Week 2 Preseason SF @ DEN GD Thread

Broncofan

3 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Hope Denver is keeping an eye on Richie James, who may be a bubble guy for SF. 

Excellent call, because he has PR/KR abilities as well as adding an element of speed we simply lack.    Scangarelli & Elway seem to targeting big body types, you'd think a lid lifer would help our scheme a lot.

14 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Man, Brendel with a hold.  False start, hold, sack given up.  The unholy trio.    There's still time, but the likelihood he makes the top 8 seems awfully low, even on our squad.   

Yeah, he's been a big disappointment. Schlottman looks like he's recently made a move to jump the rest of the slop we have at OG/C. I think it's Wilkinson, Barclay, Schlottman and a tackle who may or may not be on the roster yet. Hopefully not Chaz Green. 

14 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Yeah, he's been a big disappointment. Schlottman looks like he's recently made a move to jump the rest of the slop we have at OG/C. I think it's Wilkinson, Barclay, Schlottman and a tackle who may or may not be on the roster yet. Hopefully not Chaz Green. 

It’s disappointing because Barclay is a stop gap vet.   I agree he’s likely the best G out there from the subs.  Schlottman kinda becomes a shoo in as the only C/G capable guy who isn’t a complete turnstile.   But not like he didn’t have his problems tonight.  Just not as bad as others. 

We need cheap depth.  That’s how rebuilders become contenders.  Oh well.  

Edited by Broncofan

Just from a RB perspective, most of the teams I’ve seen this preseason are rolling out an accomplished college RB as a #4 or a size/speed back that’s 205+ pounds and runs in the 4.4s.  Denver is trotting out 2 5’8” 180 pounders....it was literally never even a competition at that position.

Edited by germ-x

49 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Just from a RB perspective, most of the teams I’ve seen this preseason are rolling out an accomplished college RB as a #4 or a size/speed back that’s 205+ pounds and runs in the 4.4s.  Denver is trotting out 2 5’8” 180 pounders....it was literally never even a competition at that position.

Devontae Jackson is the least athletic small back I think I've ever seen. 

I've been saying it all offseason - I really don't see the hype with Bolles at all. I even read an article on the Athletic talking him up this week, but I go off what I see on the field and it ain't pretty.

For me, he simply isn't big enough. He looks about 290lbs out there and he's getting whooped silly, especially in the run game.

I am not one to overreact to preseason; however our observations re: the OL stem from plenty of real game snaps and that concern isn't going away any time soon. We're still giving up pressures, still dropping balls on Offense and still lacking any consistent threat besides #10. 

Speaking of #10 - where is the person on this forum that was saying we were stupid for not getting rid of him? The guy is the only consistent player we have on Offense. Easily our best Offensive player, and it isn't even close which is depressing considering his age and the fact he's coming off an Achilles.

Edited by lomaxgrUK

2 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I've been saying it all offseason - I really don't see the hype with Bolles at all. I even read an article on the Athletic talking him up this week, but I go off what I see on the field and it ain't pretty.

For me, he simply isn't big enough. He looks about 290lbs out there and he's getting whooped silly, especially in the run game.

I am not one to overreact to preseason; however our observations re: the OL stem from plenty of real game snaps and that concern isn't going away any time soon. We're still giving up pressures, still dropping balls on Offense and still lacking any consistent threat besides #10. 

Speaking of #10 - where is the person on this forum that was saying we were stupid for not getting rid of him? The guy is the only consistent player we have on Offense. Easily our best Offensive player, and it isn't even close which is depressing considering his age and the fact he's coming off an Achilles.

The reasons for hope long term are there - our best players on D are all young and signed past 2021, except Shelby Harris.  And while we haven’t seen results yet, Munchak’s ability to improve an OL is usually seen in year 2   

But yeah, the reasons why we aren’t legit contenders though are starkly apparent - our OL play is really suspect, our run D hasn’t been great and our ILB play on both pass coverage and in space vs. the run are  just abysmal.   Lock has taken 6 sacks and at least 10 pressures in just over 6 quarters of play.   Basically right now we aren’t a very good trench team.   Teams that struggle with trench play usually pick in the top 10 the next season, barring elite QB play and we certainly don’t have that.   And our ST play is brutal right now - that is also fixable but again it’s almost impossible to be a contender and be bad at ST and trench play.  

And while it’s the preseason - last night we faced a SF D that didn’t play 5 of its front 7 starters (Bosa, Ford, Buckner, Warner & Kwon Alexander).   To have our OL struggle is a huge flag for our 2019 outlook.   It doesn’t mean it can’t be fixed by Munchak over time - but it means it’s going to take time.  

Re: Sanders I tip my cap he’s a warrior and a freak.  The one major caveat - Achilles injuries rob the explosion and elusiveness of WR’s.   Straight line speed plays are least affected.   So the end around where he didn't have to make guys miss or the go route are ones where he isn’t as affected by the Achilles.  Change of direction and stop/go plays are where his ability to separate is tested are going to tell the tale on how much old Sanders we see.   But it also shows OC Scangarelli gets how to use Sanders right now, too.  No coincidence he got the call on an out pattern the very first pass.   Tip my cap they drew up a great game plan to get 10 his swag and confidence back.  

But yes he was also clearly our best WR last night.   Given what we have seen so far it’s hard to believe anyone is approaching our top 3 rotation.   All that talk early on about Winfree flashing has faded - not that surprising given he’s a rookie.  Langley isn’t even seeing the field much.  I would be surprised if he makes the squad right now.  Everyone else is just in the background no one has stood out after 3 games.  Patrick is a gamer and right now he’s our #4 but skill wise he’s JAG.    I love the call to look for Richie James to get cut.  He’d immediately become our 4th WR and upgrade the KR / PR corps.  Plus he’s cheap and cost controlled for 2020-21 so he’s the kind of roster cut that fits a rebuilder plan perfectly. 

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

From what I watched, the defense looked incredibly strong, especially Shelby Harris. With Harris/Wolfe/Gotsis all up next year, it will be fascinating to see who stays and who goes. I liked what I saw from Yiadom, Bausby, Harris, basically the entire secondary. I'm not particularly worried defensively at the moment whatsoever. Chubb looked like a man possessed. He and Miller are going to be stellar together.

Offensively, I liked what I saw on the first drive, even if it stalled in the red zone.  A few nice plays from Flacco, Sanders, Sutton, Hamilton, but then it kind of died on the vine. The OL is dreadful though. Bolles is terrible. The holding call and general inability to run block are the same old things we've come to expect from him. He's going to be an uber-penalized player time and time again. Munchak will need some time, as this group is not very good.

Special teams/kick coverage is atrocious. Complete dumpster fire, and I can see that being the case all year. Colby Wadman also doesn't impress me even a little bit. Could use a punting upgrade immediately.

13 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I so loathe ESPN. They’re interviewing Richard Sherman. Why? Because he’s a camera whore or a (now washed up and always over-rated) big name?

What a joke that network has become, I remember when it was about covering sports, now it’s all hype the leagues they cover and shoving left-wing politics down our throats. 

Well the issue with ESPN "covering sports" is that every single consumer can get much better coverage on their favorite teams immediately...as opposed to needing to watch Sportscenter or NFL Live to hear takes outside of their morning paper