What QBs do you expect to get benched this season?

patriotsheatyan

I'd say Fitzmagic, but that's like death & taxes.

Eli, Flacco & Case Keenum are just placeholders until the respective teams are out of the playoff picture and start thinking about 2020.

The obvious other hot seat guy is Marcus Mariota - and a capable backup in Ryan Tannehill.   It's also an issue with health/injuries with Mariota, too, but that wouldn't count as a benching.

The guys with the shortest leash who don't already have a clear successor have to be Derek Carr and Andy Dalton.   Gruden loves every QB, so he'll give someone else a shot if OAK is eliminated (and frankly, might help their 1.1 odds).   CIN has Ryan Finley as a 4th round investment, and while it's totally fine to make him a perennial backup, it wouldn't shock me if CIN decides to see what they have there.

The tag on Mariota and Winston next year starts at about 30 million.

I would say if their teams see poor play from them and a spark from a backup then they are both done.

Anyone not named Haskins in DC may get a short leash. (Haskins won't start the season as the #1)

I could see Eli playing all 16 or he could get the 2004 Kurt Warner hook after 4-8 weeks.

I want to address the serious ones mentioned in this thread one by one.  Most of the names mentioned are far fetched.

On 8/17/2019 at 1:19 AM, BayRaider said:

Andy Dalton

Most likely not.  Ryan Finley hasn't looked great this preseason.  We can be sure that at this point, he's not better than Andy Dalton.  In any case, i think Dalton in this new offense will surprise some people.

1% chance.

Marcus Mariota

This i could see.  Mariota has been a bit of a disappointment since his sophomore season.  Still, i only give it a 5% chance.

Derek Carr

He's not getting benched for Peterman. 0% chance (at least, we all hope not).

On 8/17/2019 at 1:20 AM, Broncofan said:

Fitzmagic

Yep, 75% chance.

Eli

99% chance, yes.  Successor in waiting, been down the last few years, etc.

Flacco

90% chance, yes.  With Drew Lock waiting, Flacco would have to play well and Lock would have to be pretty bad in practice to not get a chance at some point.

Case Keenum

99% chance it's happening.  Probably before week 4.

On 8/17/2019 at 3:06 AM, SkippyX said:

Winston

I doubt it.  I give it a 25% chance because Gabbert's career as a starter won't seem to die, but i think he'll play better than expected.  Plus there's no real successor behind him.

8 hours ago, wwhickok said:

Jimmy Garappolo

1% chance.  Again, no real successor behind him, and they paid the guy.  They'll play the guy.

Lamar Jackson

5% chance.  But nothing behind him, and i think they're committed (for this season at least) to seeing how this kind of offense works.

Alex Smith

That would be something.

One other name that wasn't mentioned yet -

Josh Allen - not very likely (maybe 5% or less), but if he struggles i could see the Bills trying to see what Tyree Jackson can do.  Especially if Lamar Jackson is tearing it up.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, theJ said:

but if he struggles i could see the Bills trying to see what Tyree Jackson can do. 

He won't even make the 53 and I would argue shouldn't be on the PS. 

If Allen gets benched it is because the D is still balling out and its his particular play costing the Bills games. Barkley has looked really solid all summer and if the Bills thought they were a playoff team they could make a switch to the veteran. Like you said, probably less then a 5% chance.