Patriots WR Josh Gordon reinstated

Apparition

Hopefully this is a step in the right direction for Josh and provides him with the motivation to conquer his issues and show his talent on the field.

Josh Gordon like many people in this world has had personal issues to deal with. Hopefully people are supporting him to get back to a good place.

I agree that the NFL needs to provide some sort of consistency with these issues though. You can't say that you're allowing some players to return after so long and leave others out in the cold. 

2 hours ago, nextsuperstar1 said:

He needed help, not punishment. Suspending him if he is clean does not seem like helping him. His infractions are not violent and are not PEDs. 

He needs CONSEQUENCES.  Consequences must be immediate and certain or they have no effect on behavior.  If you want to help Josh, you have to get him to change his behavior.  All the league is doing by letting him back in after just TWO games, is set him on the path of destruction.  My heart goes out to his family who is ultimately going to be left being the ones who have deal with Josh's self destructive behavior.  Josh has been given multiple chances to get himself back to the league, and has shown that the league is not best place for him again and again.  My sympathy for Gordon has come to a close.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheGame316 said:

There finally is LOGIC. They've separated guys like David Irving who just shun their nose at the league and smoke weed because they want to and feel like it from the guys like Josh Gordon and Randy Gregory who have serious mental health issues and relapse when they've been triggered, Relapse is a major part of Recovery and the league has finally given guys avenues to recovery without being handed cookie cutter suspensions pretending all drug use is the same. From what I understand Gordon has a form of PTSD from his childhood and Gregory is medically Bi-Polar

Lets not get overly clinical in our physical and mental assessments. The specifics of Gordon's ongoing (and changing) issues aren't known to the public in detail.

AG20 is correct when he says: ....sure wish the league would have announced they were going to change the rules back when other teams were evaluating the risk/reward of signing the dude to a deal.

I had to check Gordon's career data at Spotrac. The guy's been suspended for 35 games over five separate years...including twice in 2014 (for a total of 11 games) and the entire 16 games of 2015. Thats fairly unusual and unique no? Any other player in the running as second best in career games suspended yet still playing

He's forfeited 2M+ for those suspensions and certainly beaten his career earnings to an unrecognizable pulp....but whats been the cost to the Patriots? Nominal....at best. The Browns? They took the brunt of things and finally called it quits - but I wanted the Packers to trade for him some time back and given the actual risk/reward put on NE.....its a no brainer - given the league continues to let him back to play. 

In 12 games last year he snagged 41 receptions for 737 yards and 4 TDs. Not Herculean numbers (as he's been capable of producing in the past) but he's only 28 and wont turn 29 till next.

If he straightens things up he'll be UFA next year. It'll be interesting to see how teams approach that.

8 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

That's not the same thing at all. 

There's a very specific set of conditions and consequence for failed drug tests in the CBA.

NFL teams offered contracts and trade capital under the assumption that the documented polices would be followed. If the league was going to remove all the risk from signing the guy, the competitive market for him would have been different. 

What do you mean they removed all the risk.  the pats did not have him for the playoff run and the playoffs.  The pats had him signed for the last year of his deal and they lost him for those games.   Did you think they were never going to let him back for smoking pot? 

54 minutes ago, Leader said:

Lets not get overly clinical in our physical and mental assessments. The specifics of Gordon's ongoing (and changing) issues aren't known to the public in detail.

AG20 is correct when he says: ....sure wish the league would have announced they were going to change the rules back when other teams were evaluating the risk/reward of signing the dude to a deal.

I had to check Gordon's career data at Spotrac. The guy's been suspended for 35 games over five separate years...including twice in 2014 (for a total of 11 games) and the entire 16 games of 2015. Thats fairly unusual and unique no? Any other player in the running as second best in career games suspended yet still playing

He's forfeited 2M+ for those suspensions and certainly beaten his career earnings to an unrecognizable pulp....but whats been the cost to the Patriots? Nominal....at best. The Browns? They took the brunt of things and finally called it quits - but I wanted the Packers to trade for him some time back and given the actual risk/reward put on NE.....its a no brainer - given the league continues to let him back to play. 

In 12 games last year he snagged 41 receptions for 737 yards and 4 TDs. Not Herculean numbers (as he's been capable of producing in the past) but he's only 28 and wont turn 29 till next.

If he straightens things up he'll be UFA next year. It'll be interesting to see how teams approach that.

Overly clinical? WTF so your saying if a guy has a documented real clinical issues that affect his mental health that should not  bear influence in the commissioners mind.  We have Gordon himself saying he has mental health issues. Whether it is PTSD or Bipoloar or OCD or any other mental health issue that should be an overriding reason to give him or any other player every opportunity to keep playing.  

7 minutes ago, patman said:

What do you mean they removed all the risk.  the pats did not have him for the playoff run and the playoffs.  The pats had him signed for the last year of his deal and they lost him for those games.   Did you think they were never going to let him back for smoking pot? 

You guys have him an RFA tender and I imagine no one in the league had any interest because I imagine most teams assumed he would stay suspended or at least miss a chunk of the season. The risk is for another team to dole out a contract for a player who wouldn't play for them.

The NFL went against precedent and their usual ruling, had any of the other 31 teams known this, Josh might have gotten a nice RFA offer and the Patriots forced to match or let him go for nothing. Instead the Pats get him cheap and Josh doesn't get a shot at a contract until he's 29.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, patman said:

Overly clinical? WTF so your saying if a guy has a documented real clinical issues that affect his mental health that should not  bear influence in the commissioners mind.  We have Gordon himself saying he has mental health issues. Whether it is PTSD or Bipoloar or OCD or any other mental health issue that should be an overriding reason to give him or any other player every opportunity to keep playing.  

Nope. Not saying that at all..but interesting to see you jump to the wrong conclusion given the point I was making.

I was simply saying that we - you, me and the public at large (including the all knowing social media crew) should be tempered when considering the ACTUAL physical and mental issues of Josh Gordon. We dont in fact know them. Not the number of them. Not the specifics of them......or more precisely put, not the clinical nature of them. So caution is warranted. Thats all.

2 hours ago, childofpudding said:

It does seem very early to let him back considering his history of suspensions. I am surprised by that.

Then again, when has the league ever shown consistency in player discipline. This is just another example of the NFL being consistently inconsistent.

Its crazy, the dude started 12 games last year. he basically missed 7 games last year counting the playoffs. He failed, what his 4-5th drug test since being in the NFL and I believe he entered the league in the drug program. He literally got suspended for 10 games '14, suspended for the '15 and '16 season and wasnt allowed back into the league until like 3/4 of the '17. Goes to the Pats and wont even miss a game this season for his drug issues

That just sounds so freaking weird!

10 hours ago, TheGame316 said:

There finally is LOGIC

They've separated guys like David Irving who just shun their nose at the league and smoke weed because they want to and feel like it from the guys like Josh Gordon and Randy Gregory who have serious mental health issues and relapse when they've been triggered, Relapse is a major part of Recovery and the league has finally given guys avenues to recovery without being handed cookie cutter suspensions pretending all drug use is the same. From what I understand Gordon has a form of PTSD from his childhood and Gregory is medically Bi-Polar

i just dont see this move helping Gordon as much as it helps the NFL/the pats