Redskins vs Bengals Gameday Thread - Preseason Week 2 (8/15/19)

MKnight82

Two beat up teams going at it!

Man, I hope we get to see more of the starters this week - we had better IMO - but Gruden has already kinda downplayed them playing a lot.

I really would like to see the first team passing offense out there though for at least a quarter.

We have to see Donald Penn and Flowers or Martin work together along side Chase. I’m not worried about the right side of our OL but having the 5 build up some kind of chemistry is important.

I don’t expect Peterson to play and Guice isn’t cleared for contact yet. I don’t see any point in risking CT to injury in the preseason so, I hope they don’t play him either. So, expect a heavy dose of Perine, Marshall, Reynolds and Daniels.

Now, the passing offense needs work. So, I hope we see Case and Haskins get to work with PRich, Doctson, McLaurin and hopefully Quinn. I’d also like to see Reed and Davis get some action in the first quarter as well. 

On the radio Sheehan or Greg on 980 - I think - suggested the Redskins play Keenum to start but put Haskins in for the second series and rotate them throughout the first half or first 3 quarters. It would be weird, but it would get each guy a chance to work with the first team OL and WRs for a few drives before their night is done.

I actually approve of that idea for Case getting to get game reps with our starting receivers and for Haskins to get work with the starters as he continues to develop.

As for the defense, I hope we get to see Sweat tomorrow night and I really don’t want the starters on defense going for more than a quarter. I just don’t see any point in them seeing more time than that.

I definitely look forward to seeing more Jimmy “MF” Moreland and I’ll be playing close attention to our young OLBs like “The Love Doctor,” Casanova McKinzy and Ryan Anderson, our young ILBs, SDH, JHC and Holcomb and our young DBs, especially the Apke and Reeves battle for the final FS spot.

Lastly, I’ll have my eye on the young DL; Settle, Bee and Maloata. I liked what they did in the first game, especially Bee. Bee has a chance to be the 6th DL on the roster and Maloata has a chance to be on the practice squad I think.

Edited by turtle28

https://riggosrag.com/2019/08/14/redskins-5-players-watch-week-2-preseason-19/6/

1. Dwayne Haskins

2. Montez Sweat

3. Darvin Kidsay

4. Timon Paris

5. JHC

Josh Harvey-Clemons, 25, has always had three-down linebacker upside, but he just needed to add more weight to his athletic frame. With 35.6-inch arms, Harvey-Clemons’ wingspan rivals that of some linemen, and with that frame, he can be incredibly disruptive, both as a pursuing tackler and as a pass defender.

Harvey-Clemons showed some of that upside in Week 1 of preseason, and in Week 2, Harvey-Clemons could get a rare starting opportunity; Shaun Dion Hamilton suffered a chest injury in Week 1, and his status is unclear to this point. It was a minor injury; that much is known. But the team could hold Hamilton out, and give Harvey-Clemons a chance to show more of his exciting traits.

Harvey-Clemons is essentially a roster lock; the linebacker position doesn’t have much depth, and Harvey-Clemons at least provides that. He also has upside and the ability to play special teams. But if he takes this opportunity and runs with it, he could find himself in a more meaningful rotation, come September and October.

One player who’s worth watching, given the players’ own traits and the corresponding situation, is offensive tackle Timon Parris. Parris was often caught in a bad light on Thursday, as he was seen on numerous plays where the quarterback got hit. But on one notable occasion, the fault was not Parris’, and he showcased his upside more often than people gave him credit for.

In a recent podcast, which was very informative, OL expert Robbie Duncan spoke at length about Parris, and he spoke about how Parris had shown promise in his Week 1 performance. Duncan lauded Parris’ pass set, explaining how Parris’ fundamentals in pass protection were very solid for his career state. Duncan mentioned that Parris still needs to do a better job measuring his kick out of his stance, but when asked if he expected Parris to make the roster, Duncan said he did.