How are those rookies doing?

Chiefer

On 8/14/2019 at 9:39 AM, RaidersAreOne said:

Raiders:

1. DE Clelin Ferrell: Looks good vs. the run and drew a couple penalties last week, but haven't heard much about his pass-rush yet. Projects to be our starting DE.
  2. RB Josh Jacobs: Versatile 3 down back. Was lining up at WR in some practices and heavily involved in blocking. Didn't play PS week 1. Projects to be our starting RB.
  3. S Johnathan Abram: Been rock solid in all phases, especially vocal leadership. He will be starting day one and is already one of our more vocal players on D.
  4. CB Trayvon Mullen: Probably been our most impressive rookie thus far. I wouldn't be surprised if he starts opposite Conley early season if not week 1.
  5. DE Maxx Crosby: Was looking promising but broke his hand in game one. He came back in to the game which shows his toughness. He'll be back for week 1 and should be a rotational pass-rusher at best this season.
  6. CB Isaiah Johnson: Honestly haven't heard much about him. He is a raw, athletic freak so shouldn't see the field much. Unfortunately suffered a concussion last game so may be out a while.
  7. TE Foster Moreau: Solid but unspectacular. Decent blocker and had a couple catches week one. He should be our #3 guy this season, maybe #2 if he keeps it up.
  8. WR Hunter Renfrow: Rave reviews throughout camp thus far. However he didn't have a catch last week while JJ Nelson and Ryan Grant both played very well. It'll be a dog fight for the starting Slot guy but Renfrow makes the team as a #4/#5 at worst. In line to be our Slot guy long-term.
  9. DE Quiton Bell: Haven't heard a thing. Was super raw coming out so might make the PS.

Week 2 update:

1. Ferrell had 2 penalties last game which was annoying, but also kept good containment on Murray. At one point Murray was outside the pocket extending the play and Ferrell was chasing him down almost step for step. Super impressive to see.
  2. Jacobs saw some action this game on 4 consecutive carries. He showed very good vision and ended up with a 5.3 YPC.
  3. Abram couldn't tackle Murray on one attempt but looked solid  otherwise.
  4. Mullen didn't suit up yesterday and I'm not sure why.
  5. Crosby didn't suit up due to the broken bone in his hand.
  6. Johnson didn't suit up due to his concussion.
  7. Moreau didn't show much as he didn't have any catches this game.
  8. Renfrow got involved this game with 2 catches for 26 yards. 
  9. Bell didn't show anything at all.

UDFA's:

1. One person to note who you Hard Knocks fans probably know is Keelan Doss. He caught a TD pass last week and followed it up with 5 catches for 38 yards this week. He's huge and has made a lot of good contested catches. 
  2. FB Alec Ingold continues to look like a good blocker and had another catch. He should be our starting FB in Gruden's system.
  • Like 1

EDGE Brian Burns - had 2 sacks in 10 snaps in his first game, albeit against Chicago's backups. Has pretty good bend. Tweaked his ankle last week and was limited in last night's game, but had a pressure or two. I anticipate he will have more snaps than current starter Bruce Irvin by the end of the season. Can't believe he lasted until pick 16.

OT Greg Little - Been practicing and playing with 2nd teamers. Been mediocre to bad from what I've seen. Could take over LT next season when Daryl Williams presumably leaves.

QB Will Grier - Awful. Stares down receivers. Overthrows a lot. Two picks including an egregious pick six.

EDGE Christian Miller - Not looking good. Probably not getting a jersey all season unless there's an injury. Did manage a sack last night though.

OL Dennis Daley - Has surprised coaches and getting majority of work at LG with 2nd teamers. Rivera seemed to hint that he could be a future starter at there once he gets a little more acclimated to the position, as he was an LT throughout college.

WR Terry Godwin - Had some good punt returns in first preseason game. Bad QB play has prevented him from getting any good WR action. Slim chance of making roster as returner. Probably headed to the practice squad.

RB Jordan Scarlett - Has been injured most of camp but finally got some action in game two. Looked really good. Should make roster fairly easily.

Ok, update on guys that played:

AJ Brown: didn’t see a ton of time on the field, biggest moment was drawing a huge pass interference call that set the Titans up for a go ahead TD. Need more info.

Amani Hooker: I really, really like what I’m seeing from Hooker. Almost had an interception or two against the Pats, and played some corner too.

David Long: Not impressed this week. Dude flies all over the place, but he’s an extremely undisciplined tackler and doesn’t have the power to take down big running backs. 6th rounders gonna 6th round.

Other rookies:

N'Keal Harry - looked as expected, strong in contested situations and has struggled to separate. He's currently a little dinged up.

Joejuan Williams - very slow start out of the gate, but coming along and played well last night

Chase Winovich - been extremely disruptive in beating up back up tackles this far, impressive 

Damien Harris - came into the league with a high floor and he's been all round solid in both facets 

Yodny Cajuste - been dinged up

Hjalte Froholt - been a nice surprise, was flawless in his debut and looks like a future starter

Jarrett Stidham - didn't love the pick, but he's been surprisingly solid this far

Jake Bailey - higher ceiling than steady Ryan Allen, boomed a punt last night. Less consistent than the current starter.

Ken Webster - haven't heard much other than a few struggles, unlikely to make the team

Jakobi Meyers (UDFA) - making a mockery of going undrafted, keeps impressing and looks like our best receiver right now

1 hour ago, goldfishwars said:

Other rookies:

N'Keal Harry - looked as expected, strong in contested situations and has struggled to separate. He's currently a little dinged up.

Joejuan Williams - very slow start out of the gate, but coming along and played well last night

Chase Winovich - been extremely disruptive in beating up back up tackles this far, impressive 

Damien Harris - came into the league with a high floor and he's been all round solid in both facets 

Yodny Cajuste - been dinged up

Hjalte Froholt - been a nice surprise, was flawless in his debut and looks like a future starter

Jarrett Stidham - didn't love the pick, but he's been surprisingly solid this far

Jake Bailey - higher ceiling than steady Ryan Allen, boomed a punt last night. Less consistent than the current starter.

Ken Webster - haven't heard much other than a few struggles, unlikely to make the team

Jakobi Meyers (UDFA) - making a mockery of going undrafted, keeps impressing and looks like our best receiver right now

pretty well said. Bailey and Cowart should have a strong chance to make the team.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

5th rounder Byron Cowart has been a nice surprise playing in a more attacking role and did this to Roger Saffold last night.

I meant to look up who that was later. I was watching another part of the field so I missed who blew him up like that.

As far as what I saw, Harris looked great, though I couldn’t say the same for Stidham. He could move the ball on the third team D, but that’s like 100% cut guys anyway.

I saw Winovich make a couple of plays and Joejuan Williams too, late in the game. Much more impressed with the former than the latter considering who they were facing.

On 8/14/2019 at 10:28 AM, candyman93 said:

Cleveland

Hopefully you’ve gotten the chance to read about Damon Sheehy-Giuseppe’s story. I think he makes the final 53. Theres only been a few rookies making noise for us.

Greedy Williams - He will start eventually, just a matter of time. He’s been solid and he’s picking off passes.

Sione Takitaki - I love his aggression, but he needs to slow down. He’s taking some bad angles trying to go for splash plays.

Mack Wilson - Best rookie by FAR. He’s intercepting passes in practice and preseason. He’s going to start very soon.

I really like Mack Wilson and was pulling for the Niners to draft him. I can’t believe you guys got him where you did. 

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 3:52 PM, animaltested said:

1. DE LJ Collier - Had "freak" high ankle sprain, and will miss the pre-season. 

2. S Marquis Blair - Looks to be bringing the "Boom" back to the LOB. Was as advertised (fast, big hits) in the 1st PS game. Did blow an assignment, but it was due to aggressiveness. Currently battling with incumbent starter Tendric Thompson and Lano Hill for the 2nd safety spot next to McDougald.

3. DK Metcalf - Immediate buzz day 1, glowing praise throughout camp. 1st PS game was .. so close to being epic. Will definitely see a lot of playing time, and get many touches in year one. 

4. LB Cody Barton - Was all over the field in the 1st PS game. Has been a stud in camp, glowing praise throughout. Dude looks like baller. Might not crack the starting line up but will certainly be a solid contributor and important depth piece in year one. 

5. WR Greg Jennings - Pretty quite camp, was on the field a lot in PS 1, but didn't haul a catch. With Lockett, Moore, Brown and DK locked in, it will be hard for GJ Jr to make an impact. 

6. G Phil Haynes - Hurt in TC, looking like a PUP candidate unfortunately. 

7. DB Ugo Amadi - Has gotten a lot of call outs in camp, going to be a coach/fan favorite. Almost got a sack, almost had a pick 6, had a awesome punt return. Even if he doesn't end up winning the slot, he will get a lot of playing time this year.

8.  LB Benn Burr-Kirven - played well on the 2nd-3rd team defense. Has battled back from injury. LB is ridiculously deep this year, so he will need to make a statement over the next two PS games. Will contribute on ST regardless

9. RB Travis Homer - Coaching staff has been loving his play in camp, but sat out last week with injury. Has the inside track to replace Mike Davis as the 3rd Down Back.

10. DT Demarcus Christmas - Luke warm praise I guess, already hurt. Seems like Practice Squad candidate

11. WR John Ursula - WR is really crowded this year. JU is pushing other WRs (Reynolds, Jennings, Ferguson etc) for the 5th WR spot. 

UDFA WR Jazz Ferguson - Has had a fantastic camp, and had a brilliant PS game 1. Has to make the team because he won't clear waivers, and therefore not a PS candidate.

UDFA DT Bryan Mone - With Reed's suspension, there is room to make a push at DT. Mone played well, taking on double teams, and playing sideline to sideline. Has a shot to make the team, especially with any injuries. 

LJ Collier - Still Hurt

Marquis Blair - Contributed nothing, left the game on a cart with back spasms

DK Metcalf - Missed the game, having knee surgery

Cody Barton - Played ok, but blew an alignment that lead to a 30+ yard run

Greg Jennings - Had one target, no catch

Phil Haynes - PUP

Ugo Amadi - Played well, had a highlight reel hit. 

Ben Burr-Kirven - Was lost in coverage, pretty much invisible on the 3rd unit

Travis Homer - Played this week, looks solid. Had a fantastic blitz pick up

Demarcus Christmas - IR candidate

John Ursula - Had one catch and 1 carry

Jazz Ferguson - 2 catches on 7 targets and a fumble. Bleh

Bryan Mone - Invisible on a struggling unit

So yeah, week 2 conclusion is pretty bleak.

Falcons:

OG Lindstrom - looking like a 10 year starter at RG. 

OT McGary - been out with a heart thing, but should be fine moving forward

CB Sheffield - Been playing well in the nickel, but still has a way to go. Hurt his hamstring

DL Cominsky - looking amazing vs. 2nd and 3rd strings. Teams have been doubling and tripling him just to give their QBs time when he's on the field.

CB Miller - solid play so far, but like Sheffield, has some way to go.

RB/WR/RS Green - Looking good as a returner. but needs work elsewhere.

WR Zaccheus - looking awesome as a receiver. Sucks as a returner. should make the roster.

• 2 weeks later...

Now that preseason is over:

contenders- 

Erik McCoy (going to be in the league for a long long time. Probably an upgrade to Unger.)

DeOnte Harris (looks like he could be the best returner the Saints have had since Michael Beerman Lewis).

Kaden Ellis (solid special teams contributor and has played great at the LB spot). 

Fringe-

Chauncey Johnson-Gardner (had a great camp but was inconsistent in preseason. Will make the team).

Saquan Hampton (also looked great in camp and was inconsistent in preseason. Will probably make the team.)

Pretenders-

Alize Mack (injured most of the offseason and didnt look like anything special. Really didn’t like the pick. Will likely be IR or practice squad.)

Hockenson: hes been fantastic. Everything as advertised so far.

Tavai: hes been good as well. He has shown he can be a force in the run game and take on and disengage olinemen. He needs better feel in zone coverage although he hasn't been bad.

Will Harris: he has shown great one on one coverage in the preseason. 

Austin Bryant: hes missed some time banged up. Haven't seen or heard much on him.

Armani Oruwayri: he struggled last night. Hes been very up and down but he has had flashes where his size and speed show what hes capable of.

Ty Johnson: hes been a pleasant surprise. I haven't seen or heard any negatives and his hands have been great along with amazing speed.

Travis Fulgham: he hasn't made much of an impact either way. Has size and hands but looks like he'll struggle with separation at this level.

Isaac Nuata: he was touted for his hands but has had some drops. I think he may be cut.

Greedy doin great.  Takitaki a ball of energy but raw.  Mack Wilson plays one hell of a wlb in pass defense but can’t play the run but a homerun in the 5th.  Austin seibert was extremely disappointing at first but has stepped up the last two weeks.  Drew Forbes was doin great but could potentially have serious injury from last night.  Haven’t heard much on red wine.  Jamie Gillian has a hell of. A leg and will punt in the league if it’s not for us