theJ

The Jeff Driskel Experiment

Sounds like they want to try to use him at WR and ST's.  Probably a good idea, because he's not sticking as a #2 QB.

I think it's a good idea.  He's an athlete who, given enough reps, could probably do some unique things on offensive trick plays.  If he can contribute on special teams, it's even more of a no-brainer.

Who thinks he'll make the final roster?

You can keep an emergency QB as the #3 without eating up a 45 game day active roster spot right?  I would use Driskel as the #2 QB on paper with Finley as the #3 'emergency' QB.

The reason is if Dalton does go down, just skip to Finley and deactivate Driskel.  Would pretty much be that way if we only went with 2 QBs anyway.  The reason I'm suggesting this is not because I think Driskel can be a good WR.  But another ST guy, and potentially the trick plays that I'm thinking Zac Taylor is cooking up for Driskel.  If he can be 'good enough' to demand a CB on him, but then motion/take a backwards pass it could be nice to throw the defense off/keep them honest.  Also one more thing defenses have to prepare for.

Could even be our 'Taysom Hill'...

2 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

Could even be our 'Tysom Hill'...

That's what i was thinking.

You can keep an emergency QB as the #3 without eating up a 45 game day active roster spot right?  I would use Driskel as the #2 QB on paper with Finley as the #3 'emergency' QB.

I'm not sure how the rules work around that.  When you activate the emergency QB, does that mean you have to inactivate someone?  Can you go the emergency QB without going to the #2 first?

Just now, theJ said:

That's what i was thinking.

I'm not sure how the rules work around that.  When you activate the emergency QB, does that mean you have to inactivate someone?  Can you go the emergency QB without going to the #2 first?

I believe (and someone correct me if I'm wrong).  Your 45 man gameday roster will have your #1 and #2 QB.  The #3 'emergency' QB if the comes in then the #1 and I believe the #2 both have be inactive for the game going forward.  Something like that...

7 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

I believe (and someone correct me if I'm wrong).  Your 45 man gameday roster will have your #1 and #2 QB.  The #3 'emergency' QB if the comes in then the #1 and I believe the #2 both have be inactive for the game going forward.  Something like that...

There's a wikipedia entry for this!  Apparently the rule was eliminated from the book in 2011.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_quarterback_rule

The third quarterback rule was a rule in the National Football League that governed the use of a third quarterback in addition to the starter and the backup. The rule was abolished for the 2011 season, when the NFL increased the roster size to allow 46 players to dress for a game.[1]

However, you used to be correct.

Teams will be permitted an Active List of 45 players and an Inactive List of eight players for each regular-season and postseason game. Provided, that if a club has two quarterbacks on its 45-player Active List, a third quarterback from its Inactive List is permitted to dress for the game, but if he enters the game during the first three quarters, the other two quarterbacks are thereafter prohibited from playing.[3]

WHAT? How did I totally miss that 46 players can be active now? Man, from 2011 as well.  I'm really out-dated...

I'm still trying to live in 2005, when life as a Bengals fan was great.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

That's exactly how it was.  But I thought that was scrapped.  Did it return?

Edit:Ah.  Scrolled down to the last comments.  Yeah, I was sure it had been removed.  

Edited by INbengalfan

I’d rather use his spot elsewhere. I’m sure Driskels a nice guy and everything, but I’d rather keep an extra wide out or D-lineman

10 hours ago, johndeere1707 said:

I’d rather use his spot elsewhere. I’m sure Driskels a nice guy and everything, but I’d rather keep an extra wide out or D-lineman

In general I agree. But if he can run a little and catch a little, he may be more valuable than a 7th wideout. Having a guy that can run/catch as well as throw is dangerous. Keeps the defense on their toes.