Ranking the youth on every team

minutemancl

4 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

As always, this is one of those things that's interesting, but ultimately not all that meaningful without looking further into the data. Most teams fall within a very small bracket of variance. Small enough that a player or two, potentially a non-impactful player, can substantially sway things. I remember one of the first years this was posted that I saw, Indy was near the bottom of the list, but removing Vinatieri and Hasselbeck skyrocketed them up it. And there's a difference between youth and quality youth that this can't capture. Even if we were to factor snap count, that still isn't ultimately that meaningful. There's a common assumption in sports that youth leads to improvement, but it's only sometimes the case. Often, young players who suck only progress to become slightly less young players who still suck. Having young contributors could mean that there's a bright future ahead, or it could mean that you just don't have anyone older worthwhile, so drafted players are getting the start by default.

So interesting, but it lacks far too many important details to actually reveal anything.

Exactly.

I remember a few years ago when people would post these and brag about having the youngest team, when it really doesnt mean much of anything without context.

Im more interested in the age and quality of certain positions relative to other teams....not just overall age.

On 9/8/2017 at 9:11 PM, Shady Slim said:

the steelers have some guys on D that i can see playing for another ten years like watt, stephon tuitt and james harrison

James Harrison is definitely not playing another 10 years.

Archived