Roster Projection: DL, OLB, ILB

WindyCity

DL [6]: Hicks, Goldman, Nichols, RRH, Bullard, Williams

This is pretty much chalk. I do not see much value in cutting Bullard as he does provide good run reps. Williams may get the boot, but they seem to like him and with RRH kicking outside to rush in the 4 man front I think they can afford to keep more DLmen.

OLB [4]: Mack, Floyd, Lynch, Irving

Man, I wish there was more depth here, but I am not sure there is a 5th guy worth keeping on the roster. If something comes up on the waiver wire I would release Williams from the DL, but right now Fitts looks lost and Betts and Harris are 2 years away.  I am not sure that we can waste a roster spot on one of those deep developmental guys.

ILB [5]: Trevathan , Smith, Pierre-Louis, Iggy, Woods

This is one position where I think we could be a little surprised by the cuts. Kwik simply cannot cover and he makes 2 million this season to only play special teams and I am not sure that is worth it. Pierre-Louis popped off the screen in game 1, Woods looks pretty good making the transition and can run, and Iggy is a 4th round pick from a year ago with serious athletic ability. I think Pierre-Louis makes it as the primary backup and special teams ace and the other to are athletic developmental special teamers.

Kwit is easily the third ILB.  I don't think he has the physical tools to be a OLB/Pass Rusher.  Maybe he could have been a Marinelli stlye SLB, but moot point.  

The question to me here is 5 OLB or 5 ILB.  I don't know if Fitts or Iggy has more to offer, honestly.  Iggy seems more valuable in ST but I think that's the last tie breaker you use to evaluate which one to keep.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, jumbo said:

Kwit is easily the third ILB.  I don't think he has the physical tools to be a OLB/Pass Rusher.  Maybe he could have been a Marinelli stlye SLB, but moot point.  

The question to me here is 5 OLB or 5 ILB.  I don't know if Fitts or Iggy has more to offer, honestly.  Iggy seems more valuable in ST but I think that's the last tie breaker you use to evaluate which one to keep.  

He might be the third ILB right now but if he keeps playing like he did he’ll drop down the depth chart fast. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Fitts and Iggy continue to do nothing. 

I wonder if Pace will cut bait with 2 recent draft picks.

Give me Woods over either of them.

Disappointing.  Assumption  that Trevathan will be future cap savings piece needs to be revisited.

Edited by dll2000
  • Like 1

At least Iggy has been making an impact on ST.  Fitts has been pretty useless on all counts.  By now he should be showing up as a pass rusher against backup OTs and I see nothing that tells me he has NFL level talent as a 3-4 OLB.  I'm calling him a miss as a draftee.

4 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Disappointing.  Assumption  that Trevathan will be future cap savings piece needs to be revisited.

Given his skills and his leadership replacing Trevathan was never gonna be easy and I don't believe we'll do it with a mid or late round pick.

But the greatest concern if we do extend him is his injury history and will he become injured even more often once he hits 30 next year.

Last year was his first playing all 16 games.  Prior to that he's missed 11 games in 2016 and 2017.  If he misses time again this year I'd say paying him top dollar is gonna be tough to justify.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, soulman said:

Given his skills and his leadership replacing Trevathan was never gonna be easy and I don't believe we'll do it with a mid or late round pick.

But the greatest concern if we do extend him is his injury history and will he become injured even more often once he hits 30 next year.

Last year was his first playing all 16 games.  Prior to that he's missed 11 games in 2016 and 2017.  If he misses time again this year I'd say paying him top dollar is gonna be tough to justify.

There is a trend of late to play 1 ILB and 3 safeties too.  

GB and Seattle do it.  I saw Pagano do it in practice.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

There is a trend of late to play 1 ILB and 3 safeties too.  

GB and Seattle do it.  I saw Pagano do it in practice.  

Bush might come up in that scenario. I've pointed out that in his time as DC he used Dime more than almost anyone else, even if still only a small percentage of his total calls. Might be a good way to get him more playing time without putting him in man vs slot WRs. 

Edited by Sugashane
  • Like 1