Ranking the youth on every team

minutemancl

Interesting enough, the Falcons have just 5 players 30 or older... And of those included 36 year old backup QB Schaub and 42 year old kicker Bryant. Take them out and the average drops to a league average 25.9. Which is still super young.

On 9/4/2017 at 3:33 PM, titans0021 said:

It's interesting, but I've never found it to be all that useful in judging anything. I'd be more interested in it if they waited until after Week 1 and came up with a separate chart that contained the average age of each team's 22 starters. For the Titans, you're having that number bumped up because of guys like Harry Douglas (32 year old #5 receiver), Matt Cassel (35 year old backup QB), Brice McCain (30 year old #4 corner), Eric Weems (32 year old #6 receiver) and Erik Walden (32 year old #4 OLB).

With that said, I am surprised to see the Titans that low. But I guess there are enough veteran pieces that it's not too shocking.

I saw somewhere a weighted average of age by snap count.  That's more useful, IMO.  But harder to calculate.  Can't just dig up the roster sheet and do some quick math in excel.

EDIT: Also, obviously, can't do that calculation until there's been actual games played.

12 minutes ago, theJ said:

Here, this is 2016 snap-weighted age.  By team, by team's unit, etc.  

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2017/snap-weighted-age-2016-nfl-rosters

New Orleans - oldest team, total, in 2016 (27.5)

Arizona - Oldest offense (28.3)

Cincinnati - Oldest defense (28.2)

Buffalo - oldest ST's (27.3)

Could also just use the totals xD

LA Rams - Youngest team - 25.7

New Orleans - Oldest team - 27.5

I don't feel like doing the math to remove special teams as requested by someone above.

6 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

Could also just use the totals xD

I just picked out some of the data.  Obviously they have a lot of data in there.  Even unit age by position group (QB, WR, TE, DL, etc).  

Lots of good stuff.

6 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

I don't feel like doing the math to remove special teams as requested by someone above.

The total basically does that.  The complaint is that 40 yo punter adds too much the team average.  Well, a punter plays, what, 80 snaps over a season?  So he barely factors into a team's total age.

That number is a very good representation of how old/young a team was in 2016.

On 9/4/2017 at 11:10 PM, Shanedorf said:

This is from The Dope Sheet and sheds a little bit of detail on the Packers 90 man roster, just some different ways of sorting it. And I think pretty representative of the rest of the league. Its definitely a young man's game

GREEN BAY’S ROSTER ...

BY AGE (as of August 10)

• 21-24: 56 players
  • 25-28: 25 players
  • 29-32: 7 players
  • 33-plus: 2 players

I actually think this is a better way to look at age.  Not how old is the average player, but how many players in each age bracket do you have.Not sure I wouldn't divide them differently though. The perception of 25 vs 28 is VERY different in the NFL.  A 25 yr old is a young pup, perhaps just finding his stride. A 28 yr old is "almost 30".

Panthers lost some weight by dropping Mike Tolbert and Andy Lee but gained even more by signing Julius Peppers and Mike Adams, who I believe are both in the top five oldest defenders in the NFL with Terence Newman, Dwight Freeney, and James Harrison. In fact, we have three starters on defense who entered the NFL in 2005 or earlier (the other being Thomas Davis). Our youngest defender, Daeshon Hall, was only 7 when Peppers was drafted... and now he has DLine meetings with him!

As always, this is one of those things that's interesting, but ultimately not all that meaningful without looking further into the data. Most teams fall within a very small bracket of variance. Small enough that a player or two, potentially a non-impactful player, can substantially sway things. I remember one of the first years this was posted that I saw, Indy was near the bottom of the list, but removing Vinatieri and Hasselbeck skyrocketed them up it. And there's a difference between youth and quality youth that this can't capture. Even if we were to factor snap count, that still isn't ultimately that meaningful. There's a common assumption in sports that youth leads to improvement, but it's only sometimes the case. Often, young players who suck only progress to become slightly less young players who still suck. Having young contributors could mean that there's a bright future ahead, or it could mean that you just don't have anyone older worthwhile, so drafted players are getting the start by default.

So interesting, but it lacks far too many important details to actually reveal anything.

Archived