Texans vs Lions - Preseason Game 2

tab

Good God - who would hire Johnny Manziel as spokesperson for their car insurance company???  Is roadside domestic violence an optional coverage?  Interlock device discount?  Free DWI towing?   Payments accepted in cocaine?   Does he autograph every policy?  Is drunken Aggie Regent Tony Buzbee a shareholder?

• Like 1

Can't wait for the Longhorn homers to start weighing in with the Omenihu > Clowney takes now that Foreman > Miller didn't quite pan out. That being said, I can't remember the last time I saw a Texans lineman get pressure on 3 straight plays like that. 

In other news, Colvin getting abused by some Lacrosse player named "Tom" from someplace called Bryant College.  Miss you Gaine.  Great signing.

Edited by Apollo Stallion
  • Like 1

Time to add a few names to the standout list:

• Kalambayi ILB - looks like the light came on  - always love these Stanford guys
  • Davis OLB - mark my words, this guy is our new UDFA find in the mold of Scarlett, Cole
  • Huggins DT - has shown more than Watkins has in 3 years
  • Boddy-Calhoun CB (I hate Colvin more than your hyphen)
  • Carter WR (tuck in your dang shirt tho)
  • V. Smith WR (spell check your name tho)
  • Chad Hanson WR
  • Tyron Johnson WR - has definitely passed Mitchell, especially as a returner
  • Buddy Howell RB - was a ST's beast last year and has shown he's a decent RB too

Sure would be nice if one of these RBs would do something or we're going to be looking at Taiwan Jones.

Looking for work soon

• Baity CB - abused
  • Pridgeon G - clueless
  • Kalil LT - you don't get paid $7.5m to look like a clueless UDFA (reminder - this is a former #4 overall pick)
  • X. Crawford - CB - following the Jermaine Kelly strategy of not actually playing to try to get the IR resort pass  (btw in case you missed it, we finally cut bait on last years annual ridiculous waste of a pick on talentless late round db last week)  Treston Decoud and KJ Dillon also say hi.

1 minute ago, Apollo Stallion said:

Time to add a few names to the standout list:

• Kalambayi ILB - looks like the light came on  - always love these Stanford guys
  • Davis OLB - mark my words, this guy is our new UDFA find in the mold of Scarlett, Cole
  • Huggins DT - has shown more than Watkins has in 3 years
  • Boddy-Calhoun CB (I hate Colvin more than your hyphen)
  • Carter WR (tuck in your dang shirt tho)
  • V. Smith WR (spell check your name tho)
  • Chad Hanson WR
  • Tyron Johnson WR - has definitely passed Mitchell, especially as a returner
  • Buddy Howell RB - was a ST's beast last year and has shown he's a decent RB too

Sure would be nice if one of these RBs would do something or we're going to be looking at Taiwan Jones.

Looking for work soon

• Baity CB - abused
  • Pridgeon G - clueless
  • Kalil LT - you don't get paid $7.5m to look like a clueless UDFA
  • X. Crawford - CB - following the Jermaine Kelly strategy of not actually playing to try to get the IR resort pass  (btw in case you missed it, we finally cut bait on last years annual ridiculous waste of a pick on talentless late round db last week)  Treston Decoud and KJ Dillon also say hi.

Howell is making a case for himself right now. I think he needs more reps next week with the 1s. 

The WR cut down is going to be brutal, but I think we keep 6. 

Hopkins, Fuller, Coutee, Carter, Smith, Johnson

16 hours ago, Jaytrajik said:

I bet teams are salivating on the odd TE out. I just dont see us carrying 4 TEs but you never know. 

Warring seems to be an IR resort candidate at this point.  Can't make the club in the tub and he's spent so much time in there he's turning into a prune (NFI, hammy, concussion).  He was always going to be a raw prospect anyway, so a redshirt year learning the game wouldn't be the worst thing.  There is no way Fells should not be on this roster at this point as he's one of the best blocking TEs in the game and has shown he's been underutilized as a pass catcher.  Personally, I hope we can find a way to trade Adams outside the division for a token pick as I don't want to see him in a Tenn or Jax uniform after we cut him. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ET80 said:

I would love to see Martins Rankin work into RG and Scharping go to RT, but that's a very long term thing to look for.

This OL will accomplish everything we need it to accomplish.

Rankin was 3rd string RG yesterday and that was even with Kalil, Martin, and Mancz not playing and Howard getting hurt.  That places him not only on the bubble by wayyyy outside the bubble. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather see him stick than Kelemete and O'Brien is flat nuts if he follows thru in his threat of keeping Kalil and Henderson as our starting tackles, but Rankin is clearly on the wrong side of things right now.  Pridgeon was laughably bad at LG, so it's possible they were just giving him some reps to see if he's a PS candidate (nope) and giving Rankin some time on the right side as it seems clear Howard has the LG job, but I would not consider Rankin's job safe at all.  Shakir even seems ahead of him right now.

I noticed Davenport out there on the right side yesterday as well (because that worked out so well last year), but I think he's a goner as at best he's our #6 tackle if not behind Leonard and Steinmetz who unlike him are actually strong enough to play RT. If the preseason actually counts for anything, Nick "living off draft position and brother's rep" Martin will be riding pine behind Fulton who should have been our starting C last year and Mancz as his backup. Martin needs to come back and try to earn a spot at RG and hopefully by midseason Sharping is ready to kick out to RT.  We still may end up with a poor o-line, but hopefully it's going to feature a bunch of faces and new places that don't carry the stink of the past two years.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, amazingandre said:

Line looking good. I love the time they are giving him and the fact DW didn't take off when he had all day. He was patient and waited for someone to come open. 

Just as a reminder - the line looked good last preseason in pass protection too, particularly Davenport. Run blocking should have been a red flag across the board, but I'm actually pretty confident that if we go with the rookies at LG & RG it will improve as Fulton and Kelemete were only out there because unlike XSF and Allen they at least don't fall for stunts and give up free runners.  Lamm was a preseason trainwreck, but ended up as our best tackle which doesn't say much aside from the fact that Davenport, Rankin, Johnson, and Sharpe couldn't play on the right.  I thought Fuller, Slade, and Quessenberry all stood out in the PS, but none made the roster with our bizarre decision to keep only 8 o-linemen which bit us in the butt about 10 minutes into the season and probably cost us the first month of the season.  Roderick Johnson was objectively terrible in the PS last year, but he seems like the rare unicorn who actually improved under the Devil's (I mean Devlin's) tutelage.  I was actually impressed by Henderson last PS, but he seems like a statue this year who is going to get abused once the real speed rushers start coming around the edge.  Personally, I'd like to see Fells out there helping on the passing downs even if it means missing out on the Jordan's upside. 

I doubt it, but there is a part of me that thinks Kalil is just a typical diva vet (a very rich former #4 overall pick), who doesn't put out much effort in the PS especially coming off injury and that he might have another gear once the games count.  Most people would think he'd want to prove himself considering how things ended in Carolina, but the guy is a reknown SoCal headcase, so it's entirely possible he feels he has nothing to prove and O'Brien seems to be supporting this.  On the other hand, he may just be a guy who just doesn't much like football anymore or isn't willing to make the "sacrifices" that it takes to compete at the elite level (aka eating the tainted Mexican beef or hitting the gym with Cushing).