NBA Team In St. Louis?

the lone star

On 8/19/2019 at 2:49 PM, the lone star said:

Yeah, that's true. I'm only speaking in terms of a visitor though. In Vegas, there are many other things I'd rather see or do.

And I think that the exact opposite is true for the residents. The Strip is cool but it's a hotbed for tourists, LV residents typically hang out downtown. One of the biggest reasons everyone has rallied so hard behind the Knights is because it gives them something to do. 

• Like 1

No, Seattle 1st.

NBA really screwed up bailing on the market right before it went from great to insane. Seattle was a city full of older rich yuppies, now its a city full of young rich yuppies with tons of fluid cash. Seahawks and Sounders literally print money. The NHL team (that doesn't even have a name yet) essentially sold out its season tickets for the next century. The amount of corporate money just sitting around in Seattle is ridiculous. The NBA should be crawling on their knees through broken glass to bring a franchise back here. 

Edited by animaltested
  • Like 1

On 8/20/2019 at 5:16 AM, the lone star said:

Yeah, and another way of looking at it is that the Rams moved to St. Louis after almost 50 years in LA. They were in St. Louis for 20 years and were OK I guess. 1 Super Bowl Championship, another NFC Title, and 5 playoff appearances. But Bruce and Faulk got their numbers retired, Warner, Pace, and Faulk made HOF, and I believe Bruce will too. Holt has a legitimate shot too, and I'd probably put him in. I hope Steven Jackson makes it in as well. 

And Oh Yeah, there was this....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Greatest_Show_on_Turf

And let's be real, the organization didn't try too hard during their last 10 years in STL. I remember driving by the stadium in 2007 and thinking it was a dump. 

A new ownership group that is dedicated to the city would be perfect, and I'm not even talking basketball here, which is on the rise, while the NFL has consistently had a cloud of issues surrounding it for the past decade or so.

Also, I found this interesting.

http://www.stlamerican.com/sports/sports_columnists/sports_eye/billionaire-richard-chaifetz-thinks-the-nba-could-migrate-to-st/article_afa0fe10-19dd-11e9-867b-bf9f4ee96d98.html

The GSOT masks how otherworldly bad the Rams were in their time in St. Louis. They finished with a combined winning percentage of roughly 40% despite finishing 13-3 and 14-2. Throw those 2 seasons out, and they won about a third of their games. They won the Super Bowl in 1999, but were still the losingest team of the 1990's. Think about that.

Even then, the support really only started to decline because Stan Kroenke had made it clear he was taking a deal from LA with $0 taxpayer money compared to a deal that St. Louis offered with roughly $750MM in tax payer money. When the team is spending nearly a billion dollars to get away from you, you shouldn't be a fan. And a lot of people in St. Louis did the right thing and voted with their wallets.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, animaltested said:

No, Seattle 1st.

NBA really screwed up bailing on the market right before it went from great to insane. Seattle was a city full of older rich yuppies, now its a city full of young rich yuppies with tons of fluid cash. Seahawks and Sounders literally print money. The NHL team (that doesn't even have a name yet) essentially sold out its season tickets for the next century. The amount of corporate money just sitting around in Seattle is ridiculous. The NBA should be crawling on their knees through broken glass to bring a franchise back here. 

Seattle first for sure, I'm not denying that, but I really just want to focus on St. Louis in this thread.

With that said, what do you think of that idea, regardless of how you feel about Seattle?

7 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The GSOT masks how otherworldly bad the Rams were in their time in St. Louis. They finished with a combined winning percentage of roughly 40% despite finishing 13-3 and 14-2. Throw those 2 seasons out, and they won about a third of their games. They won the Super Bowl in 1999, but were still the losingest team of the 1990's. Think about that.

Even then, the support really only started to decline because Stan Kroenke had made it clear he was taking a deal from LA with $0 taxpayer money compared to a deal that St. Louis offered with roughly $750MM in tax payer money. When the team is spending nearly a billion dollars to get away from you, you shouldn't be a fan. And a lot of people in St. Louis did the right thing and voted with their wallets.

A lot of good points. Thank you for your input.

With that said, what do you think of an NBA team in St. Louis?

• 1 month later...
On 8/15/2019 at 2:28 AM, the lone star said:

New Orleans or Memphis moving to St. Louis would be interesting, but I'd just like to see an expansion franchise there.

I think the Grizzlies almost ended up in St. Louis, but the guy that was going to buy them spilled the beans about moving them there.

On 10/5/2019 at 2:05 PM, MOSteelers56 said:

I would like to have a home state NBA team. It'd be my luck that we'd get an expansion just as I'm getting the heck out of this crap hole state lol.

I do agree with the other MO bros, I think StL could support another team with ease. 

BBQ Pit State*