Week 1 GDT - Philadelphia Eagles @ Washington Redskins - Sept. 10, 1:00 PM

Phire

I am pretty happy with the win. not sure why all of a sudden there is so much hate for carson, of course he is not perfect but he has guts and played well. Hope Darby comes back fast!

I absolutely hated the playcalling, if i´d seen one more bubble screen i would´ve thrown up on my laptop.

41 minutes ago, AustrianEagle said:

I am pretty happy with the win. not sure why all of a sudden there is so much hate for carson

I think that's just a vocal minority. If I had to guess most people are still hopeful/still wanting to see a bigger sample size. 

9 minutes ago, Phire said:

I think that's just a vocal minority. If I had to guess most people are still hopeful/still wanting to see a bigger sample size. 

I think everyone should still be very hopeful for the kid, he's got a lot of the tools.  But it's definitely fair to criticize him as well. He's going to still make some mistakes, but you'd like to see him improve on some of those that we saw frequently in his first year.  He still has a way to go.

8 minutes ago, BLick12 said:

I think everyone should still be very hopeful for the kid, he's got a lot of the tools.  But it's definitely fair to criticize him as well. He's going to still make some mistakes, but you'd like to see him improve on some of those that we saw frequently in his first year.  He still has a way to go.

I agree with that. But I think also you can't go on a fishing expedition for faults. The game isn't designed for quarterbacks to be perfect 100% of the time. We saw plenty of terribad plays from Hall of Fame QBs this week alone. Sometimes the defense does their job or makes a great play and the quarterback has to pay for it.

1 hour ago, Phire said:

I didn't think our run game was thaaat bad, but we sure abandoned it pretty quick. To me it felt like this week we saw the result of a league wide epidemic of neglecting the run. We all know it's a passing league at the moment, but this week seemed to be particularly bad. So many teams abandoned the run game on a dime or couldn't get anything going.

Look at non-QB rush stats around the league week 1

• Eagles: 52 yards on 20 carries (2.6 Y/C)
  • Packers: 63 yards on 21 carries (3.0 Y/C)
  • Browns: 40 yards on 20 carries (2.0 Y/C)
  • Steelers: 43 yards on 15 carries (2.9 Y/C)
  • Rams: 68 yards on 29 carries (2.3 Y/C)
  • Cardinals: 52 yards on 20 carries (2.6 Y/C)
  • Lions: 68 yards on 25 carries (2.7 Y/C)
  • Redskins: 34 yards on 13 carries (2.6 Y/C)
  • Giants: 34 yards on 11 carries (3.1 Y/C)
  • Jets: 38 yards on 13 carries (2.9 Y/C)
  • Falcons: 53 yards on 20 carries (2.6 Y/C)

Pretty putrid run game performances from 11 of the 26 teams we've seen play thus far.

5 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Pretty putrid run game performances from 11 of the 26 teams we've seen play thus far.

Good stuff, that is pretty bad and puts things into perspective. I hope we can turn things around though and find some success on the ground, but I don't know if we have the personnel for it at this point. 

6 hours ago, Phire said:

I agree with that. But I think also you can't go on a fishing expedition for faults. The game isn't designed for quarterbacks to be perfect 100% of the time. We saw plenty of terribad plays from Hall of Fame QBs this week alone. Sometimes the defense does their job or makes a great play and the quarterback has to pay for it.

THIS! 

We tend to glorify other teams players since we don't watch every play. 

7 hours ago, Phire said:

I don't think it is fishing for results if you're seeing the same flaws though.  That was one of the things I consistently noted about Foles even in spite of his ridiculous season.  Obviously, results are what matter the most, but you want consistent results through consistent play.  As you said, there are a lot of other variables in football that account for things that make it hard to evaluate, but you can still look closely at the minutiae and see certain indicators. 

Archived