Official Los Angeles Lakers Thread - 2020 NBA Champions #ForeverKobe

ttitansfan4life

11 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Grant Riller is a name that Lakers fans should become familiar with. He'd be the perfect pick for you guys at the end of the 1st round. 

Was actually looking up draft stuff. Thanks for the heads up.

What do you think about Bane, Flynn, or Terry on the Lakers?

9 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Was actually looking up draft stuff. Thanks for the heads up.

What do you think about Bane, Flynn, or Terry on the Lakers?

I think all three fit well. I think Terry goes top 20 though and Bane is likely going to be off the board by the time the Lakers pick as well. 

Bane - He's a high end shooter and an older prospect that should be able to contribute right away. 

Terry - Another high end shooter with playmaking potential, he's a little physically underdeveloped but would give the Lakers bench a nice boost as scorer that can play on or off ball. 

Flynn - Projects as a backup PG that will excel in pick-n-roll who should also be an above average shooter/scorer. He's another older prospect that should be able to contribute right away. 

• Like 1

5e5875686eaed.image.jpg?resize=400,288

Grant Riller | CG | Charleston 

Measurable's: 6'3" 190

2019 statistics: 21.9 ppg | 5.1 rpg | 3.9 apg | 1.6 spg | 3.1 topg on .499 FG | .362 3FG | .827 FT 

Strengths:

+ Ability to score at all 3 levels

+ Shot making off-the-dribble

+ Plus-level ball handler

+ Finishing ability around the rim

+ High basketball IQ

+ Scorers mentality 

+ Athleticism / Quickness 

Weaknesses

- More of an undersized two than a combo guard

- Average passer

- Hasn't shown much as an off ball scorer

- Lazy defensive player

- One of the oldest players in the class

- Not much experience against top competition 

Comparisons

Ceiling: CJ McCollum

Realistic: Kendrick Nunn

Floor: Marcus Thornton 

Analysis

Riller was largely an unknown prospect throughout the season playing at College of Charleston but may be the most underrated prospect in the class. He's the best scoring guard in the class with an advanced offensive game and the ability to score at all three levels. He uses an excellent combination of quickness, an excellent first step, and advanced ball handling to regularly get into the lane and has the explosiveness and touch with either hand to finish around the rim as well as any guard in the class. Riller has also displayed an impressive mid-range game using a variety of moves including an advanced floater and step back to score off the dribble. He is also a legitimate three point shooter with NBA range and has shown the ability to hit 3's off the dibble as well as in limited catch and shoot opportunities. Overall he has the most advanced scoring package of any guard in the class combined with the athleticism, quickness, and ability to hit shots off the bounce that indicate his scoring ability will translate to the next level. With that being said he is not without his faults as he was a pretty poor defensive player in college and didn't give a ton of effort on that end of the floor. That can partially be attributed to having to carry such a big offensive load but he will have to be better there to be in an NBA rotation. He's also more of an undersized two guard at this stage then a true combo guard because he hasn't shown much as a passer or creator for teammates. And there are definitely some questions about how well his game will translate after playing at a lower level of competition and how much upside he has due to being one of the older players in the class. Riller isn't without his faults but should be an excellent value pick in the late first round for a team looking to add additional scoring to their rotation. He has a high floor as a guy that should be a good scorer off the bench with the potential to become a starting guard if he can improve as a passer and defender. 

Team fits: New York, Los Angeles, Milwaukee, Utah 

This is my scouting report on Riller from a week or two ago. @TheRealMcCoy

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I think all three fit well. I think Terry goes top 20 though and Bane is likely going to be off the board by the time the Lakers pick as well. 

Bane - He's a high end shooter and an older prospect that should be able to contribute right away. 

Terry - Another high end shooter with playmaking potential, he's a little physically underdeveloped but would give the Lakers bench a nice boost as scorer that can play on or off ball. 

Flynn - Projects as a backup PG that will excel in pick-n-roll who should also be an above average shooter/scorer. He's another older prospect that should be able to contribute right away. 

That was really informative and seems like all of them would be welcomed addition. From mocks I've seen its hard to say if any of these will necessarily be available, especially Terry cause of potential, but it seems like mid first to mid second offers a lot of potential values from what I'm seeing. Also with our history finding guys late in the 1st I'm pretty interested to see who we get.... just please be able to shoot lol.

Edited by TheRealMcCoy

12 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

That was really informative and seems like all of them would be welcomed addition. From mocks I've seen its hard to say if any of these will necessarily be available, especially Terry cause of potential, but it seems like mid first to mid second offers a lot of potential values from what I'm seeing. Also with our history finding guys late in the 1st I'm pretty interested to see who we get.... just please be able to shoot lol.

Based on who I think will be on the board at #28 I think Grant Riller, Malachi Flynn, Isaiah Joe, and Devon Dotson are all potential fits if they're looking to add guard depth. While Tyler Bey and Robert Woodard II are both potential fits if they're looking to add more size, length, and defensive versatility at the forward spot especially with Morris being a free agent. 

• Like 1

Pretty crazy that the only 1st round pick rookie teammates that LeBron has ever had in his career are Luke Jackson, Shannon Brown, JJ Hickson, Christian Eyenga, Norris Cole, and Mo Wagner. His teams have almost always traded away their picks. And with the exception of Hickson all of those guys were multi-year college players and older rookies when they entered the league. 

• Like 1

On 10/12/2020 at 5:05 AM, NYRaider said:

Pretty crazy that the only 1st round pick rookie teammates that LeBron has ever had in his career are Luke Jackson, Shannon Brown, JJ Hickson, Christian Eyenga, Norris Cole, and Mo Wagner. His teams have almost always traded away their picks. And with the exception of Hickson all of those guys were multi-year college players and older rookies when they entered the league. 

I mean, that's not surprising.  When you have one of the best players of all-time on your roster, you're not going to draft someone whose a two years away from being two years away.

• 1 month later...

Pretty interesting day so far.  Sign Wesley Matthews to a 1 year deal worth $3.263M.  His numbers are nearly identical to the numbers that Danny Green posted, but the bigger factor is Green made $15M last year.  Overall, it's a pretty even swap so it's not anything that's going to push the needle.  They also signed Montrezl Harrell to a 2 year, $19M deal after their discussions with Dwight Howard broke down.  Right now, the Lakers currently stand with their roster.

PG: Alex Caruso [$2,750,000] / Dennis Schroder [$15,500,000]
SG: Wesley Matthews [$3,623,000] / Talen Horton-Tucker [$1,517,981]
SF: LeBron James [$39,219,565]
PF: Anthony Davis [$32,742,000] / Kyle Kuzma [$3,562,178]
CT:  Montrezl Harrell [$9,258,000] / JaVale McGee [$4,200,000]

Dead Cap: Luol Deng [$5,000,000] / Quinn Cook [$1,000,000]

After those signings, the Lakers have $79.6M in guaranteed salaries, plus the $6M in dead cap from Luol Deng and Quinn Cook pushes their cap number to $85.6M.  Once Anthony Davis officially re-signs, that number jumps to $112.3M.  Because they used the BAE on Wesley Matthews and the non-tax payer MLE on Montrezl Harrell, they're hard capped at $138.9M for the entirety of the 2020-21 season.  Minimum salaries are set at 898k, which means to get to the minimum roster spot the Lakers have cap holds for that amount up to 12 roster spots.  That's ~$2.7M but they get back 898k everytime they sign a FA.  They've got some flexibility, but not a ton.  Their really only notable FA left is KCP.  Rajon Rondo is almost certainly gone.

• Like 1