Official Los Angeles Lakers Thread - 2020 NBA Champions #ForeverKobe

ttitansfan4life

My honest take on the Westbrook trade:

Realistically though, even when other Lakers fans were bashing a potential move for the Brodie, I was in support of it. You guys had minimal assets to offer and while Westbrook has his flaws I think he's probably the best player you could've landed. I view this as a Dennis Rodman to Chicago or Ron Artest to the Lakers type of move, both guys had their flaws but they had that "thing" that helped get the team over the top. Adding some shooters around your big 3 will be key but Westbrook shot the 3 ball at the same clip as Schroder last year and was literally better at everything else. I think adding him also takes a ton of pressure off of LeBron as he's a guy that will suit up all 82 game and can take over games when LeBron wants to coast. Another key will be keeping him in check and stopping him from going chucker mode in the playoffs. But I think at this point in his career he understands that this is his last chance to ever win and he'll have that chance playing with two of the top 6 players in the world, back home in Los Angeles, and have a chance to hang a banner with the Lakers. 

With how Westbrook's career arc has gone, if he's able to help the Lakers get over the top it would be probably the best case scenario for him. He gets to play for his hometown team, remove the stigma that he can't win, and likely will get to do it against former teammates Kevin Durant and James Harden. 

16 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

My honest take on the Westbrook trade:

Realistically though, even when other Lakers fans were bashing a potential move for the Brodie, I was in support of it. You guys had minimal assets to offer and while Westbrook has his flaws I think he's probably the best player you could've landed. I view this as a Dennis Rodman to Chicago or Ron Artest to the Lakers type of move, both guys had their flaws but they had that "thing" that helped get the team over the top. Adding some shooters around your big 3 will be key but Westbrook shot the 3 ball at the same clip as Schroder last year and was literally better at everything else. I think adding him also takes a ton of pressure off of LeBron as he's a guy that will suit up all 82 game and can take over games when LeBron wants to coast. Another key will be keeping him in check and stopping him from going chucker mode in the playoffs. But I think at this point in his career he understands that this is his last chance to ever win and he'll have that chance playing with two of the top 6 players in the world, back home in Los Angeles, and have a chance to hang a banner with the Lakers. 

With how Westbrook's career arc has gone, if he's able to help the Lakers get over the top it would be probably the best case scenario for him. He gets to play for his hometown team, remove the stigma that he can't win, and likely will get to do it against former teammates Kevin Durant and James Harden. 

You know....stealing the thoughts of others...... :)

The Lakers still have vet minimums and the tax payer MLE at their disposal correct? I saw a report that said DeRozan is unlikely now that you've added Westbrook and I don't think a Buddy trade is a realistic possibility anymore either. Rudy Gay is reportedly one of the "loudest names" linked to the Lakers early in free agency.

If I were the Lakers front office and had to fill out the roster, I think my ideal signings would be: 

• Match THT's offer-sheet as @CWood21 has suggested

• Sign Rudy Gay using the taxpayer MLE

Vet Minimum signings: Trevor Ariza, Dwight Howard, JJ Redick, Lou Williams, Dante Exum

Would you be able to sign all 6 of those guys in free agency? I'm not sure but I don't think that it's out of the realm of possibility. Guys like Redick, Lou, and Gay have made a ton of money over the course of their careers but have never won a ring so I think coming to LA to finally try to get one before they retire would be very appealing. Reunions with guys like Dwight/Ariza also seem like they could be realistic, two other guys that have earned a ton of money over the course of their careers, have won rings with the Lakers in the past and are headed towards the twilight of their careers. Exum has been a bust but he's a high energy defender that needs career rehab, can run some PG, and can defend 1-3. 

With these moves your rotation would probably be: 

PG - Westbrook / Lou Williams / Dante Exum

SG - THT / Redick 

SF - LeBron James / Trevor Ariza

PF - Anthony Davis / Rudy Gay

C - Dwight Howard / Marc Gasol 

@Leader @TheRealMcCoy

Edited by NYRaider
  • Like 2

I was thinking about bring Howard back as well.
Cant say I know how well he did in Philly this year, he is getting up there and I'm not sure if he's the best we could secure - but - we need SOMEBODY thats gonna work/clean the boards and that ain't Gasol.

21 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Correct. 

Hoping we take a look at Otto Porter Jr. with the mini MLE, but Rudy Gay would be good too.

OPJ is always hurt and is a so-so shooter, you guys need vets that understand their role and can space the floor. 

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

The Lakers still have vet minimums and the tax payer MLE at their disposal correct? I saw a report that said DeRozan is unlikely now that you've added Westbrook and I don't think a Buddy trade is a realistic possibility anymore either. Rudy Gay is reportedly one of the "loudest names" linked to the Lakers early in free agency.

If I were the Lakers front office and had to fill out the roster, I think my ideal signings would be: 

• Match THT's offer-sheet as @CWood21 has suggested

• Sign Rudy Gay using the taxpayer MLE

Vet Minimum signings: Trevor Ariza, Dwight Howard, JJ Redick, Lou Williams, Dante Exum

Would you be able to sign all 6 of those guys in free agency? I'm not sure but I don't think that it's out of the realm of possibility. Guys like Redick, Lou, and Gay have made a ton of money over the course of their careers but have never won a ring so I think coming to LA to finally try to get one before they retire would be very appealing. Reunions with guys like Dwight/Ariza also seem like they could be realistic, two other guys that have earned a ton of money over the course of their careers, have won rings with the Lakers in the past and are headed towards the twilight of their careers. Exum has been a bust but he's a high energy defender that needs career rehab, can run some PG, and can defend 1-3. 

With these moves your rotation would probably be: 

PG - Westbrook / Lou Williams / Dante Exum

SG - THT / Redick 

SF - LeBron James / Trevor Ariza

PF - Anthony Davis / Rudy Gay

C - Dwight Howard / Marc Gasol 

@Leader @TheRealMcCoy

I like most those moves. I hope we add Porter JR with that mid level. Would match up nice against Durant/Greek Freak. I do hope we take a shot on Exum. Rob Pelinka was his agent, and he always wanted to be a Laker. would be worth a shot for the minimum. Bringing THT is a no brainer. I would hope we bring back Wes, Mclemore, Caruso too

42 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

I like most those moves. I hope we add Porter JR with that mid level. Would match up nice against Durant/Greek Freak. I do hope we take a shot on Exum. Rob Pelinka was his agent, and he always wanted to be a Laker. would be worth a shot for the minimum. Bringing THT is a no brainer. I would hope we bring back Wes, Mclemore, Caruso too

I think using the MLE on a proven veteran like Rudy Gay, Nicolas Batum, or even Goran Dragic would make more sense. OPJ is younger but he has only played in 42 games over the past two seasons and LeBron has always been known to prefer veterans. Adding Gay/Batum would give you a big combo forward with defensive versatility that can space the floor or a guy like Dragic would give you a proven veteran guard that can space the floor and lead the second unit. 

Other 3&D guys that would make a ton of sense would include a Trevor Ariza reunion, Jeff Green, Iggy, PJ Tucker, or maybe even Carmelo Anthony. 

I'd guess that THT gets an offer sheet worth like 3 yr/$42M so by matching it you'd already be over the luxury tax line. I heard a report that Caruso is likely gone because you can easily replace him with someone on a veteran minimum like Dante Exum while lowering your tax bill. I don't really see the value in bringing back either McLemore or Matthews when both guys were unplayable in the playoffs last season. 

Rather than bringing back those 3 if I were the Lakers front office I'd look to replace them with guys like Dante Exum, Tony Snell, and JJ Redick on minimum deals. 

34 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I think using the MLE on a proven veteran like Rudy Gay, Nicolas Batum, or even Goran Dragic would make more sense. OPJ is younger but he has only played in 42 games over the past two seasons and LeBron has always been known to prefer veterans. Adding Gay/Batum would give you a big combo forward with defensive versatility that can space the floor or a guy like Dragic would give you a proven veteran guard that can space the floor and lead the second unit. 

Other 3&D guys that would make a ton of sense would include a Trevor Ariza reunion, Jeff Green, Iggy, PJ Tucker, or maybe even Carmelo Anthony. 

I'd guess that THT gets an offer sheet worth like 3 yr/$42M so by matching it you'd already be over the luxury tax line. I heard a report that Caruso is likely gone because you can easily replace him with someone on a veteran minimum like Dante Exum while lowering your tax bill. I don't really see the value in bringing back either McLemore or Matthews when both guys were unplayable in the playoffs last season. 

Rather than bringing back those 3 if I were the Lakers front office I'd look to replace them with guys like Dante Exum, Tony Snell, and JJ Redick on minimum deals. 

Mclemore and Wes are shooters, but unable to create their own shot. Lakers have a big 3 that need to be surrounded by shooters. we are going to have to go the cheap route for shooters to fill out the depth. Last year in the playoffs, there was no one creating open looks with AD out and Lebron playing hurt. 

3 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

Mclemore and Wes are shooters, but unable to create their own shot. Lakers have a big 3 that need to be surrounded by shooters. we are going to have to go the cheap route for shooters to fill out the depth. Last year in the playoffs, there was no one creating open looks with AD out and Lebron playing hurt. 

McLemore shot 33% from 3 and Matthews shot 28% from 3 in the playoffs.