Official Los Angeles Lakers Thread - 2020 NBA Champions #ForeverKobe

ttitansfan4life

On 9/11/2021 at 11:54 PM, NYRaider said:

But there were also reports that the front office was split on what move to make. And based on reports that LeBron/AD were actively recruiting Westbrook I think it's fair to assume that the front office wanted Buddy but LeBron wanted Westbrook and he got his way.

I don't really think there was really any split in opinions.  I think the consensus was that Hield was a cleaner fit, but Westbrook was the better player.

On 9/13/2021 at 8:02 AM, Sllim Pickens said:

It still shocks me that people let Lebron be the GM.  He is just as bad as MJ at putting a "team" together.  It worked in Miami but he has always been about keeping his friends around instead of whats best for the team.  Hield and any PG are better for that team than Westbrook.  

You must not have watched Schroder last year.

4 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

You must not have watched Schroder last year.

I saw him, and I still think he and Hield are better around Lebron than Westbrook.  Obviously they could have upgraded from him but Lebron has always been better with shooters and he trades all of the shooters for a guy who doesnt shoot.  Just a dumb move IMO. 

Just now, Sllim Pickens said:

I saw him, and I still think he and Hield are better around Lebron than Westbrook.  Obviously they could have upgraded from him but Lebron has always been better with shooters and he trades all of the shooters for a guy who doesnt shoot.  Just a dumb move IMO. 

Schroder was awful both in terms of fit and play.  He plays too much "me first" basketball.  And the bigger issue is that when LeBron James was off the court, the offense stalled.  Badly.  The Lakers have enough shooters around their Big 3.

9 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Schroder was awful both in terms of fit and play.  He plays too much "me first" basketball.  And the bigger issue is that when LeBron James was off the court, the offense stalled.  Badly.  The Lakers have enough shooters around their Big 3.

Westbrook is better for them to get through the season and rest Lebron, maybe. But they are an awful fit when on the court together.  A ball dominant non shooter is the last thing that you want on the court with Lebron. The shooters around Lebron are nothing special, and not many you can depend on or trust in a tight game.  

And I am not saying Schroeder is a good fit, just saying Westbrook is a worse fit. 

15 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Westbrook is better for them to get through the season and rest Lebron, maybe. But they are an awful fit when on the court together.  A ball dominant non shooter is the last thing that you want on the court with Lebron. The shooters around Lebron are nothing special, and not many you can depend on or trust in a tight game.  

And I am not saying Schroeder is a good fit, just saying Westbrook is a worse fit. 

The same thing was said about LeBron and Dwyane Wade.  And they had a TON of team and individual success with both of them.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

The same thing was said about LeBron and Dwyane Wade.  And they had a TON of team and individual success with both of them.

They said it because they were both stars and had concerns on who was going to take the big shot.  Not because Wade didn't fit with Lebron game wise.  And Wade was at his peak of his career, as was Lebron.  Lebron isn't what he was, and Westbrook sure isn't.  The best Lebron teams have been those with shooters around him.  Not guys that can clog the paint.  

3 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

They said it because they were both stars and had concerns on who was going to take the big shot.  Not because Wade didn't fit with Lebron game wise.  And Wade was at his peak of his career, as was Lebron.  Lebron isn't what he was, and Westbrook sure isn't.  The best Lebron teams have been those with shooters around him.  Not guys that can clog the paint.  

They're similar in terms of playstyles and fit.  Both were mediocre shooters (Westbrook is a career 30.5% from beyond the arc, Wade was 29.3%).  Both had high usage rates (Westbrook career 32.5%, Wade 31.4%).  If there's one thing we've seen over the years, if stars are able to put their egos aside they tend to come out on top.

6 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

They said it because they were both stars and had concerns on who was going to take the big shot.  Not because Wade didn't fit with Lebron game wise.  

That's revisionist history. There were plenty of people questioning the fit of LeBron and Wade on the court, and not just about who would take a potential last shot.

• Like 1

On 9/14/2021 at 8:12 AM, CWood21 said:

That was 26 year old LeBron and 29 year old Wade. Wade wasn't a great 3P shooter but he was an efficient scorer, he was averaging over 20 ppg on 50%+ FG with LeBron. Wade also didn't turn the ball over at a crazy high rate, Russ averaged 5 TO per game last year and has never come close to shooting 50% from the field. 

On 9/14/2021 at 2:32 PM, seminoles1 said:

That's revisionist history. There were plenty of people questioning the fit of LeBron and Wade on the court, and not just about who would take a potential last shot.

It worked because Wade was willing to play second fiddle to LeBron. His scoring numbers went down but his efficiency numbers went up. Wade had also proven to be a clutch playoff performer, Westbrook has been one of the worst players in the playoffs the last two seasons. 

2020: 17.9 ppg, 7.0 rpg, 4.6 apg on 42/24/53 splits with a 12.1 PER

2021: 19.0 ppg, 10.4 rpg, 11.8 apg on 33/25/79 splits with a 15.7 PER

23 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Nothing I've said was wrong.  Hield was the cleaner fit, Westbrook is clearly the more talented player.

You said there wasn't any split in opinions when there were direct sources saying the front office was split and Kuzma has publicly said he thought the Kings deal was official, lol.

• 3 months later...