Official Los Angeles Lakers Thread - 2020 NBA Champions #ForeverKobe

ttitansfan4life

The Lakers can't trade their 2020 1st rounder.

Also, teams don't view these trades as helping the Lakers. They'll do them if they like the players/return. I mean the Mavericks traded for washed Andrew Bogut so the Warriors could sign Kevin Durant, so it's not like teams give a ****. People kept taking Houston's trash a couple years ago for cash.

I would gladly take Wagner or Bonga on the Grizzlies simply for heavily protected 2nd round picks. Plenty of teams would.

53 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I took that as they can trade their 2019 first rounder even without multiple first round picks after the draft. 

yes, because once the draft happens the players don't count as draft picks. Deandre Hunter was announced as a Laker because they aren't trading for the draft pick, they are trading for the player after he is drafted. So it is not really trading B2B picks. They traded Hunter's rights after he was drafted. So they can trade the 2019 pick. 

53 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

The only thing here preventing the Lakers from trading their 2020 1st rounder is not having the 2021 1st rounder. 

yes. they would be able to trade their pick this year if they didn't already have their '21 pick traded. 

Edited by 11sanchez11

13 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Teams don't view these trades as helping the Lakers. They'll do them if they like the players/return. I mean the Mavericks traded for washed Andrew Bogut so the Warriors could sign Kevin Durant, so it's not like teams give a ****. People kept taking Houston's trash a couple years ago for cash. I would gladly take Wagner or Bonga on the Grizzlies simply for heavily protected 2nd round picks. Plenty of teams would.

Exactly right.

All these "why would any team help the Lakers posts" are silly. I personally couldn't tell you what the players in question are valued at but if another team views one or more of them as helping their roster - they'll make a deal.

22 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Also, teams don't view these trades as helping the Lakers. They'll do them if they like the players/return.

That was the point of my post. They are trading nothing players. 

Also the the team would have to use cap space and roster spots on them. Which cuts down the available options. 

15 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

Also the the team would have to use cap space and roster spots on them. Which cuts down the available options. 

Wagner and Bonga were both top 40 picks a year ago. They don't hold absolutely no value, though obviously they aren't assets or anything at this point. Teams with little to no young talent would take those players for nothing.

48 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Also, teams don't view these trades as helping the Lakers. They'll do them if they like the players/return. I mean the Mavericks traded for washed Andrew Bogut so the Warriors could sign Kevin Durant, so it's not like teams give a ****. People kept taking Houston's trash a couple years ago for cash.

I would gladly take Wagner or Bonga on the Grizzlies simply for heavily protected 2nd round picks. Plenty of teams would.

That's what I'm getting at.  I actually think the Hawks are an ideal team to "dump" Wagner and Bonga on.

27 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

Two top 40 picks who are still on their rookie contracts?  Sure.

11 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Two top 40 picks who are still on their rookie contracts?  Sure.

Josh Jackson was a top 5 pick two years ago. Okobo was the 31st pick last year. We are trying to trade both for cap space. We haven't been able to trade them. If you are a terrible team JJ and Okobo have way more value than Wagner and Bonga.

You have to find a team with cap space, that doesn't have plans to use it or it won't hurt their plans, roster spots available, and that value the players. Its not that easy.

Edited by 11sanchez11

7 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

Josh Jackson was a top 5 pick two years ago. Okobo was the 31st pick last year. We are trying to trade both for cap space. We haven't been able to trade them. If you are a terrible team JJ and Okobo have way more value than Wagner and Bonga.

You have to find a team with cap space, that doesn't have plans to use it or it won't hurt their plans, roster spots available, and that value the players. Its not that easy.

Have the Suns actually tried trading them into cap space, or are they trying to get something back?  I don't see the Suns just salary dumping those two, but I don't follow the Suns very closely.

6 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

I'd gladly take them both on the Grizzlies for a 2nd or 2.

Honestly, I think they're waiting to see if they have a commitment from a FA.  I think they could offer up a Wagner/Bonga package and take back a veteran whose making a bit less than $6.2M next year.