who were clamoring for him over the sometimes flashier Roc Thomas a year ago must feel vindicated now. I think he deserves to be the #3 RB. Sloter was my pick for #2 QB before this game and he still is now.

Brothers has to be gone. I didn't even know he was still on the team. Hell, maybe Zim forgot too. But after a costly penalty and a dropped interception, we've probably just seen his last game in purple.