GDT 8/15/19 Preseason Week 2: Baltimore Ravens vs Green Bay Packers

DreamKid

9 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Wesley looked like the player we'd heard about all camp tonight. Scott's Stock is Up even more as well. 2 Giant WRs on the outside that can continue to grow with the club.

Brown, Snead, Boykin and Moore are locks IMO.  Emergence of Scott and flashes from Wesley are likely most threatening to Roberts's spot I would think.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sp6488 said:

McSorley just does not have the arm for the out route at the NFL level.

Yup.

On a semi-related note, Joe Callahan once again stood out to me with some of his throws yesterday. He needs more opportunities out there. I get why he’s not since McSorely was the draft pick and the Ravens have no serious ties to Callahan, but Callahan looks like he might actually be able to play in this league.

A little more patience and Lamar hits Andrews with more room to run instead of Chris Moore. Its a little thing, but something they will notice on film. The deep pass, I still have to get used to Lamars throwing motion, but impressive he can put so much air under it with such a short motion.

ST still giving up a little too much on return

Not much to say from the defensive side - looked great but it was against Kizer

Nice dumb off to Dixon by Lamar, don't know if that was schemed

Gus Edwards looks like he is supposed to. Great one trick pony

I hate that Lamar just doesn't run out of bounds on that run when nothing is there

• Like 1

I rewatched Mekari during the 2nd quarter. The guy has good feet and can pull and pass protect, but man is his functional strength low. Can't hardly move anyone in the run game. I'd give him a year to bulk up and see if he can get stronger, because I don't see him standing up any starting DTs this year. 

2 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Yup.

On a semi-related note, Joe Callahan once again stood out to me with some of his throws yesterday. He needs more opportunities out there. I get why he’s not since McSorely was the draft pick and the Ravens have no serious ties to Callahan, but Callahan looks like he might actually be able to play in this league.

If we're gonna use McSorely it can't be at QB. Callahan isn't a scheme fit for us but he'll likely catch on a PS elsewhere.

10 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

If we're gonna use McSorely it can't be at QB. Callahan isn't a scheme fit for us but he'll likely catch on a PS elsewhere.

True. But I would at least like to see what kind of athleticism Callahan has when running off of the RPO, just to see just how much of a non-scheme fit he is.

4 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I'm not even sure he's eligible for PS anymore. His last college season was 2015. He was on the GB practice squad during 2016-17. He's also been signed and cut by PHI, NO, CLE, and TB over the past few years (also cut by GB a few times). 

He's had plenty of chance to stick and never was able to do so. It's not like he hasn't played well in the preseason before either, his 2016 with the Packers he was quite good. 

I don't see a couple of throws he makes for the Ravens in the 4th quarter of preseason games really changing the league-wide opinion of him.

I finished reviewing the 1st Half, here are my notes Series by Series-

OS1-   OL- Stanley-Eluemanor-Skura-Hurst-Browns Jr.

- There was a nice link up between Moore and Jackson that's kind of flying under the radar. Chris got a good release from the slot, team loves using him there, and with a step on Jaire Alexander he caught a pass that had perfect placement from LJ8. Moore and Lamar have great chemistry.

- Chris Moore was open on the drive ending 3rd down pass to Boykin. Lamar was being rushed though, and didn't see him. Still, Moore shows a knack for being able to work back to Jackson when he's extending plays.

DS1- 

- Pierce remains a monster to deal with in the run game, his old form is starting to return- in a big way.

- Green Bay did this really stupid thing where they kept trying to block Pernell with Jimmy Graham, needless to say it failed horribly. McPhee shed him immediately and just missed on a big TFL.

- Judon was jogging on backside pursuit, cardinal sin. McPhee cleaned up the ball carrier and was razor close to a TFL again.

- It was Michael Pierce, not Willie Henry, who tipped the ball that was almost picked by Jefferson.

- On 4th Down it looks like McPhee got a piece of the ball from Kizer. Turnover on Downs.

OS2-   OL- Stanley-Eluemanor-Skura-Yanda-Brown Jr.

- Michael Floyd was out there early.

- Dixon messed up on the RPO fake, Jackson literally did a run fake with air(funny to see). Dixon then leaked immediately because he saw a lot of green and Jackson hit him. This was the play where Dixon had to limp off for a bit.

- ZDS caught Eluemanor leaning, but Jackson rolled to the other side so it didn't matter. Jermaine still plays Guard like a Tackle.

- Giant block by Nick Boyle to help spring Gus Edwards.

- ZDS beat Stanley bad on the Boyle hurdle play, if Lamar hadn't got the ball out quick he would've been crushed. Boyle holding penalty right after his hurdle play.

- 2nd & 11, ZDS beats Stanley again. Would've been a Sack if Lamar hadn't stepped up in the pocket and avoided the pressure. 

- Great 1st Down throw on 3rd & 8 to Snead. Snead wants the ball in the key moments, and Jackson knows it.

- Lamar followed it up with a bad RedZone miss to Hayden Hurst who had room to run. He's gotta hit those. 

- They threw the flag on Snead super late, like they waited to see if Lamar would score just to take it away. Snead had a false start the following play. 

DS2- 

- No one covers Kumerow, easy 1st Down.

- Pierce strong again, he pushes up field. They try and fail again to block McPhee with Graham.

- At the top of the 2nd Quarter they brought Jaylon Ferguson in early and had him rush against David Bakhtiari. He got a good bull on him, and helped force some sloppy execution on a screen pass.

- No Willie Henry until the 2nd Quarter, and it makes sense when you think about. The goal of preseason is to get players work to prepare them for the regular season. We use Henry on passing downs because it's strategically sound. Preseason isn't about strategy. It's smart to have Williams and Pierce get work against the pass in preseason.

- Bowser's first entrance into the game came on 3rd & 10, they dropped him and he took away Jimmy Graham who Kizer wanted. Unfortunately, Kizer moved through his progressions and found someone else for a completion. 

- This game was our first look at Earl Thomas and Tony Jefferson together, and I can confirm that we will be seeing Jefferson once again in single high looks with Thomas around the LOS. That completion on 3rd & 10 came on one such play. Thomas is just going to step into Weddle's role. Unfortunate.

- Judon and Willie execute stunt, Judon has good eyes- sees Kizer trying to scramble out and runs him down for the Sack. Tried to get the ball out too. Judon is great on read and react plays. He loves being clean and having a straight shot/line to the ball. I'd like to see Judon used inside more often. He's not a strong rusher, but his vision in the middle of line would be an asset. If he can't get home, let him hover and react.

- Humphrey sets the edge like a savage, makes the tackle on the HB. Born to be a Raven.

- 3rd & 18, We roll out some interesting personnel. Judon-Ricard-McPhee-Bowser. The Packers got the ball out too quick for it amount to anything, but it was cool to see. Looks like they wanted to get Ricard involved against the Pack's 1s. Marlon had good coverage on Graham.

OS3-  OL- Eluemanor-Mekari-Bozeman-Powers-Brown Jr

- Nothing of note. Quick 3 & out.

DS3- 

- Packer's 2nd team OL comes in. Pierce and Judon immediately beat their blocks and Kenny Young secures the TFL.

- We blitzed Cyrus Jones a couple times and he looked pretty good doing it.

- Clark had a good TFL.

- Tim Williams debuted on this series, but they took him out on 3rd & 13. Sure he loved that lol.

- Great Play from Judon. He sniffed out a weak side screen from SAM, and flew over to make the tackle. Would've had the TFL if he didn't hesitate. I saw Wink and the players all coming up to him after, you won't see that play very often. Clearly GB was trying to counter our pass rush and Judon saw it the whole way.

OS4-  OL- Eluemanor-Mekari-Bozeman-Powers-Brown Jr.

- Mekari got beat for a TFL. 

- Chris Moore was lights out on the drive and during the whole game. He's too talented to play against 2s.

DS4-

Bowser beats RT#72 with inside fake and speed chop, was real close to a Safety. The Packers' QBs got the ball out quick on a night where our EDGE group some great wins. 

- Timmy and Tyus both win with inside counters

- 2nd & 16, Pierce(Still in the game) blew up everything in the backfield to wreck the play almost by himself, Alaka cleaned up the ball carrier while Ferg and Bowser swarmed.

- Bowser crashes inside for what would have been a good pressure, but once again the QB got the ball out. Good series for Tyus.

OS5- OL- Eluemanor-Mekari-Bozeman-Powers-Brown Jr.

- Justice Hill is twitched up out of his mind. He can create for himself better than any of our other backs, by far. 7 Yard Run.

- Hill made the Tackle on Trace's INT.

DS5-

- Bowser and Wormley team up for a great stunt, and Ferg has another strong bull rush. QB got the ball out.

- The first time one of the Packers' QBs holds the ball longer than 2 seconds, Timmy hits home with the big QBH. Quick swim to beat the LT instantly and then he blows by the guard. Strong enough hit on the QB to where he could've been flagged, which I approve of. QB got the ball out and hit his man, but DeShon Elliot ripped it away from him. Beastly work from our young safety. 

OS6-  OL- Eluemanor-Mekari-Bozeman-Powers-Brown Jr.

- Great 10 Yard scamper by Hill to end the half.

Random Notes

- Senat was out, so Eluemanor was back at 2nd Team LT.

- Jaleel Scott had a tackle on Punt & Kick coverage. He could be the team's most improved player from last season.

• Like 4

The call on Sneads block on the Lamar TD was weak as hell.

Other than that, it looked really nice how we both ran and passed the ball - although the deep shots on the outside of down the seam isn't a part of the offense so far.

It will be difficult to accept the throws Lamar will miss like the one we saw to Hayden Hurst, but they should be outweighed by the stuff he can do with his legs.

A little concerning Hurst isn't a bigger part of the offense.

1 hour ago, Danand said:

The call on Sneads block on the Lamar TD was weak as hell.

Not really. He's clearing working back towards the LoS when making the block, which is explicitly illegal.

1 hour ago, Danand said:

Other than that, it looked really nice how we both ran and passed the ball - although the deep shots on the outside of down the seam isn't a part of the offense so far.

Hopefully that'll change when we get Hollywood involved, because right now we don't have a deep threat.

1 hour ago, Danand said:

It will be difficult to accept the throws Lamar will miss like the one we saw to Hayden Hurst, but they should be outweighed by the stuff he can do with his legs.

Agreed completely. For a 1st round pick who is now healthy, he's basically a #3 TE at this point.

5 hours ago, Danand said:

I've seen more people freaking out about Mark Andrews being under used thus far in the preseason. For either, I would say it's way too early to make a call like that. Lamar has thrown 16 passes- in the preseason. Of the 1,000 passes he's tossed around in camp, it certainly seems like the majority of targets are going to Mark & Hayden. I mean Roman is even giving them WR looks just to get them on the field. They're a focal point of the offense. I guess I don't get all the concern. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

I've seen more people freaking out about Mark Andrews being under used thus far in the preseason. For either, I would say it's way too early to make a call like that. Lamar has thrown 16 passes- in the preseason. Of the 1,000 passes he's tossed around in camp, it certainly seems like the majority of targets are going to Mark & Hayden. I mean Roman is even giving them WR looks just to get them on the field. They're a focal point of the offense. I guess I don't get all the concern. 

I’d rather not show the TE passing game trickery too much anyway. Plus our WRs need more work as we have a lot of young options with no or little in-game experience. At least our TEs all got suitable reps last year.

• Like 1