Preseason Game 2 - KC @ PIT

KC_Guy

Brick spithouse, or something like that. It's usually said of properly stacked female. 

As I said, he's more short than small. Most like he will get short yardage play quickly, since that was an area of need at the end of the season. More PT will likely come when his pass pro gets better.

5 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

Brick spithouse, or something like that. It's usually said of properly stacked female. 

As I said, he's more short than small. Most like he will get short yardage play quickly, since that was an area of need at the end of the season. More PT will likely come when his pass pro gets better.

I've already seen him take out an End below the knees. The guy was 2x taller than him. He also stood in well against a Pitt blitz. Yes, play him.

• Like 1

Didn't have a chance to watch the game yet, may do so tonight. From what I've read the "extended playing time" of the ones was rather short & uneventful.

Injuries may hurt, Kemp seems to be out for a while if not the season, and an ankle doesn't help a guy like Yelder at all.

Other than that whatever I read indicates it was a boring game with not much to be taken from.

So, Marcus Kemp is out for the season with torn ACL and MCL as the MRI confirmed. A pity, seemed to come along nicely.

And in other news: Jeff Allen on his way back in - so who's gone along the OL? Erving? Wylie? Or just more depth?

Edited by KC_Guy

32 minutes ago, KC_Guy said:

And in other news: Jeff Allen on his way back in - so who's gone along the OL? Erving? Wylie? Or just more depth?

Allen is a plus in run blocking.  He's a minus in pass blocking. Can the Center help him? Let Erving go, I guess. He can't remember the snap count anyway.

Salary cap wise, cutting Erving would save us less than $300k this year but over $4.6mil next year. Currently we have an estimated $9.3mil in cap space in 2020. We're definitely going to be cutting some guys this year or next. In 2020 we're top heavy in contracts and it's about to get even more top heavy.

Currently: Kelce (10.7), Fisher (13.7), Watkins (19.2) are the only players counting more than 10mil against the cap.

2020 changes that.

2 players making over 20mil - Watkins (21), Clark (22.7)

1 player making 15-20mil - Mathieu (16.3)

4 players making 10-15mil - Kelce (10.5), Schwartz (10.8), Hitchens (11.3), Fisher (12)

Cutting Watkins will save $14mil and Hitchens only around $3mil. It's going to be interesting to see how Veach re-signs Hill, Jones and others after this year.

17 hours ago, KC_Guy said:

Didn't have a chance to watch the game yet, may do so tonight. From what I've read the "extended playing time" of the ones was rather short & uneventful.

Injuries may hurt, Kemp seems to be out for a while if not the season, and an ankle doesn't help a guy like Yelder at all.

Other than that whatever I read indicates it was a boring game with not much to be taken from.

Yeah, it was not a particularly interesting game. I don't feel like we learned much from it. They basically benched the ones ASAP. More of the same guys playing well and the same guys struggling, but nothing spectacularly noteworthy in any direction.

14 hours ago, KC_Guy said:

So, Marcus Kemp is out for the season with torn ACL and MCL as the MRI confirmed. A pity, seemed to come along nicely.

My guess is it's a statement that they aren't comfortable with either Allegretti, McKenzie, or both being just one injury away from playing time. I don't think they change the starting lineup at all. Fisher/Wylie/Reiter/LDT/Schwartz is solid. I also don't think Allen has ever done as well at OT, so I think Erving is safe. I think it would be to supplant either Allegretti or McKenzie as the primary backups at C or G.

On Thompson, honestly, I hope they just cut Hyde. I know they like having a veteran backup there, based on past years keeping a guy like West around as a clear low risk low reward kind of backup, but I really don't feel like Hyde is going to contribute anything special compared to the younger guys. I'm perfectly fine with Williams/Thompson/Williams. Give Hyde that C.J. Spiller notice of hey, if no one signs you, and the right guy gets hurt, you're our man.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, onejayhawk said:

It could be that Allen is the new starting C. They may think that a veteran presence is needed in the middle. In which case it means Reiter is probably gone. I never penciled McKenzie anywhere but OG, 

This late in camp?

They wouldve signed him way earlier if that were the case.

I just think a roster spot is opening and theyre bringing in a guy they know will make the roster/or provide more competition to the backups already there.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

It could be that Allen is the new starting C. They may think that a veteran presence is needed in the middle. In which case it means Reiter is probably gone. I never penciled McKenzie anywhere but OG, 

There's no way they're signing someone off the street to start at C halfway through the preseason.

Normally I would agree, but this is someone they have known well and who has played C here. It is the sort of move you would make if something unexpected went south. 

All that said, I don't think they brought him in to start. Just that they will be prepared if it comes to that.