GDT: Preseason Week 2: Bears at Giants

AZBearsFan

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

I find it hard to put a lot of stock in a Friday night game that was played two days after a 60 play scrimmage. Those back ups played 60 plays just 48 hours earlier. That’s a ridiculous turnaround time, and the Giants players had not played for an entire week. 

60 plays O and 60 plays D I think he said.  I don't know who all played though.

On 8/17/2019 at 6:24 PM, WindyCity said:

Kylie Fitts is terrible. He was rag dolled all night.

I am beginning to worry that Iggy sucks as well. He has no awareness and does not attack any plays.

I never liked the Fitts pick from the moment he was drafted.  He just doesn't look like an NFL caliber player to me.

Iggy was drafted more for his athletic ability than his knowledge of the game.  This one may take some time.

Bullard is definitely disappointing to me after 3 years now.  I had high hopes when he was drafted.  Won't be surprised if he is cut.

48 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I never liked the Fitts pick from the moment he was drafted.  He just doesn't look like an NFL caliber player to me.

Iggy was drafted more for his athletic ability than his knowledge of the game.  This one may take some time.

Bullard is definitely disappointing to me after 3 years now.  I had high hopes when he was drafted.  Won't be surprised if he is cut.

They were all traits picks.  Sometimes those workout with NFL coaching.  Mostly not.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, dll2000 said:

They were all traits picks.  Sometimes those workout with NFL coaching.  Mostly not.  

Agreed.

Fitts showed some pass rush skills at the Senior Bowl but none since as a pro.  I'd call it time to move on.

Iggy I still like and even if he's not ready for prime time as an ILB he's still a good ST guy.

Bullard is basically playing out the string.  Nick Williams may end up with his roster spot since he can also sub at NT.

1 hour ago, soulman said:

Agreed.

Fitts showed some pass rush skills at the Senior Bowl but none since as a pro.  I'd call it time to move on.

Iggy I still like and even if he's not ready for prime time as an ILB he's still a good ST guy.

Bullard is basically playing out the string.  Nick Williams may end up with his roster spot since he can also sub at NT.

I am not keeping Iggy if it costs me Josh Woods, who has actually shown some awareness on defense.

Iggy looks totally lost.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

I am not keeping Iggy if it costs me Josh Woods, who has actually shown some awareness on defense.

Iggy looks totally lost.

That question could be answered via whether or not Kwitkowski sticks.  Paying $2 mil to an ILB who doesn't really fit our needs is a decision for Pace and Nagy/Pagano to make.

He may stick simply because he knows the defense and plays well on ST but he's a huge liability in coverage when he's on the field.

Iggy can get smarter but Kwit isn't gonna get any faster.

10 hours ago, dll2000 said:

This guy is a must watch.  Buh bye Bullard   

It's season #4 for Bullard and he has never been able to adequately make the conversion to a 3-4 DE.

It's somewhat unfortunate for him that it was the current Bears team who drafted him.  As a 280-285lb 3 tech DT under Lovie he probably plays often in his rotation and is a solid yet unspectacular DT.  But at close to 300lbs almost all of his initial quickness is lost and despite his weight gain it's pretty apparent that it's all just anchor weight.  He's never shown any kind of natural strength.  That's not his game.

Kwitkoski is another 4th year guy whose obviously peaked as an ILB.  Much like Bullard he'd probably be better off playing the Mike or Sam spot in a 4-3 defense.  He's just not fast enough in coverage or pursuit to be effective as a 3-4 ILB.  Conversely Iggy can cover like a cheap rug but lacks Kwitkoski's instincts and tackling ability.  What we truly need is a fusion of those two guys and we don't have it.

If I'm Pagano/Nagy/Pace I'd say it time to move on from both Bullard and Kwitkoski   Nick Williams is 29 so he's already hit his ceiling but he's a far more effective run stopper and he can sub for Goldman at NT whereas Bullard cannot.  I didn't watch the entire games so I ask have any if the other younger DL like Anderson looked good enough to keep?

If Kwit goes that leaves Pierre-Louis, Woods, and Iggy battling for two spots.  Pierre-Louis probably sticks so flip a coin on Iggy and Woods, keep one and send the other to the PS.  Both need more work on their development so it's only a matter of what we value more Iggy in coverage or Woods who may play the run better.  I'd stick with Iggy for awhile longer hoping the light finally goes on.  In coverage and the open field he plays well he just hasn't learned how to play in the "trash" around the LOS maybe because he wasn't used that way in college either.  With his speed he could be another valuable LB on blitzes though.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, soulman said:

It's season #4 for Bullard and he has never been able to adequately make the conversion to a 3-4 DE.

It's somewhat unfortunate for him that it was the current Bears team who drafted him.  As a 280-285lb 3 tech DT under Lovie he probably plays often in his rotation and is a solid yet unspectacular DT.  But at close to 300lbs almost all of his initial quickness is lost and despite his weight gain it's pretty apparent that it's all just anchor weight.  He's never shown any kind of natural strength.  That's not his game.

Kwitkoski is another 4th year guy whose obviously peaked as an ILB.  Much like Bullard he'd probably be better off playing the Mike or Sam spot in a 4-3 defense.  He's just not fast enough in coverage or pursuit to be effective as a 3-4 ILB.  Conversely Iggy can cover like a cheap rug but lacks Kwitkoski's instincts and tackling ability.  What we truly need is a fusion of those two guys and we don't have it.

If I'm Pagano/Nagy/Pace I'd say it time to move on from both Bullard and Kwitkoski   Nick Williams is 29 so he's already hit his ceiling but he's a far more effective run stopper and he can sub for Goldman at NT whereas Bullard cannot.  I didn't watch the entire games so I ask have any if the other younger DL like Anderson looked good enough to keep?

If Kwit goes that leaves Pierre-Louis, Woods, and Iggy battling for two spots.  Pierre-Louis probably sticks so flip a coin on Iggy and Woods, keep one and send the other to the PS.  Both need more work on their development so it's only a matter of what we value more Iggy in coverage or Woods who may play the run better.  I'd stick with Iggy for awhile longer hoping the light finally goes on.  In coverage and the open field he plays well he just hasn't learned how to play in the "trash" around the LOS maybe because he wasn't used that way in college either.  With his speed he could be another valuable LB on blitzes though.

Yeah I think Nick is in Bullard is out. Abdul to PS.  A lot of people think Kwit makes it due to special teams, I am not so sure and his salary bump isn't helping his cause.

• Like 1