Where do you get your Bengals news?

theJ

Where do you get your fix?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you get your fix?

• The nationals (nfl.com, espn.com, etc)
    • Cincinnati Enquirer
    • The Athletic
    • Cincy Jungle
    • The Mothership aka HobsonLand aka Hobspin aka Bengals.com
    • Social media (twitter, insta, etc)
    • An actual newspaper (do they exist?)
    • here!
    • Other

I brought this up in another thread a week or so ago.  I had been primarily following Paul Dehner Jr. on twitter, listening to the Bengals Beat Podcast, and reading the occasional Enquirer or Cincy Jungle article.

But ever since Paul switched to the Athletic, i have found the Bengals coverage severely lacking.  He doesn't put as much on twitter anymore, and the new guy (Tyler Dragon) posts even less.  Fletcher Page apparently doesn't cover the Bengals anymore (which was never announced AFAIK, it just happened).  The new Bengals Beat Podcast is pretty boring and seems to just mirror what the nationals are saying - not the kind of coverage i'm looking for.

So i subscribed to The Athletic.  First time i've paid for journalism.  Feeling like a real adult now...

• Like 2

Mainly social media, JoeGoodberry, and John Sheeran primarily.  The others are Ok and good for team specific news breaks (Hobspin, bengals official twitter, Dragon, etc...).

I do check out CincyJungle but it's mainly when they post a story on twitter and I click the link versus going to the site directly and checking.  Bengals.com I almost never check anymore.  I did have a subscription to TheAthletic last year but I cancelled that.  It was quality content but I didn't fully utilize it, so I canceled it...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, johndeere1707 said:

I use it all to be honest 

The big news outlets don't seem to carry much Bengals news.  I guess ESPN does employ beat writers for each city (Kat Terrell i think?), but it's been years since i've checked anything over there.

15 minutes ago, theJ said:

The big news outlets don't seem to carry much Bengals news.  I guess ESPN does employ beat writers for each city (Kat Terrell i think?), but it's been years since i've checked anything over there.

Terrell is the one that was replaced by Dragon.  I did like Kat Terrell...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

Ah, you're right.  Kat Terrell posted she was leaving her position though, and she's the Saints Report for TheAthletic now.  I thought Dragon was her replacement, but it must be someone else...

He replaced Paul Dehner Jr.

Mostly Cincy Jungle.  They have a few articles, but mostly their authors regurgitate other articles from just about every source you mentioned.

They also have a few guys (Sheeran, Minch, and another) who break film down for analysis.  Some of my favorite stuff by staff members.

There are a lot of fans who comment, but there are a few that really post discussion topics, and small circles of posters dig in deeper.  I do on a few topics.

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

Bengals podcast with Goodberry and Liskow

I've thought about listening to this.  Is it any good?  Reason i haven't is because those two aren't credentialed, so i wasn't sure they'd have anything more relevant than what i hear from other sources (in other words - they won't have any first hand information).

2 minutes ago, theJ said:

I've thought about listening to this.  Is it any good?  Reason i haven't is because those two aren't credentialed, so i wasn't sure they'd have anything more relevant than what i hear from other sources (in other words - they won't have any first hand information).

I enjoy it, they go very in depth.  Like you said though, neither is credentialed (or even within 400 miles of Cincinnati), so if you are looking for access and breaking news, this isn't where to find it.  However, their analysis is head and shoulders better than what I've listened too elsewhere.

19 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

Mostly Cincy Jungle.  They have a few articles, but mostly their authors regurgitate other articles from just about every source you mentioned.

They also have a few guys (Sheeran, Minch, and another) who break film down for analysis.  Some of my favorite stuff by staff members.

There are a lot of fans who comment, but there are a few that really post discussion topics, and small circles of posters dig in deeper.  I do on a few topics.

I feel like the comment section there is just a half step above facebook.  The writers are solid though.  

Every time I go to ESPN, the Bengals articles are behind a paywall.  No thanks, ESPN.

Mostly, I just get Bengal news in my google feed and click on the link.  Cincinnati.com comes up a lot. Athletic looks like it's the best, but hard to tell from 3 paragraphs.  Between this and the Blue Jackets, that is a paywall that may get my money some day.