Week 2 Preseason SF @ DEN GD Thread

Broncofan

40 minutes ago, champ11 said:

Well the issue with ESPN "covering sports" is that every single consumer can get much better coverage on their favorite teams immediately...as opposed to needing to watch Sportscenter or NFL Live to hear takes outside of their morning paper

Morning paper?  You are getting old my man

8 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I've been saying it all offseason - I really don't see the hype with Bolles at all. I even read an article on the Athletic talking him up this week, but I go off what I see on the field and it ain't pretty.

For me, he simply isn't big enough. He looks about 290lbs out there and he's getting whooped silly, especially in the run game.

I am not one to overreact to preseason; however our observations re: the OL stem from plenty of real game snaps and that concern isn't going away any time soon. We're still giving up pressures, still dropping balls on Offense and still lacking any consistent threat besides #10. 

Speaking of #10 - where is the person on this forum that was saying we were stupid for not getting rid of him? The guy is the only consistent player we have on Offense. Easily our best Offensive player, and it isn't even close which is depressing considering his age and the fact he's coming off an Achilles.

That would me. In my defense, he's 32, coming off an Achilles injury, and we would've saved a lot of money by cutting him. It's easy to look back with hindsight, though. 

2 hours ago, BroncoSojia said:

That would me. In my defense, he's 32, coming off an Achilles injury, and we would've saved a lot of money by cutting him. It's easy to look back with hindsight, though. 

Who's just looking back in hindsight? I said it at the time! Hopefully you've seen the light (or the darkness of some of our other weapons right now).

Apparently Lock is going to be out for 'some time'. That's huge, as it means we are going to have to carry 3 QBs until he's healthy, and likely for the season as Lock won't see any more game action.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Who's just looking back in hindsight? I said it at the time! Hopefully you've seen the light (or the darkness of some of our other weapons right now).

Apparently Lock is going to be out for 'some time'. That's huge, as it means we are going to have to carry 3 QBs until he's healthy, and likely for the season as Lock won't see any more game action.

Man, that's a killer for us.  We might as well put Lock on IR-return then if it's going to be "a while".   Get him back for Week 9, and get an extra roster spot.  We have to keep him on the 53-man roster before, though.   Latest info we have...

The thing that hurts Lock is he needed the reps.   Absolutely needed them to accelerate his growth.  He could still be the 2020+ answer....but ideally he would have as many preseason game reps as possible, and then 2H 2019 reps.  Fortunately he can still get the 2019 2H reps if we are knocked out of the playoff hunt (I'd say late Nov/early Dec is the most likely scenario), but even then it would have been great to get as many practice snaps and preseason game time.    Oh well.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I've been saying it all offseason - I really don't see the hype with Bolles at all. I even read an article on the Athletic talking him up this week, but I go off what I see on the field and it ain't pretty.

For me, he simply isn't big enough. He looks about 290lbs out there and he's getting whooped silly, especially in the run game.

Some nice film breakdown re: Bolles. He's been making mental mistakes since he first came into the league and has never stopped.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Obviously Sanders looks good and I was wrong. I just don't think it was outlandish at the time to say that we should cut a 32 year old WR that's coming off an Achilles injury (on top of being injured the year before) in order to save 8 mil on the cap

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, BroncoSojia said:

Obviously Sanders looks good and I was wrong. I just don't think it was outlandish at the time to say that we should cut a 32 year old WR that's coming off an Achilles injury (on top of being injured the year before) in order to save 8 mil on the cap

On a team with a slight dropoff then sure, but the gap between E and our next best Offensive player is maybe the biggest in the entire league between their best and 2nd best player on Offense (Saquan perhaps).

Alas, I'm glad you agree now.

Edited by lomaxgrUK

1 hour ago, lomaxgrUK said:

On a team with a slight dropoff then sure, but the gap between E and our next best Offensive player is maybe the biggest in the entire league between their best and 2nd best player on Offense (Saquan perhaps).

Alas, I'm glad you agree now.

Achilles injuries are usually a death knell for WRs, especially older ones, and the 8 mil in cap savings would've been very useful. I had no way of knowing if he'd bounce back to this extent.

Edited by BroncoSojia

Well this is ominous coming from Klis (while his personal takes are brutal, his hard factual info is as reliable as it gets)... long term there’s little to no risk but it increases chance of IR-return.   

Edited by Broncofan

These next two weeks would have been big for Drew, so that really sucks. Would have played next week's second half and probably the first half of the Arizona game. He's not close but he still showed progress in a lot of areas over three weeks and it was the only thing making the second halves of these games interesting. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

These next two weeks would have been big for Drew, so that really sucks. Would have played next week's second half and probably the first half of the Arizona game. He's not close but he still showed progress in a lot of areas over three weeks and it was the only thing making the second halves of these games interesting. 

This isn’t a killer for his long term outlook but for him to hit the ground running this pushes back his ETA for the reasons you covered.   That would have accelerated his development in a huge way.   Hopefully he avoids IR return because 8 weeks of practice lost is also going to be unfortunate. 

He could still bust out but that’s way too soon to say.   But given where he’s at now the chances of looking decent at the end of this season went down a fair bit (when he likely gets some starts assuming we’re eliminated).   Learning at preseason speed with more time really helps guys. Plus the extra practice time with the 1’s in reg season helps a ton.    One look at how ATL’s Kurt Benkert looked in the HoF game vs. last preseason shows how much that time helps. 

Edited by Broncofan