beekay414

Who is the NL MVP?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. NL MVP

• Ronald Acuna (Atlanta Braves)
    • Cody Bellinger (Los Angeles Dodgers)
    • Christian Yelich (Milwaukee Brewers)

6 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Oh that's cute lmao. Does she know how arbitration works? Cuz Bellinger is about to get PAID this winter. Easy $20+ Million arb decision.

Also, the blonde took "most valuable" literally. I'm shocked. 

She is right for some people though. The ones that want to emphasize value and say it's different than best (which is wrong anyway) never go the extra step to salary like they should if they are taking value seriously.

52 minutes ago, mse326 said:

She is right for some people though. The ones that want to emphasize value and say it's different than best (which is wrong anyway) never go the extra step to salary like they should if they are taking value seriously.

Agreed. Not to mention Bellinger getting paid in arbitration would have literally nothing to do with this season if you’re thinking about it under that framework. 

3 hours ago, mse326 said:

My question is how do you emphasize contract value in awards? Say, using fWAR as an example, a guy that makes $25 million has an 8 win season but a dude making $600k has a 6 win season. Do you give the guy, who was worth 2 wins less than the other, the MVP despite the other player being clearly better? It's a slippery slope and not quite sure it's a rabbit hole worth going down. 

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 3:11 AM, beekay414 said:

Oh that's cute lmao. Does she know how arbitration works? Cuz Bellinger is about to get PAID this winter. Easy $20+ Million arb decision.

Also, exactly who would take the others over Mike Trout? No one. No one in baseball is not taking MIke Trout over any other player in baseball.

21 hours ago, mse326 said:

Because who cares about what they're getting paid in a capless sport? 

On 8/18/2019 at 3:11 AM, beekay414 said:

bro, you are one angry person. Find literally anyone to give you a hug,

On topic though, whether you agree with the logic or not, what does what Bellinger is going to get paid next year have to with the MVP race this year?

21 hours ago, beekay414 said:

My question is how do you emphasize contract value in awards? Say, using fWAR as an example, a guy that makes $25 million has an 8 win season but a dude making $600k has a 6 win season. Do you give the guy, who was worth 2 wins less than the other, the MVP despite the other player being clearly better? It's a slippery slope and not quite sure it's a rabbit hole worth going down. 

I don't think you understood what I was saying. You seem to hold "value" and "best" to mean the same thing. That MVP goes to the best player that year, not some notion of who was most "valuable" which is what people who focus on wins and what would happen if he wasn't on the team and he sacrificed by moving to a different position think.

I 100% agree with you. But we both know there is still a large population that doesn't. My point is that if indeed you want to consider "valuable" as different than "best" then money should be factored in, because yes if you ask any GM they would rather have the 6 WAR player since you should be able to get more than 2 WAR more (the difference between the two) with $24.4 million dollars. I don't think that is what the award means, but to that other segment it should if they are following through their own logic. 

50 minutes ago, mse326 said:

You've never said that someone is getting paid too much? Or that someone was a steal?

Sure. But in this case, neither apply.

Actually, I would say that if anyone, Trout is underpaid. He's literally the best player on the planet. He's currently performing at a level that is better than all but may 10 other players in the history of baseball. 

7 hours ago, Slateman said:

Sure. But in this case, neither apply.

Actually, I would say that if anyone, Trout is underpaid. He's literally the best player on the planet. He's currently performing at a level that is better than all but may 10 other players in the history of baseball. 

Sure it does. Because the reason the someone is under or overpaid is based on market value. And market value here is based on overall spending on player salaries. Just because there is no salary cap doesn't mean teams don't have salary budgets. If salary doesn't impact value because there is no cap then there is no such thing as an under or overpaid player.

Is Trout underpaid? Probably. Is he more underpaid than Bellinger this year? No (I am aware of why Bellinger makes so little but that is irrelevant to this discussion).

On 8/18/2019 at 6:58 AM, mse326 said:

thatsnothowthisworks.meme