Left Guard--Do We Make A Move For A Legit Starter

Just Want A Title

On ‎28‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 4:48 PM, SimbaWho said:

I mean you guys are right, that's what they will do. No way would they actually pay a guy and go get one of the best LT's in the game. That's never been the Lions, EVER! It's cheaper and more profitable to wait for another teams garbage to pick up, that's just good enough to compete on our team. An if we draft a guy then we'll keep him but we're not reaching out for a guy beyond UFA/draft. Lions gone this route before with limited/mild success. I think the best move they've made was for Sims when they gave up only a 5th rdp to Seattle for a guy that started 5 years and every single game!

Literally two guys that can't crack the starting lineups on good lines... people will accept trading a 7th rdp, guys who've proven nothing to come in compete for a job vs trading a 1st and 4th plus signing Williams to a 15 million dollar deal annually. Like... why idk. Draft capital maybe? All's I do know is you have to have players to be good. I know the Patriot way is to find diamonds in the rough, but GEMS like Williams don't exactly become available often in the NFL if we wanna use analogy's. Decker could be a top five LG, Willams is prolly a top five LT, and Ragnow could play at pro-bro type level at C imo. Idk the extent of his injury or whatever, but whoever pointed that out has a real legit point. The teams have doctors though and if I ran the Lions he'd have to have some test and get ok by my doctors, etc. 

I knew posting, that's not what the Lions are going to do. It's just what I would do, It would(IMO) create a dominate line from C to LT with two above average players on the other side. IMO, again, they'd have or should have a top 5 OLine with that unit. Helping out our most talented players on offense/maybe the team(Stafford/Kerryon Johnson. 

I'm not against trading for and/or paying a guy at a position of weakness. However, there are two big question marks in this scenario: Williams is 30+. How much longer can you expect him to play at this level for the money you're going to pay him? We could sign him to a big contract with a quick drop off. You throw in the draft compensation to get him and you're buried 6 feet under trying to figure out how to get out. Secondly, assuming that we move Decker to another spot on the OL, has he ever played at either OG spot before? Could he work at RT?

On 8/28/2019 at 6:32 PM, Just Want A Title said:

I have a conspiracy theory:

The Patriots have traded for two different guards today.  They have two really awesome guards in Shag Mason and Joe Thuney.  Shaq Mason is already signed to a long-term contract and is one of the better guards in the NFL.  Joe Thuney is turning into a really good Guard but is still on his rookie contract.  Bob Quin might make a play for Joe Thuney to fill the LG spot.  Not sure what the compensation will be but he would be a great addition to our o-line.

Thoughts?

not really a conspiracy theory...more of just a wish..and im sure they would give up a future pick for him so idk if a future pick is worth a depth on anothe team kind of guy.