NBA Team In St. Louis?

the lone star

New Orleans or Memphis moving to St. Louis would be interesting, but I'd just like to see an expansion franchise there. Vegas is a cool spot for sure, but when I visit Vegas, I probably won't go to a basketball game. I actually might if I visit St. Louis, lol.

But it does depend on how the teams are run.

We need to add a ST. Louis team to the east and a Seattle team to the west. Go to 4 divisions of 4. 

Golden State/Lakers/Clippers/Kings

Jazz/Suns/Sonics/Blazers

rockets/Spurs/Mavs/Pelicans

grizzlies/Thunder/Nuggets/Wolves

bucks/Lou/Bulls/Pacers

Heat/Hawks/Hornets/Magic

knicks/Nets/Raptors/Celtics 

Cavs/wizards/76ers/Pistons 

On 8/14/2019 at 11:28 PM, the lone star said:

Vegas is a cool spot for sure, but when I visit Vegas, I probably won't go to a basketball game. I actually might if I visit St. Louis, lol.

The city has really rallied behind the Golden Knights so far. Everywhere you go, there's Knights merchandise, advertisements for games, and advertisements featuring Knights branding. They're also really, really excited for the Raiders and there's already a ton of Raiders stuff in the city including Raiders' license plates. 

In 2017-2018 the Knights ranked 4th in attendance and in 2018-2019 the Knights ranked 2nd in attendance. If they get an NBA team, the fans in the city will show up. Vegas actually has a really strong basketball culture dating back to UNLV in the 1980-1990. Plus one of the major advantage of starting a team in Vegas is that they already have the T-Mobile Arena (18,000 seats) so they can delay building a new arena. 

• Like 2

On 8/18/2019 at 12:30 PM, NYRaider said:

The city has really rallied behind the Golden Knights so far. Everywhere you go, there's Knights merchandise, advertisements for games, and advertisements featuring Knights branding. They're also really, really excited for the Raiders and there's already a ton of Raiders stuff in the city including Raiders' license plates. 

In 2017-2018 the Knights ranked 4th in attendance and in 2018-2019 the Knights ranked 2nd in attendance. If they get an NBA team, the fans in the city will show up. Vegas actually has a really strong basketball culture dating back to UNLV in the 1980-1990. Plus one of the major advantage of starting a team in Vegas is that they already have the T-Mobile Arena (18,000 seats) so they can delay building a new arena. 

Yeah, that's true. I'm only speaking in terms of a visitor though. In Vegas, there are many other things I'd rather see or do. In St. Louis, I'd like to see a Cards game, Blues game, or an NBA game. Sucks that they lost the Rams, but maybe they can get another NFL team in the future.

And aside from seeing the Gateway Arch and some museums, not sure what else I'd do in St. Louis, lol.

Also, the city has rallied around the Knights for sure, but if another team were to come in, I bet they'd steal the Knights' thunder. As a hockey fan, I hope that's not the case, but it inevitably happens.

On 8/16/2019 at 9:26 AM, showtime said:

Would a team in St. Louis even be heavily supported?  That's purely a baseball town, and they didn't really support the Rams at times, either.  Seattle should get first dibs if a franchise ends up moving or if a new team is created.

for sure, but I think we've already discussed Seattle before, so I wanted to hone-in on St. Louis.

On 8/16/2019 at 8:35 AM, Pastor Dillon said:

We need to add a ST. Louis team to the east and a Seattle team to the west. Go to 4 divisions of 4. 

Golden State/Lakers/Clippers/Kings

Jazz/Suns/Sonics/Blazers

rockets/Spurs/Mavs/Pelicans

grizzlies/Thunder/Nuggets/Wolves

bucks/Lou/Bulls/Pacers

Heat/Hawks/Hornets/Magic

knicks/Nets/Raptors/Celtics 

Cavs/wizards/76ers/Pistons 

If they add Seattle and Vegas, then move the Grizz to the East.

On 8/16/2019 at 9:26 AM, showtime said:

Would a team in St. Louis even be heavily supported?  That's purely a baseball town, and they didn't really support the Rams at times, either.  Seattle should get first dibs if a franchise ends up moving or if a new team is created.

But I think a St. Louis basketball team would be supported. You can say purely baseball, but the Blues have done well there, and the Rams won a championship and got to the Super Bowl again during their time there. They had the Greatest Show on Turf. 

Fans tend not to support bad teams though. And the STL Rams had Jeff Fisher who kept them in mediocrity, and they also refused to believe they whiffed on Bradford, lol. 

Just to chime in on this...St. Louis could absolutely support 3 teams. I would like to see the downtown area get an upgrade though, that place is pretty trashy. I wouldn't put to much thought on the Rams. They left because Kroenke wanted to go to LA, he didn't even try to assemble a good roster once he took over as the owner of the Rams. Fans stopped supporting the team because they were the laughing stock of the NFL for a decade. Not to mention the Dome was a piece of garbage that Kroenke refused to put any money into. 

I don't see an NBA team ever coming to St. Louis, but I know there's a big NBA fan base here. 

@kgarrett12486 or @StLunatic88 might see things differently but that's at least how I see it. 

Edited by holt_bruce81
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Just to chime in on this...St. Louis could absolutely support 3 teams. I would like to see the downtown area get an upgrade though, that place is pretty trashy. I wouldn't put to much thought on the Rams. They left because Kroenke wanted to go to LA, he didn't even try to assemble a good roster once he took over as the owner of the Rams. Fans stopped supporting the team because they were the laughing stock of the NFL for a decade. Not to mention the Dome was a piece of garbage that Kroenke refused to put any money into. 

I don't see an NBA team ever coming to St. Louis, but I know there's a big NBA fan base here. 

@kgarrett12486 or @StLunatic88 might see things differently but that's at least how I see it. 

Agreed 100%. St. Louis would no issue supporting 3 franchises. They've done it before. Rams leaving because they weren't being supported or profitable is biggest misconception out there. It was all propaganda campaign and a deliberate ploy by the ownership group to put least amount of talent they could on the field to get their way...

St. Louis is getting MLS franchise and XFL team. I think that's extent of what's on the horizon though...

• Like 2

7 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Agreed 100%. St. Louis would no issue supporting 3 franchises. They've done it before. Rams leaving because they weren't being supported or profitable is biggest misconception out there. It was all propaganda campaign and a deliberate ploy by the ownership group to put least amount of talent they could on the field to get their way...

St. Louis is getting MLS franchise and XFL team. I think that's extent of what's on the horizon though...

MLS is exciting. XFL.....I hope they do well enough to force a merger or something, lol.

7 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Yeah, and another way of looking at it is that the Rams moved to St. Louis after almost 50 years in LA. They were in St. Louis for 20 years and were OK I guess. 1 Super Bowl Championship, another NFC Title, and 5 playoff appearances. But Bruce and Faulk got their numbers retired, Warner, Pace, and Faulk made HOF, and I believe Bruce will too. Holt has a legitimate shot too, and I'd probably put him in. I hope Steven Jackson makes it in as well. 

And Oh Yeah, there was this....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Greatest_Show_on_Turf

And let's be real, the organization didn't try too hard during their last 10 years in STL. I remember driving by the stadium in 2007 and thinking it was a dump. 

A new ownership group that is dedicated to the city would be perfect, and I'm not even talking basketball here, which is on the rise, while the NFL has consistently had a cloud of issues surrounding it for the past decade or so.

Also, I found this interesting.

http://www.stlamerican.com/sports/sports_columnists/sports_eye/billionaire-richard-chaifetz-thinks-the-nba-could-migrate-to-st/article_afa0fe10-19dd-11e9-867b-bf9f4ee96d98.html