Official Los Angeles Lakers Thread - 2020 NBA Champions #ForeverKobe

ttitansfan4life

Just now, resilient part 2 said:

The injury to B Lopez, though I thought he was playing well this season, is a blessing in disguise. Allowing Kuz to start gives the Lakers a very spread it out lineup. Kuz has enough size to play multiple positions anyway.

Yea he’s played phenomenal. He’s exactly what LA needed. Very versatile and if he continues to play like this, no reason he shouldn’t be in the ROY finalists.

On 12/22/2017 at 10:32 PM, Silver&Black88 said:

rather get something guaranteed for Randle

At this point it is the most logical approach. Even local reporters are questioning Randle's future with the team, so they must have known something was in the works. 

Wouldn't surprise me if Randle ends up doing well somewhere else. As for the potential return, Noel is a good defensive big who can run the floor. 

Any deal is far from certain, but there's a lot of chatter going on here. There's about 6 weeks or so until the deadline.

In the back of the minds of Magic and Pelinka is the cap space for this summer. Right now we can afford one max, which would be great. But shedding additional cap space would be ideal. 

KCP and Lopez are on their last year of deals, which would take some $20+ mil off the books. There's the money that nearly represents the first max deal for this summer. 

To get the 2nd is more tricky. Unless they can unload Deng, which is unlikely, a guy like Randle would need to be let go because of the money he would want. Question is whether or not we can keep guys like Nance and Clarkson (assuming Lonzo, BI, Kuzma are untouchable) while trying to max out cap space. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, billking said:

I agree with Reggie Miller, Earving needs to squash Lavar and tell him to shut up or we'll trade your kid.

Agreed.  I don't think they should trade Lonzo (previous post was hyperbole), but Magic and/or Pelinka need to just make 1 statement about how LaVar has no say in this front office, we don't agree or condone his statements, and this is the last time we'll talk about the parent of 1 of our players.

On 1/9/2018 at 3:53 PM, billking said:

I agree with Reggie Miller, Earving needs to squash Lavar and tell him to shut up or we'll trade your kid.

Not going to happen.  They're not going to alienate Lonzo by forcing him to choose between his father and the franchise.

On 1/9/2018 at 5:49 PM, seminoles1 said:

Agreed.  I don't think they should trade Lonzo (previous post was hyperbole), but Magic and/or Pelinka need to just make 1 statement about how LaVar has no say in this front office, we don't agree or condone his statements, and this is the last time we'll talk about the parent of 1 of our players.

It needs to be Lonzo.  And quite frankly, I don't think he'll do it and quite frankly I don't think the Lakers really care.  They were rather quiet about for a while after his comments.

On 1/10/2018 at 4:48 PM, CWood21 said:

It needs to be Lonzo.  And quite frankly, I don't think he'll do it and quite frankly I don't think the Lakers really care.  They were rather quiet about for a while after his comments.

I kind of don't think he needs to say anything, nor do the Lakers as an organization.  I read an opinion piece the other day (on CBSSports I think) about it that actually changed my mind.  I used to think Lonzo needed to come out and support Walton and the Lakers should too.  But all that would do is set Lonzo up to be picked apart by the media.  He's good at handling them but I feel it would bring unnecessary distraction.  Further, Pop summed it up well with his comments:

“Whenever anyone says anything about another individual or about the quality of another individual, or what they’re doing, I think the first thing to look at is the substance and gravitas of the source that speaks,” Popovich told ESPN.com. “Just stopping at that point would tell you that you don’t need to listen or go any further. It’s just another fan in the peanut gallery with an opinion, which is meaningless.”

https://nypost.com/2018/01/12/gregg-popovich-adds-to-lavar-ball-fury-hes-meaningless/

Acknowledging him as if he has a real voice just adds fuel to the fire.  Its like inception.  He doesn't matter.  Don't treat him as if he does. Of course, as I write this, Jeanie Buss comes out in support of Luke so whatever:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22082792/luke-walton-head-coach-los-angeles-lakers-gets-support-owner-jeanie-buss

8 hours ago, Silver&Black88 said:

I kind of don't think he needs to say anything, nor do the Lakers as an organization.  I read an opinion piece the other day (on CBSSports I think) about it that actually changed my mind.  I used to think Lonzo needed to come out and support Walton and the Lakers should too.  But all that would do is set Lonzo up to be picked apart by the media.  He's good at handling them but I feel it would bring unnecessary distraction.  Further, Pop summed it up well with his comments:

I was talking more about behind closed doors talk.  I mean, it's one thing to be his usual self but it's another thing to publicly criticize the franchise his son plays for.

• 4 weeks later...