Will Doctson Make the Roster?

MKnight82

4 hours ago, Doc Draper said:

I think they keep him this year

I think you are right.  But I am guessing he has a short leash.  If he gets nicked, he will lose his spot.  Sims/Harmon blocking is a huge advantage.  

Unfortunately keeping him is kind of a lose lose situation.  He has a good season, he likely walks.  He has a bad season, he holds team back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, offbyone said:

I think you are right.  But I am guessing he has a short leash.  If he gets nicked, he will lose his spot.  Sims/Harmon blocking is a huge advantage.  

Unfortunately keeping him is kind of a lose lose situation.  He has a good season, he likely walks.  He has a bad season, he holds team back.

Actually, I think its McLaurin and PRich who are projected to start at this date unless Doctson does something fabulous in the next two weeks and Terry looks like a lost rookie. I don't see Sims or Harmon starting this year.

I think there's a chance if we keep Doctson and he balls out that another team will give him a huge contract and then we can either beat that contract or let him walk and take the 2021 comp pick. So, that’s not really a lose, lose in my eyes.

And, if Doctson has a bad season, I don’t think it holds the team back. If Terry McLaurin gets to start over Doctson bc he’s shown more in the offseason and in the preseason then I see that as a step forward for the team, not a step backwards.

Edited by turtle28

Personally feel like the fact Doctson didn't play last week as a huge sign he's making the roster.

Also know not agree I don't think Doctson is as much of a bust as someone we never use the way his skill set transfers,His skill set is moreDeep, jump ball/adjust body contested catches,and we use him as a seperation short route guy for the most part which isn't close to his strong suit

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ovfd55 said:

Personally feel like the fact Doctson didn't play last week as a huge sign he's making the roster.

Also know not agree I don't think Doctson is as much of a bust as someone we never use the way his skill set transfers,His skill set is moreDeep, jump ball/adjust body contested catches,and we use him as a seperation short route guy for the most part which isn't close to his strong suit

Yeah, Gruden tries to use Doctson like Garçon and that’s not Doctson’s skill set. I think that’s why Gruden didn’t want to draft Doctson. Instead, Gruden wanted Michael Thomas bc Thomas was the better route runner and while Thomas doesn’t have the ups/high point 50/50 ball ability that Doctson has, in Gruden’s timing offense, running more precise routes means more.

Edited by turtle28

19 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I think you're overrating Robert Davis

Very possible.

However, I have a good sense in what Josh Doctson is in the NFL. Not sure that I do about Davis, but I would be willing to give him a try at WR4/5/6.

1 hour ago, ovfd55 said:

I just wonder if those Achilles injuries really prevent him from doing those things.  

10 minutes ago, Woz said:

Very possible.

However, I have a good sense in what Josh Doctson is in the NFL. Not sure that I do about Davis, but I would be willing to give him a try at WR4/5/6.

So you’d rather have the guy you don't know about then the guy you do, I just dot think NFL coaches think that way. At least Gruden knows he’ll get average WR play w/ a few highlights out of Doctson, I don't know that the late-round guys and UDFAs outside of Quinn can even give the team that vs NFL starting caliber and.

I get that bc you like Robert Davis’s upside but I don't think that keeps Doctson from making the team.

I think it top 4 spots are locked at WR and 4 or 5 guys are competing for the last two spots.

The way I see it is that Davis is competing against Harmon, Kidsay, Sims and Chesson to be one of the last players to make the entire roster.

Just now, turtle28 said:

So you’d rather have the guy you don't know about then the guy you do,

When the guy I do know about looks like a JAG, yeah, give me the unknown. Maybe he's a complete bust as well, but at least there's a chance he's not. If nothing else, he's significantly cheaper and under control for another two years (three if you want to use the franchise tag).

It's why I have been upset they keep bringing Brian Quick back. Or kept Ryan Grant for so many years.

2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

t least Gruden knows he’ll get average WR play w/ a few highlights out of Doctson, I don't know that the late-round guys and UDFAs outside of Quinn can even give the team that vs NFL starting caliber and.

If you want average play, then keep the cheaper average WR in Brian Quick. At my WR4/5/6, I'm willing to spin the wheel to see if I get lucky.

3 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

The way I see it is that Davis is competing against Harmon, Kidsay, Sims and Chesson to be one of the last players to make the entire roster.

Harmon's probably got the inside track due to being a rookie draft pick. If by "Sims" you mean Cam and not Stephen, I think he looks to be on too. Chesson and Kidsy have miniscule chances.

28 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I just wonder if those Achilles injuries really prevent him from doing those things.  

I’d have to disagree there:

Sometimes you just gotta throw up high to a WR who is good at high pointing 50/50 balls for big plays and ignore that he has a defender on him who has his back to the QB in coverage. PRich, Doctson and Reed can all make these plays consistently if our starting QB gives them more chances to go up and get it even if it looks like they're covered.

I think all 3 of the QBs we have right now - Keenum, McCoy and Haskins - are more likely to throw 50/50 balls to PRich, Doctson and Reed than Cousins and Alex Smith were. That probably leads to a handful more interceptions this year but it also could lead to some more big plays downfield.

Edited by turtle28

14 minutes ago, Woz said:

When the guy I do know about looks like a JAG, yeah, give me the unknown. Maybe he's a complete bust as well, but at least there's a chance he's not. If nothing else, he's significantly cheaper and under control for another two years (three if you want to use the franchise tag).

It's why I have been upset they keep bringing Brian Quick back. Or kept Ryan Grant for so many years.

If you want average play, then keep the cheaper average WR in Brian Quick. At my WR4/5/6, I'm willing to spin the wheel to see if I get lucky.

Harmon's probably got the inside track due to being a rookie draft pick. If by "Sims" you mean Cam and not Stephen, I think he looks to be on too. Chesson and Kidsy have miniscule chances.

Brian Quick can't make the plays on the ball with the ball high in the air that Doctson can. The only players on the Redskins roster that I’ve seen on this team do that against starting caliber DBs in the NFL other than Doctson are Prich and Reed.

I hope that Cam Sims and Harmon make some plays the next few preseason games, I’d really like to see what they have before I go crowing them. Especially Sims, the guy made a lot of plays in each of the last two training camps in one on one drills mostly against guys who didn't make NFL roster and same with the preseason last year. He didn't do much vs the Browns and I've read that he runs inconsistent routes which hurts him more than it hurts Doctson for reasons I've already said like he's an undrafted free agent and not a first round pick.

Edited by turtle28

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Actually, I think its McLaurin and PRich who are projected to start at this date unless Doctson does something fabulous in the next two weeks and Terry looks like a lost rookie. I don't see Sims or Harmon starting this year.

I think there's a chance if we keep Doctson and he balls out that another team will give him a huge contract and then we can either beat that contract or let him walk and take the 2021 comp pick. So, that’s not really a lose, lose in my eyes.

And, if Doctson has a bad season, I don’t think it holds the team back. If Terry McLaurin gets to start over Doctson bc he’s shown more in the offseason and in the preseason then I see that as a step forward for the team, not a step backwards.

That doesn't make sense to me.  McLaurin's natural position should be in Paul Richardson's spot.  If McLaurin can play a second WR position, I would think he would be backing up Trey Quinn.  I would think Sims and Harmon are natural fits for Doctson's spot.

9 minutes ago, offbyone said:

That doesn't make sense to me.  McLaurin's natural position should be in Paul Richardson's spot.  If McLaurin can play a second WR position, I would think he would be backing up Trey Quinn.  I would think Sims and Harmon are natural fits for Doctson's spot.

I've heard McLaurin has been learning all 3 positions and McLaurin’s body style compares to Pierre Garcon who, as I’m sure you know started in Doctson’s position from 2014-2017. They're both 6’, and have a muscular build for a WR. Garcon weighed 211, TMc weighs 210.

Edited by turtle28