Westerman considering retirement

theJ

Two possibilities beyond the normal rumors being floated...

1.  He is mentally weak, and quitting is easier for him to deal with mentally than facing up to being cut.

2.  if I am remembering right, there was a story his rookie year about him being a boxer in his youth.  Repeated head shots could have caused cognitive issues as his brain might have been unable to fully mature.  He can't remember plays.  Maybe he is leaving for something like this (medically speaking).

I've seen people quick to blame Turner, which is stupid.  Boling had blood clots, Perkins was flat out bad, and nobody really knows what this is rooted in.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, INbengalfan said:

1.  He is mentally weak, and quitting is easier for him to deal with mentally than facing up to being cut.

This seems like the simplest answer, and is probably correct.  But if he actually follows through with this, i'm sure there will be a statement.

12 hours ago, theJ said:

This seems like the simplest answer, and is probably correct.  But if he actually follows through with this, i'm sure there will be a statement.

My money is on #2.  He can't process a playbook in film study.  Every coach here has said the same thing.  I think he has neurological issues.  Retirement is his best option.  Hope he doesn't fall off the deep end like Jonathan Martin did.

#WestermanHive still alive!

18 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

Cool. What an odd situation.  Hope he shows up ready to bring it.  He's fallen behind a young guy and a guy the line coach trusts. Him being the player I have always thought will do a lot for this line. 

17 hours ago, Beck Bristow said:

Cool. What an odd situation.  Hope he shows up ready to bring it.  He's fallen behind a young guy and a guy the line coach trusts. Him being the player I have always thought will do a lot for this line. 

Westerman has shown he's not overwhelmed when he's in the game.  Even in the 1st preseason game when he allowed a sack, he played pretty well after that.  I think the one or two mistakes he makes really messes with his head, and the coaches lose confidence in him.  Needs to fight through that mental hurdle.  Hopefully it clicks for him, but I'm not certain if Jim Turner is exactly the best guy to help an offensive linemen with a mental block, lol...

Turner is a no nonsense guy. Hopefully he's grown from his past experiences. Westerman didn't strike me as someone who would have issues with this.  I'm guessing whatever has been going on this preseason has nothing to do with football. 

18 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

We have a westerman thread lol. 

I'll move it...

3 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

We can share the blame.

This would be a great turnaround story.  Or another piece in an interesting 30 for 30 on Jim Turner...

I think he ultimately makes the team and rides the pine again.  I'm with whoever posted it now (since i screwed up the merge) - i think this had nothing to do with football.  We may never find out what the problem was.