Official Los Angeles Lakers Thread - 2020 NBA Champions #ForeverKobe

ttitansfan4life

1 hour ago, 11sanchez11 said:

You guys should just go after Jimmy. Would most certainly be the favorite with him. Helps defensively and can be the secondary ballhandler and #3 scorer. I think he helps more than anyone else out there (except Kawhi but that's not happening).

I think Kyrie Irving is a cleaner fit, especially post-LeBron.

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

How can the Lakers afford Kawhi or Kyrie? I thought you guys only had $23.7M to spend? 

All they need to do is find a team whose willing to take on Mo Wagner, Isaac Bonga, and Jemerio Moon and they can match salaries for an Anthony Davis trade assuming Anthony Davis is willing to waive his trade kicker.  But prior to the trade, they can sign a max FA outright but they lose the ability to take on Anthony Davis' contract unless they can match salaries via trade.  Right now, they're absorbing the difference between Ingram/Hart/Ball and Anthony Davis using salary cap space.  It benefits the Lakers to acquire him via matching salaries.

7 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I think they're gunning for Kawhi with Kyrie as their "backup" option.  Part of me is intrigued by going the role player route.  Grab Patrick Beverley, Danny Green, and Brook Lopez for multi-year deals.  Sign JaVale McGee, Trevor Ariza, and Rajon Rondo for veteran minimums.

PG: Patrick Beverley / Rajon Rondo / Isaac Bonga
SG: Danny Green
SF: LeBron James / Trevor Ariza / Talen Horton-Tucker
PF: Anthony Davis / Kyle Kuzma
C: Brook Lopez / JaVale McGee / Mo Wagner

The obvious best path to take unless Kawhi signs.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I think they're gunning for Kawhi with Kyrie as their "backup" option.

I certainly wouldnt balk at adding a talent like Kawhi - who (water under the bridge already and in the ocean by this time.....I preferred getting over LeBron) - I'm just not sure the financials are gonna get pulled off or leave us enough flexibility to round out the roster - which is why I didnt become a NBA GM. If the LAL cant get Kawhi - TOR would be my preferred destination for him. Keeps that team at the top of Eastern Conference competition and slows down the migration of all the East talent to the West. 

As for D'Lo......

It's not happening.  I don't know why people are referring to Arye as a legitimate source.  It's almost as bad as using Joe Arrigo as a source.

I cant say it is happening.....or who Arye is (I've been posting clickbait from the NY Post.....) but I like the position he'd fill, his age and talent.

That said, I think something along these lines is best for the overall roster and financial flexibility going forward:

Part of me is intrigued by going the role player route.  Grab Patrick Beverley, Danny Green, and Brook Lopez for multi-year deals.  Sign JaVale McGee, Trevor Ariza, and Rajon Rondo for veteran minimums.

PG: Patrick Beverley / Rajon Rondo / Isaac Bonga
SG: Danny Green
SF: LeBron James / Trevor Ariza / Talen Horton-Tucker
PF: Anthony Davis / Kyle Kuzma
C: Brook Lopez / JaVale McGee / Mo Wagner

8 hours ago, CWood21 said:

All they need to do is find a team whose willing to take on Mo Wagner, Isaac Bonga, and Jemerio Moon

Again you are expecting a team to help the Lakers gain more cap while at the same time losing their own cause the kindness of their heart. 

2 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

Again you are expecting a team to help the Lakers gain more cap while at the same time losing their own cause the kindness of their heart. 

They could find a team as long as they attach their 2020 1st rounder.

Those rebuilding teams don't give a damn if it helps the Lakers in the short term or not as they just want to accumulate draft picks. 

14 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

They could find a team as long as they attach their 2020 1st rounder.

Those rebuilding teams don't give a damn if it helps the Lakers in the short term or not as they just want to accumulate draft picks. 

Can they trade their pick next year?  Their '21 is already traded.

Edited by 11sanchez11

8 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Since the draft has concluded, couldn't they trade their 2020 1st rounder? Thought they just couldn't trade it before the draft? 

Well that would mean they traded back to back picks since their '21 is already traded. And you can't trade B2B picks so I doubt they can trade a pick until '26.

1 minute ago, 11sanchez11 said:

Well that would mean they traded back to back picks since their '21 is already traded. And you can't trade B2B picks so I doubt they can trade a pick until '26.

The NBA’s Ted Stepien Rule, named after a former Cavaliers owner who was fond of trading draft picks, prevents teams from trading away future first-round selections in back-to-back years. In other words, a club can’t be without at least one first-round pick (its own or another team’s) in consecutive future seasons. A team can still trade its first-round pick every year if it wants to, but if that club has already dealt away its 2018 first-rounder, it will have to wait until after the ’18 draft to trade its 2019 pick.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2017/09/trade-restrictions-on-future-draft-picks-by-team.html

I don't know, I take it as they can trade the 2020 pick NOW, since the 2019 draft has concluded. But with the 2021 pick being traded, it makes it a bit murky.

4 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

But with the 2021 pick being traded, it makes it a bit murky.

I don't think it is murky. You can't trade B2B picks. In that scenario above you would assume the team still had their '20 pick. At this moment the Lakers can't trade until '26 at the earliest but even that might turn into '27 because the Pellies deferment rights.

4 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

I don't think it is murky. You can't trade B2B picks. In that scenario above you would assume the team still had their '20 pick. At this moment the Lakers can't trade until '26 at the earliest but even that might turn into '27 because the Pellies deferment rights.

Again, you CAN trade back to back picks. I just posted a link explaining that. What makes this case different is that the 2021 pick is also traded. 

So let's say the Lakers still had their 2021 pick but traded only their 2019 pick to the Pelicans. That would mean they would just have to wait until after the 2019 draft to trade their 2020 pick. Only thing is the 2021 pick is possibly on the table since it is top 8 protected and that is where I said it gets murky.

But looking at it, they may not be able to trade it. Since it clearly says you can trade back to back picks as long as you have future 1st rounders. In this case the 2021 1st rounder is seen as being traded. 

56 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Again, you CAN trade back to back picks.

You can only trade back to back picks if you have multiple 1sts in one of those years. That's it. The Lakers don't. 

You can trade B2B 'picks' on draft day (or after) because they don't count as picks anymore they count as players. That's why on draft day the players get picked by the original team that had the draft pick even tho they are going to another team. The team isnt trading the draft pick, they are trading the player.

So the only scenario you can trade B2B 1sts is if you have multiple 1sts in the year you are trading the picks.

Edited by 11sanchez11

13 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

You can only trade back to back picks if you have multiple 1sts in one of those years. That's it. The Lakers don't. 

You can trade B2B 'picks' on draft day (or after) because they don't count as picks anymore they count as players. That's why on draft day the players get picked by the original team that had the draft pick even tho they are going to another team. The team isnt trading the draft pick, they are trading the player.

So the only scenario you can trade B2B 1sts is if you have multiple 1sts in the year you are trading the picks.

In some instances, this rule can be applied fairly easily. For example, the Lakers have traded away their unprotected 2018 pick. That prevents the club from trading its 2019 first-round pick unless it acquires a separate 2018 first-rounder. After the 2018 draft though, those restrictions disappear.

I took that as they can trade their 2019 first rounder even without multiple first round picks after the draft. 

The only thing here preventing the Lakers from trading their 2020 1st rounder is not having the 2021 1st rounder.