Week 2 Preseason SF @ DEN GD Thread

Broncofan

1 hour ago, BroncoBruin said:

What a roller coaster of a 24 hours for Hogan. Embarrassing performance against 3rd/4th team defenders that should have ended his Broncos career and now he's right back to being the #2. 

Who does #2 work for?  

That's right buddy, show that turd whose boss.  

Grrrrrr...grrr...pffft...grrrr..pffft...gurgle 

• Like 1

I say drew lock throws left handed if Jake Plummer can do it so can he lol. No but in all seriousness. How much does practice in the regular season help? That's the ultimate question. I know Romo greatly improved running the scout team does drew have that option or is that practice squad only?

3 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

I say drew lock throws left handed if Jake Plummer can do it so can he lol. No but in all seriousness. How much does practice in the regular season help? That's the ultimate question. I know Romo greatly improved running the scout team does drew have that option or is that practice squad only?

Sadly if you are on IR, no practice allowed.   Otherwise teams could use IR for a whole bunch of roster shenanigans.

The other problem is that as of now, Theo Riddick, Joe Jones, Andy Janovich and now Drew Lock have potential injuries that will cost actual reg. season time, and pretty significant time (and in Jones' case, there's a major risk of relapse/aggravating the injury).   Rules say you don't need to designate the players anymore, but you can't IR-recall more than 2 guys in a year.   And we definitely will need to IR some of those guys to have a full roster, as much as I believe we're not a legit 2019 contender, Elway's not going to think that way Week 1 and leave 49 guys as active, and 4 dead spots.   Honestly, even though it will cost Elway 1M, cutting Riddick with an injury settlement (and then perhaps getting back some of the $ if another team signs him, vet min gets back 700K of that if there was offset language in the contract, and there usually is unless you're a star) and avoiding the other 1.5M in non-guaranteed base & other bonuses would be swell, and help our roster crunch.

• Like 1

On 8/20/2019 at 11:10 AM, lomaxgrUK said:

Some nice film breakdown re: Bolles. He's been making mental mistakes since he first came into the league and has never stopped.

Bolles frustrates me at times also. Hopefully being in one scheme, with the same OL coaches will help out. New systems and coaches each year hasn't helped.

In all fairness, Fumagali has to make that chip. Fangio even mentioned that today. Garret gets the hold but the missed assignment was Fumagali.

1 hour ago, AKRNA said:

Bolles frustrates me at times also. Hopefully being in one scheme, with the same OL coaches will help out. New systems and coaches each year hasn't helped.

In all fairness, Fumagali has to make that chip. Fangio even mentioned that today. Garret gets the hold but the missed assignment was Fumagali.

seeing scrubs in #84 makes me sick. YUCK !!! 

The thing about Bolles is what @lomaxgrUK posted was reported before the offseason.  There was a report that the FO has grown frustrated with him because he hasn’t taken to coaching, he’s still making the same mistakes he’s made as a rookie.

I know @lomaxgrUK has mentioned how he’s undersized and he definitely is.  I saw him in person on 8/5 at training camp and he looks like an over sized TE . However, the video of the holding penalty has nothing to do with size, that’s 100% poor technique.  Yes he should’ve gotten a better chip from the TE, but even with that Bolles is an exceptional athlete at LT.  He has a 4.95 40 and a 7.29 3 cone.  In terms of offensive lineman he’s a ridiculous athlete, he shouldn’t be getting beat the way he does on the corner with speed.  If he was getting bull rushed and over powered it would make sense, he isn’t a big guy by OL standards, but he gets beat by quickness far more than he should and that’s just not taking to coaching or learning technique for a player with his physical talent.

I am still not giving up on him, but this preseason has not been a vote of confidence.

I am watching the Steeler/Titan game and have watched way more preseason games this year than ever before.  It’s just alarming how pitiful Denver’s offensive depth is pretty much across the board.  Not that it’s excellent football, but Denver’s 2nd/3rd units look JV compared to most of what I’ve watched.

3 hours ago, germ-x said:

I am watching the Steeler/Titan game and have watched way more preseason games this year than ever before.  It’s just alarming how pitiful Denver’s offensive depth is pretty much across the board.  Not that it’s excellent football, but Denver’s 2nd/3rd units look JV compared to most of what I’ve watched.

The bottom half of this camp roster is one of the worst I've ever seen. Once Lock got hurt, had no desire to watch these guys play to be honest. 

On 8/23/2019 at 5:13 PM, germ-x said:

The thing about Bolles is what @lomaxgrUK posted was reported before the offseason.  There was a report that the FO has grown frustrated with him because he hasn’t taken to coaching, he’s still making the same mistakes he’s made as a rookie.

I know @lomaxgrUK has mentioned how he’s undersized and he definitely is.  I saw him in person on 8/5 at training camp and he looks like an over sized TE . However, the video of the holding penalty has nothing to do with size, that’s 100% poor technique.  Yes he should’ve gotten a better chip from the TE, but even with that Bolles is an exceptional athlete at LT.  He has a 4.95 40 and a 7.29 3 cone.  In terms of offensive lineman he’s a ridiculous athlete, he shouldn’t be getting beat the way he does on the corner with speed.  If he was getting bull rushed and over powered it would make sense, he isn’t a big guy by OL standards, but he gets beat by quickness far more than he should and that’s just not taking to coaching or learning technique for a player with his physical talent.

I am still not giving up on him, but this preseason has not been a vote of confidence.

Really hard to find fault with what you or @lomaxgrUK have posted. pretty accurate assessments, I've liked them.

So, what I'm offering (and will believe will come true) is the flip side of the coin. I'm a believer in Garrets flip side.

We all knew, coming out, that Garret was far from the sharpest knife in the drawer, as @AnAngryAmericanhas capsulized, a meathead. Can't disagree. A meathead however that has outrageous athletic skills for a man his size and that "like to fight" attitude thats really necessary for a guy in that spot.

He only had 1 year in the FSB, basically no coaching. His 1st year in the NFL he had, IMO, about the worst coach for a guy in his position could have. Last year he finally had some good coaching and by the end of the season was arguably a top 10-15 LT.

Given continuity from a system and coaching perspective I still believe he'll thrive. I think Fangio and friends have at least 3-4 years to straighten out a mess. Munchak probably won't stick but Kuper will. Given 2 years of consistent coaching, identical terminology, and the same offensive system he'll be very, very good.

Your observation about his size is astute from both of you. I'd like to see him around 310. I think he can carry that and maintain his quickness. Huge OT's, IMO, are a thing of the past. Too many speedy edge guys. You've got to bite the bullet somewhere, in this case it's getting a guy that should be able to handle the speed and still deal effectively against 330lb DL guys 

Anyway, curious to see how the season unfolds. My guess? By the end of the season Bolles is a top 5 LT. Laugh at me later guys. Lets see how the season goes.

12 hours ago, germ-x said:

Mariota is a guy we could take a gamble on next year if it doesn't work with the Titans. Although if they don't want to keep him then it's probably not anything to get excited about. 

3 hours ago, champ11 said:

Mariota is a guy we could take a gamble on next year if it doesn't work with the Titans. Although if they don't want to keep him then it's probably not anything to get excited about. 

We're going to upgrade in the tiniest increments every year until we've fully transitioned from worst QB situation in the league to completely average QB play.