Will Doctson Make the Roster?

MKnight82

if I controlled the roster my (skill guys) wide receivers and RB would be 

RB - MVP, Guice, Thompson  and Wilson as Punt returner.  Reynolds on practice squad if any other injuries during the year

WR- Chesson for special teams, Davis, McLaurin, Quinn, Richardson.  Sims and Harmon  on practice squad to develop and if injuries. 

That means we can try to get a draft pick  for Doctson.

QB- Keenum, Haskins. Yep only keeping 2 because Colt cant ever be a number 1 so use the position somewhere else like keeping an extra developing OL where we have been ravaged by injuries every year . Can we get a pick for Colt? 

1 hour ago, Doc Draper said:

WR- Chesson for special teams, Davis, McLaurin, Quinn, Richardson.  Sims and Harmon  on practice squad to develop and if injuries. 

That means we can try to get a draft pick  for Doctson

Chesson over Sims & Harmon?! Yeeeeeeep.

I don't care that he plays teams; he's slow and has hands of stone.

23 minutes ago, Woz said:

Chesson over Sims & Harmon?! Yeeeeeeep.

I don't care that he plays teams; he's slow and has hands of stone.

Harmon should definitely make the team and I've heard he can play the slot and outside, which helps him. Plus, he obviously attacks the ball which was evident last night and we need guys like that. I’ve also heard he’s a good special teams player. So, you put Harmon up against Chesson and it’s easy to see that Harmon is that dude. He’s currently better and has more upside. I Think he can be a poor man’s Garçon or at least it seems that way.

I’m not sold on Sims. People fell in love with him bc of a few plays last preseason in the 4th quarter vs other scrubs but I’ve heard he’s a sloppy route runner. So, I guess he’s like a poor man’s Doctson? I don’t know, thats what I'm thinking at least.

Davis and Kidsay have certainly shown more than Chesson and Sims. 

1 hour ago, Doc Draper said:

if I controlled the roster my (skill guys) wide receivers and RB would be 

RB - MVP, Guice, Thompson  and Wilson as Punt returner.  Reynolds on practice squad if any other injuries during the year

That means we can try to get a draft pick  for Doctson.

QB- Keenum, Haskins. Yep only keeping 2 because Colt cant ever be a number 1 so use the position somewhere else like keeping an extra developing OL where we have been ravaged by injuries every year . Can we get a pick for Colt? 

Probably better luck waiting to get a comp pick for Doctson than trying to trade him now. Off of a year where he had to play with 4 QBs and not having shown anything in preseason yet, I don't know what you’d get for Doctson at this point? A conditional 7th?

If he plays this year and does more bc Keenum and Haskins give him more chances then we could get a mid to late round comp pick for Doctson in the 2021 draft.

Edited by turtle28

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Probably better luck waiting to get a comp pick for Doctson than trying to trade him now. Off of a year where he had to play with 4 QBs and not having shown anything in preseason yet, I don't know what you’d get for Doctson at this point? A conditional 7th?

1. The conditional pick has the advantage that assuming Doctson hits whatever triggers the trade, you're getting it. If Doctson walks and Washington signs another free agent to an equivalently sized contract, Washington gets nothing. If it didn't trigger, you're almost assuredly not getting anything in a compensatory pick either.
  2. There's the possibility that the condition could fire in 2020 as opposed to 2021 (when the compensatory pick would fire).
  3. If #2 doesn't come through and the traded pick is in 2021 and the conditional are in the same round, the traded pick is worth more since compensatories come at the end of the round.
  4. Washington would free up a bit of cap space in trading him instead of eating his whole cap $3M+ in cap space by having him as a WR3/4.
  5. It would free a roster spot for someone else the front office/coaching staff feel can contribute to this year and beyond (doesn't have to be a different wide receiver, maybe a guy like Jeremy Reaves?)

But other than all that?

I’ve been Doc’s biggest supporter but good teams cut him and it be the best thing for him and us. Cut him and stop the drama after this 3rd pre season game they need to give Trent the money and then see what we have in Haskins. Run AP until he breaks down and then hammer teams with Guice after that.

1 hour ago, ripsean21 said:

I’ve been Doc’s biggest supporter but good teams cut him and it be the best thing for him and us. Cut him and stop the drama after this 3rd pre season game they need to give Trent the money and then see what we have in Haskins. Run AP until he breaks down and then hammer teams with Guice after that.

I don't see how cutting Doctson is the best thing for us. People are basing this now off the fact that he didn't take a step forward last year - while they complained about the QB play all last year - IMO you can't have it both ways  and bc he hasn't played much in the preseason while Robert Davis has looked good against backups. 

Reports that I've heard is that Doctson has had a good camp this year. We shouldn't let other back-up WRs guys get overhyped bc they make plays vs backups like the younger WRs have done.

On top of all that, PRich is dealing with a quad injury and Trey Quinn is dealing with a thumb injury. If you cut Doctson, our most experienced WR who's not dealing with an injury week 1 could be Robert Davis or Cam Sims, both of which have only played 1 game in their NFL careers unless Brian Quick makes the team.

Doctson may not be the answer, or in the team's future plans after this season but cutting him given the inexperience with the other WRs and the injuries to PRich and Quinn, it makes sense to keep him and beyond that he's still the Redskins most talented WR just from a pure talent perspective.

Edited by turtle28

43 minutes ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

That just means Gruden has him penciled in as a starter

As he should be. I don't think anyone has taken his job away from him. If the reports are true and Doctson is having a good camp then, I don't see how anyone has taken his job.

Yes, McLaurin has also looked good in camp - but he too has only played a few snaps in the preseason - last week he didn't play bc of a bruised tailbone, but like Holcomb I've heard he would play if was the regular season and he's expected to play on Thursday.

And yes, Robert Davis has looked good too, but again, if Doctson has too, that doesn't mean he should get cut. There's certainly room for all 3 of these guys on the team along with PRich, Quinn and one other guy whether that's Kidsay, Quick (only bc he's a vet & plays special teams) or Sims.

Edited by turtle28