What would it take for the Giants to make the playoffs?

y*so*blu

I'm not a fan of them and we've unanimously agreed that Eli Manning has nothing left ... but, just for the sake of discussion.

Eli would have to pull one more decent year out of his hat. Barkley must avoid a sophomore slump. The Cowboys would have to drop off quite a bit from last year, giving the Giants an opening to finish second in their division. And that's probably just the beginning of what would have to go right for them.

Still, I know how good a coach Pat Shurmur is. There's always a chance. ^_^

Edited by y*so*blu

It would take a few things:

-At least splitting with all division rivals

-Big, big jumps from young defensive players (Lorenzo Carter, DeAndre Baker, Grant Haley, Jabrill Peppers, Tae Davis, BJ Hill)

-Underachieving seasons from Cowboys/Eagles

-Either Eli Manning playing well or Jones getting his first start early

I'd give them a 5-10% chance of making the playoffs this year. 

• Like 3

The offense should be good enough even with a 38 year old Eli, or rookie Daniel Jones, because Saquon is the focal point. Evan Engram is a unique threat at TE. I think the offensive line will be the best we’ve had in years.

The big question is the young defense. We need a couple guys to develop quickly. It’s such a young defense so I expect growing pains. I’ll bet they’ll be ready in 2020 and beyond though.

• Like 4

Wentz would have to go on injured reserve again, and the Cowboys would have to implode somehow, neither of which I see happening.  It's probably just going to have to be a rebuilding year for the Giants.  They are going in the right direction for the future, though, so even if they have a down year in 2019, they have a lot to look forward to.

2 hours ago, SkippyX said:

Maybe if they faced the Jets preseason scrubs on D every week?

I loved the overreaction to Daniel Jones making 4 basic throws and 1 good throw.

I think they are already making his Hall of Fame bust.

In their defense, at least you have to admit that he looked good making the throws.  Some of them were short ones, but at least one of them went for some distance.  He looked poised and athletic.  Based on the way most of us reacted when he was drafted, he could have looked a lot worse.  I know it's early to be labeling him in any way, either positively or negatively, but I'd say he passed the first very small test toward showing that he just might become a decent QB.  He certainly didn't fall flat on his face in the first game.  I don't blame Giants fans for being at least a little optimistic.  You have to give them that much anyway.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

In their defense, at least you have to admit that he looked good making the throws.  Some of them were short ones, but at least one of them went for some distance.  He looked poised and athletic.  Based on the way most of us reacted when he was drafted, he could have looked a lot worse.  I know it's early to be labeling him in any way, either positively or negatively, but I'd say he passed the first very small test toward showing that he just might become a decent QB.  He certainly didn't fall flat on his face in the first game.  I don't blame Giants fans for being at least a little optimistic.  You have to give them that much anyway.

I am not bashing him as much as the preseason cherry pickers who think playing like Sage Rosenfels for 5 plays in a fake game means stardom is sure to follow. Half of them are doing it to be negative reactionaries to everyone who justifiably ridiculed the selection of Jones at #6 overall. You could say Trace McSorley outplayed Lamar Jackson last night yet no one is predicting rookie QB success for McSorley.

There are times that you can have some confidence in a rookie QB in preseason 

• Dak over 83 preseason passes in 2016 was an example
  • Wilson putting Flynn on the bench in 2012 was another

5 passes against the J E S T Jest Jest Jest does not cut it for me.

Jones may be a decent project QB who could have a nice career like a Fitzpatrick or Case Keenum. He may even be better than that. None of that means he should have been taken that early ahead of some real blue chip players. You are never going to see a 2019 redraft article with Jones going in the top 20.

Its also OK that Jones was 'their guy' but you find a way to get value by trading down somewhere between 9 and 12 and still get him or you grab him at 17 and add a huge impact player at 6.

Giants fans are free to go nuts about Jones as well. Be a fan.

I am not going to go into their section to attack Jones while he is playing well. Finger pointing at fans of other teams is a bit premature though.

I know Eagles fans were thrilled when Foles was 6-10 for 2 TDs and 144 yards in his first preseason game as a rookie in 2012.

He followed it up with an 18-28 217 2 TDs and a pick the next week and we were hyped that we had a possible QB of the future (not a guy who would bench Vick in 2012)

He went 12-19 146 2 TDs and a pick the next week and we went full blown bandwagon

None of that meant that Reid and Roseman should have drafted Foles at #12 over Fletcher Cox.

8 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

I am not bashing him as much as the preseason cherry pickers who think playing like Sage Rosenfels for 5 plays in a fake game means stardom is sure to follow. Half of them are doing it to be negative reactionaries to everyone who justifiably ridiculed the selection of Jones at #6 overall. You could say Trace McSorley outplayed Lamar Jackson last night yet no one is predicting rookie QB success for McSorley.

There are times that you can have some confidence in a rookie QB in preseason 

• Dak over 83 preseason passes in 2016 was an example
  • Wilson putting Flynn on the bench in 2012 was another

5 passes against the J E S T Jest Jest Jest does not cut it for me.

Jones may be a decent project QB who could have a nice career like a Fitzpatrick or Case Keenum. He may even be better than that. None of that means he should have been taken that early ahead of some real blue chip players. You are never going to see a 2019 redraft article with Jones going in the top 20.

Its also OK that Jones was 'their guy' but you find a way to get value by trading down somewhere between 9 and 12 and still get him or you grab him at 17 and add a huge impact player at 6.

I can understand what you are saying about where Jones was picked.  They more than likely could have waited until he dropped to 17 and taken him there.  The only thing is that we, as fans are in a different position than front office personnel.  For us, we know we will be "with" the team for a long time.  When you are a coach or GM, there can sometimes be other dynamics putting pressure on you to get a player that you want or need.  When it comes to the QB position, I put more value on "getting your guy" than paying "market value" for him in terms of draft picks.  If you are a GM or coach and you need a QB, you have to find a way to get one or you could very well be out of a job in 2-3 years.  

My guess is that this year the Giants front office was feeling even more pressure than they normally would because of the fact that they were in position to take one last year and went with Barkley instead.  In light of that, they were probably sweating bullets when that #6 pick came along and could have decided that a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.  I don't blame them for that.  While it's great to take your chances and try to land an impact player in addition to the QB if you can, it could be argued that they already did that last year when they took Saquon.  When the pick was made, I was surprised and my initial reaction was that they reached massively.  After thinking about it, however, I have come to understand and agree with the pick more as time has gone on.  He could end up being a bust.  There have been an awful lot of them taken in the first round over the years.  At the same time, if he turns out to be a good-great QB for them over the next decade, nobody will be faulting them for taking him.  We will just have to see how his career plays out.