Week 2 Preseason SF @ DEN GD Thread

Broncofan

11 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

This 2 minute drill is bug for Lock.

Lock's not making the big mistakes, so that's already a big improvement from the HoF game.  But the drill also shows how fast the game is for him right now - the time between plays is 5-10 secs longer than you see with guys who've caught up to game speed, like we saw in ATL with 2nd-year guy Kurt Benkert.

And...right on cue, Lock gets away with a bad inside throw on 2nd down.   His first really bad decision, the other issues were lack of recognition, this one was a really bad decicsion...and a worse throw off his back foot.  That's a pick 6 if McKnight doesn't play DB.   

Edited by Broncofan

Good thing that was overthrown, that was triple coverage on that throw.  49ers did a great job making Lock think it was a blitz and man coverage....nope.

Right after I said Lock hadn't made any major mistakes, 1 bad throw (bailed out by D hold), and 3 really bad decisions in a row.   I don't blame the O for calling run and long FG there.   

You can see the tools Lock has, and he's making progress, but still a ways to go.   But he's learning, this is what we should have expected, it's going to take a while.

Edited by Broncofan

While Denver hasn’t punched it in the end zone, this has been a solid game for Denver.

The 1st string defense was exceptional aside from a few run plays.  The offense never got going, but didn’t look completely inept.

Lock has definitely shown improvement, which is big.  Still not ready, but doesn’t look like a deer in headlights.

Fant out (foot), Lock questionable (thumb).  Damn.  The real concern is that Fant suffered a midfoot sprain with that rollover by 3 guys.    I was hoping they'd have said it was an ankle, that would have been a low ankle sprain, the foot injury is really worrisome given the mechanism of injury there.  Fingers crossed.  Ugh.

Our first team D's play was really good vs. SF's O - but if there was an area of concern, it was our ILB play.   Sadly, our 2nd string ILB play is no better.   SF gashed us by going run / bubble screen and just exploiting our ILB's.   Definitely our weak spot.

Edited by Broncofan

29 minutes ago, broncofan48 said:

Bad drafting for the last few years (pre 2018) has nuked the depth on this team

Yeah and now all our picks are getting hurt. The Fant injury is very concerning given the nature of it. As Booger (whose a pretty good color commentator) said on the broadcast, none of our TE draft picks have stayed healthy. 

1 minute ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Yeah and now all our picks are getting hurt. The Fant injury is very concerning given the nature of it. As Booger (whose a pretty good color commentator) said on the broadcast, none of our TE draft picks have stayed healthy. 

That’s a good point 

Really too bad Joseph Jones is going to be out for so long because after AJ Johnson, none of the backup LBs on this team can play. Want to see more of Carter just because he's new. Not unexpected but too bad they haven't found anybody. 

Not including Hollins, who has impressed me in his nickel role. 

7 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

5 minutes ago, broncofan48 said:

That’s a good point 

Butt was the one guy with a major injury history.  Heuermann, Fumigali (who I wasn't crazy about the pick, but I can't say it was due to being a big injury risk) and now Fant didn't really have injury risk.  And as we know, that play doesn't happen without the penalty the play before.    In the last 3 players' cases, injuries were just random, freak events, not due to the player having a known risk.  There's a lot to take Elway to task for draft-wise before 2018, but the TE injuries are hard to ding him on (and even Butt, it was a 5.1 pick, so hard to say he reached there).

Just ugh all the way around....let's hope it's a minor injury, the fear is the Lisfranc mid-foot sprain.

Edited by Broncofan

26 minutes ago, germ-x said:

While Denver hasn’t punched it in the end zone, this has been a solid game for Denver.

The 1st string defense was exceptional aside from a few run plays.  The offense never got going, but didn’t look completely inept.

Lock has definitely shown improvement, which is big.  Still not ready, but doesn’t look like a deer in headlights.

I can see us occasionally getting gashed in the run game, but making the stops when we need to. This defense is one you have to beat by slowly picking it apart. They won't let you beat them over the top and they tend to be stout up front. 

I so loathe ESPN. They’re interviewing Richard Sherman. Why? Because he’s a camera whore or a (now washed up and always over-rated) big name?

What a joke that network has become, I remember when it was about covering sports, now it’s all hype the leagues they cover and shoving left-wing politics down our throats. 

• Like 1