Roster Projection: DL, OLB, ILB

WindyCity

1 hour ago, soulman said:

Given his skills and his leadership replacing Trevathan was never gonna be easy and I don't believe we'll do it with a mid or late round pick.

But the greatest concern if we do extend him is his injury history and will he become injured even more often once he hits 30 next year.

Last year was his first playing all 16 games.  Prior to that he's missed 11 games in 2016 and 2017.  If he misses time again this year I'd say paying him top dollar is gonna be tough to justify.

They don't really have a mid round pick in 2020. The best bet will be to either extend him for a year (which he'd decline) or two (which he may take) or use one of the two 2's on an ILB. Names to watch are Paddy Fisher from Northwestern, Dylan Moses from Alabama, Troy Dye from Oregon or Shaq Quarterman from Miami

On the topic of playing 3 safeties and one ILB, Isaiah Simmons is a man crush of mine from Clemson who plays SS for the Tigers but he's a missile out there who has the body to play some ILB surely

Edited by beardown3231
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

There is a trend of late to play 1 ILB and 3 safeties too.  

GB and Seattle do it.  I saw Pagano do it in practice.  

Makes sense if you have the personnel to do it.  Trevathan's strong point has always been in coverage and I believe that's why they're looking to see if Josh Woods can step up into his role now that he's playing at 230lbs plus.

19 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

They don't really have a mid round pick in 2020. The best bet will be to either extend him for a year (which he'd decline) or two (which he may take) or use one of the two 2's on an ILB. Names to watch are Paddy Fisher from Northwestern, Dylan Moses from Alabama, Troy Dye from Oregon or Shaq Quarterman from Miami

On the topic of playing 3 safeties and one ILB, Isaiah Simmons is a man crush of mine from Clemson who plays SS for the Tigers but he's a missile out there who has the body to play some ILB surely

But we'll have two #2's which is where we may have to look unless we do bring Trevathan back.

I'm sure he'd like to stay but since this will probably be his last deal I don't see him coming all that cheap.

We'll have to see how Pagano approaches things this year before we'll know whether or not an extension is worth it.

4 minutes ago, soulman said:

But we'll have two #2's which is where we may have to look unless we do bring Trevathan back.

I'm sure he'd like to stay but since this will probably be his last deal I don't see him coming all that cheap.

We'll have to see how Pagano approaches things this year before we'll know whether or not an extension is worth it.

That's what I said:

"They don't really have a mid round pick in 2020. The best bet will be to either extend him for a year (which he'd decline) or two (which he may take) or use one of the two 2's on an ILB. Names to watch are Paddy Fisher from Northwestern, Dylan Moses from Alabama, Troy Dye from Oregon or Shaq Quarterman from Miami

On the topic of playing 3 safeties and one ILB, Isaiah Simmons is a man crush of mine from Clemson who plays SS for the Tigers but he's a missile out there who has the body to play some ILB surely"

:)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

That's what I said:

"They don't really have a mid round pick in 2020. The best bet will be to either extend him for a year (which he'd decline) or two (which he may take) or use one of the two 2's on an ILB. Names to watch are Paddy Fisher from Northwestern, Dylan Moses from Alabama, Troy Dye from Oregon or Shaq Quarterman from Miami

On the topic of playing 3 safeties and one ILB, Isaiah Simmons is a man crush of mine from Clemson who plays SS for the Tigers but he's a missile out there who has the body to play some ILB surely"

:)

I know.....but it's Sunday and I always repeat things on Sundays.  Just wait 'til the season starts.....hoo boy.  icon_rofl.gif