Official Los Angeles Lakers Thread - 2020 NBA Champions #ForeverKobe

ttitansfan4life

3 hours ago, TJM217 said:

Even though I will miss Nance and to a lesser extent Clarkson, This is a great trade for us and the Cavs. A ture win-win trade

From an emotional standpoint, it's definitely disappointing to see Clarkson and LNJ leaving.  But that being said, this was a deal the Lakers had to make.  They had to clear the cap space in order to have two max FA.  They weren't going to sign LeBron James, unless they can sign a second star FA and now they have the ability to sign both LeBron James and Paul George.

PG: Lonzo Ball / Tyler Ennis / Alex Caruso / Gary Payton II
SG: Kentavious Caldwell-Pope / Isaiah Thomas / Josh Hart
SF: Brandon Ingram / Corey Brewer / Luol Deng
PF: Julius Randle / Kyle Kuzma / Channing Frye
C: Brook Lopez / Ivica Zubac / Thomas Bryant

The rotation shrinks down a bit.  IT is the 6th man off the bench when everyone is healthy, and Josh Hart is the backup wing.  And then Kyle Kuzma is still your 3rd big.

19 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

I really hope they can trade Deng instead of stretching him; the Cavs' 1st rounder makes it possible.  Deng + 1st/rookie they pick + 2020 1st...but obviously only after they get commitments.

They could send their 2019 1st if they make the deal after the draft, which would be the most likely scenario.  In an ideal world, they'd clear his money off the books and throw some good money at Clint Capela.  Lonzo/PG/Ingram/LeBron/Capela would be a fun team to watch.

5 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

They could send their 2019 1st if they make the deal after the draft, which would be the most likely scenario.  In an ideal world, they'd clear his money off the books and throw some good money at Clint Capela.  Lonzo/PG/Ingram/LeBron/Capela would be a fun team to watch.

Plus Kuzma and Hart off the bench...though the Lakers won't be able to throw enough money at Capela for Houston not to match.

Lots of other good options, though.

Just now, seminoles1 said:

Plus Kuzma and Hart off the bench...though the Lakers won't be able to throw enough money at Capela for Houston not to match.

Lots of other good options, though.

I think whatever they clear from Deng's contract they can turn around and spend on Capela.  Is $17M enough to scare off Houston?  Probably not, but it forces the issue for them.

On 2/10/2018 at 8:44 AM, CWood21 said:

The Lakers should pursue Paul George this summer and then Klay Thompson or Kawhi Leonard next summer. 

Ball - Thompson/Leonard - Ingram - George - Center 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2018 at 3:42 PM, Ferris35 said:

The Lakers should pursue Paul George this summer and then Klay Thompson or Kawhi Leonard next summer. 

Ball - Thompson/Leonard - Ingram - George - Center 

There's little doubt that Paul George is their primary target.  LeBron isn't coming to Los Angeles without another star coming, so if the Lakers miss out on George you can rule out LeBron.  The question is, are the Lakers better off signing LeBron with Paul George or punting the cap space into next year for Klay Thompson or Kawhi Leonard?

1 hour ago, ttitansfan4life said:

1 win away from last years win total. I was expecting around 32 wins this year. So there is definitely a possibility to beat that. I’m starting to like the idea of keeping Randle around as well. He’s developed pretty well and I think it’s safe to say hes easily the best player on the team right now.

We're on pace for 35 wins, and that's a huge success if we hit that mark.  Randle is probably the most consistent, but i don't think he's the best.

On 2/25/2018 at 6:16 AM, ttitansfan4life said:

1 win away from last years win total. I was expecting around 32 wins this year. So there is definitely a possibility to beat that. I’m starting to like the idea of keeping Randle around as well. He’s developed pretty well and I think it’s safe to say hes easily the best player on the team right now.

Yeah I'm really warming up to the idea of holding onto him as well.  He's a throwback how he gets to the rack.  Which could come in handy at the 5 vs small ball lineups if he ever manages to develop an outside shot.  He even bullied KAT on a drive recently.  Obvs not a top notch defender, but he's a big dude.

What about trying to sign PG13 and letting KCP walk.  Ink IT to a 1 year prove it deal. He's not going to get a good deal on the open market.  Lets him prove his worth to other teams since he's been decent with us and then we can trade him at the deadline for him to tryout somewhere else.  Finally, re-up Randle.  We can always trade him later if we choose, no?  Dude's been an animal.

1- Zo/IT

2- PG13/Hart

3- Ingram

4 - Randle/Kuzma

5- - ??/Zu

lots of versatility

I kind of like Lopez too.  He spaces the floor and can score down low.  He's slow, so he trails and can pop a tre in transition when the other guys run.  Big enough to be a rim protector.

I’d like all 3 of Randle, Lopez, and IT all back especially Randle. I don’t think neither are worth max although Randle has been damn impressive. Have to find a way to get rid of that garbage Deng contract. Going to be an interesting offseason. Things are finally starting to get interesting again in Laker Land. Hopefully Pelinka and Magic don’t screw it up.

On 3/3/2018 at 5:57 PM, Silver&Black88 said:

Yeah I'm really warming up to the idea of holding onto him as well.  He's a throwback how he gets to the rack.  Which could come in handy at the 5 vs small ball lineups if he ever manages to develop an outside shot.  He even bullied KAT on a drive recently.  Obvs not a top notch defender, but he's a big dude.

If the price tag is right, I'm interested in retaining him.  I don't think he'll get max deal, but I think Dallas is going to throw a very generous offer at the Lakers.  If we could get him somewhere in that 3 year, $36M range I'd be very intrigued.  Something tells me he's getting closer to 4 years, $60M from Dallas.

On 3/11/2018 at 10:10 PM, ttitansfan4life said:

I’d like all 3 of Randle, Lopez, and IT all back especially Randle. I don’t think neither are worth max although Randle has been damn impressive. Have to find a way to get rid of that garbage Deng contract. Going to be an interesting offseason. Things are finally starting to get interesting again in Laker Land. Hopefully Pelinka and Magic don’t screw it up.

The problem is both IT and Lopez are going to want long-term contracts, which isn't what the Lakers are going to want to tie their cap space up.  I think they're going to do an all-out press on Paul George this offseason, and if they secure him it comes down to whether or not they can land LeBron as well.