Mystery player (Jaylon?) being negotiated?

Matts4313

7 hours ago, Kiltman said:

Byron would make sense now if they want to keep him, get in front of the impending CB market.

Ton of CBs up for new deals after this year

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2020/all/cornerback/

Could also make the argument that since the CB market is such high supply that a lot of guys will see less money though.

1 hour ago, Danger said:

Could also make the argument that since the CB market is such high supply that a lot of guys will see less money though.

True, 

Could be the Safety market two years ago, where no one got paid.

or the safety market this year where a lot of guys did.

Probably could save a few mil per with Byron if they did that first.

1 hour ago, MightyMouse07 said:

Honestly is LB an important position to invest in with today’s NFL? CB is a much more important spot.

It’s not, it’s a luxury position. Which makes having potentially two top 10 paid LBs an interesting move to say the least.

1 hour ago, MightyMouse07 said:

Honestly is LB an important position to invest in with today’s NFL? CB is a much more important spot.

They’re trending up much more quickly than CBs, Mosley and Wagner make more than any of them. CB market has essentially been static for 3 years with Howard’s deal just barely topping Norman’s.

I guess teams are looking at Philly, for instance, and seeing that you can get by skimping at CB if your Front 7 and safeties are on point. Like @Danger said, the supply is starting to outpace the demand, somehow.

1 minute ago, matt79511 said:

I guess teams are looking at Philly, for instance, and seeing that you can get by skimping at CB if your Front 7 and safeties are on point. Like @Danger said, the supply is starting to outpace the demand, somehow.

I said it might in regards to this off season specifically, however as a whole, CBs are needed more now than previously at least to a serviceable level. More WRs on the field means more Corners are needed to counter them. However next offseason in a vacuum with how many there may be on the open market may knock their dollars down relatively speaking, or more likely they'll stagnate because the ever uptrending market.

4 minutes ago, Danger said:

I said it might in regards to this off season specifically, however as a whole, CBs are needed more now than previously at least to a serviceable level. More WRs on the field means more Corners are needed to counter them. However next offseason in a vacuum with how many there may be on the open market may knock their dollars down relatively speaking, or more likely they'll stagnate because the ever uptrending market.

It’s already been stagnant, though. You have to be deep at CB for sure, but I think some teams have determined that overspending at that spot is counterintuitive because CBs are already screwed because of the rules. Next couple years should illuminate that.

I know Brett Kollman cited your team/Schwartz’s scheme as an example of how to succeed with limited expenditures at CB relative to the rest of the defense (2015 Panthers being a good case study as well- Broncos and Patriots not so much). I think teams are finding that the replacement value between an elite LB and an average one is higher than it’s been in a long time as so much of the game is pre-snap now and they’re the defensive playcallers (see: Seahawks minus Wagner, Panthers minus Kuechly, Cowboys minus Lee prior to last year).

Again I’m just spitballing here, it could be an aberration instead of a trend. I would still tend to think CBs > LBs in terms of value, but the last year or two have made me at least question that.

1 minute ago, matt79511 said:

It’s already been stagnant, though. You have to be deep at CB for sure, but I think some teams have determined that overspending at that spot is counterintuitive because CBs are already screwed because of the rules. Next couple years should illuminate that.

I know Brett Kollman cited your team/Schwartz’s scheme as an example of how to succeed with limited expenditures at CB relative to the rest of the defense (2015 Panthers being a good case study as well- Broncos and Patriots not so much). I think teams are finding that the replacement value between an elite LB and an average one is higher than it’s been in a long time as so much of the game is pre-snap now and they’re the defensive playcallers (see: Seahawks minus Wagner, Panthers minus Kuechly, Cowboys minus Lee prior to last year).

Again I’m just spitballing here, it could be an aberration instead of a trend. I would still tend to think CBs > LBs in terms of value, but the last year or two have made me at least question that.

It absolutely was not stagnant this past off-season. Multiple times I heard of a CB I'd never heard of before getting a record deal for the position. Xavien Howard, some dude on the Colts. And yeah, I saw that Kollman video. 

2 minutes ago, Danger said:

It absolutely was not stagnant this past off-season. Multiple times I heard of a CB I'd never heard of before getting a record deal for the position. Xavien Howard, some dude on the Colts. And yeah, I saw that Kollman video. 

Howard has been a Top 10 CB for multiple years now and his team has no one else to pay. His contract *barely* topped Norman’s, which was signed 3 years ago. No one else’s has.

I think it depends on your scheme. Kris Richard doesn't ask that much from his CBs. Bryon Jones joked that most of the time he only has to defend two routes, and he's protected from the rest. In Kris Richard's scheme, 6th round pick Anthony Brown had a career year last season, 2nd rounder Chidobe Awizie certainly improved, Byron Jones looked Elite...

Then look at all the over achievers that came out of Seattle: UDFA Brandon Browner, 6th round pick Byron Maxwell, 5th round pick Richard Sherman, 6th round pick Jeremy Lane....

In fact, name one CB that DIDN'T look good in the system...

I think as long as KR is here we could just plug and play at the CB position.  Not so sure about LB

Edited by DaBoys