Former bears RB Cedric benson passes away

sdrawkcab321

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Sorry to hear that about your friends....but can I ask a question? Were the events that took their lives caused by their mishandling the machine (?), arbitrary action(s) of other drivers around them (?) or equipment failure that resulted in them crashing?

Over the years I'd considered purchasing one - but it always seemed to me there were too many variables beyond my control.

I used to do legal work for an insurance company for a while. We used similair nomenclature for motorcyclist.

I'm not aware of any cases in which equipment failure was the cause of a crash, not saying it hasn't happened just that in the cases I've worked on it couldn't be proven. It's almost always a human error that leads to the crash (speeding, not paying attention, ignoring road rules by either party).

I realise my view might be really skewed but I'm not getting on a motorcycle unless absolutely necessarily.

Edited by DutchFalcon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Sorry to hear that about your friends....but can I ask a question? Were the events that took their lives caused by their mishandling the machine (?), arbitrary action(s) of other drivers around them (?) or equipment failure that resulted in them crashing?

Over the years I'd considered purchasing one - but it always seemed to me there were too many variables beyond my control.

I work in LE and I consider those things highly dangerous. You see a ton of times the accidents stem from d-bag motorcyclists that like to cut between cars or speed past drivers, but you see lots of others too. Horrific accidents caused by another driver, not the motorcyclist. 

That can happen to any driver, but the risk factor is amped on a bike. If you get one, just be careful, be highly aware of other drivers, and keep mind of the road conditions. Pot holes, wet roads, speed bumps, etc. 

Anyway - it’s always really sad, especially when the guy’s so young like this. Thoughts and prayers to the guy’s family members.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

I work in LE and I consider those things highly dangerous. You see a ton of times the accidents stem from d-bag motorcyclists that like to cut between cars or speed past drivers, but you see lots of others too. Horrific accidents caused by another driver, not the motorcyclist. That can happen to any driver, but the risk factor is amped on a bike. If you get one, just be careful, be highly aware of other drivers, and keep mind of the road conditions. Pot holes, wet roads, speed bumps, etc. Anyway - it’s always really sad, especially when the guy’s so young like this. Thoughts and prayers to the guy’s family members.

Thanks for the insights. I'd forgotten about those motorcyclists that zip between cars. Foolish IMO. I'm not going there (far as purchasing one....). Too dangerous for my blood. I dont mind fast cars.....but you've got far more protection (and safeguards) around you.

Super bummed about this. I was always a fan of his even though he didn’t do well with us. Actually loved when he destroyed us when he joined the Bengals. Was just thinking about him the other day for some reason. RIP 

I love bikes and miss riding a ton since I sold mine a few years ago.  As a rider you have to be hyper aware of your surroundings and there is a significant danger from other drivers, but more often than not, the fatal accidents I've seen have almost always been a result of the rider not being safe in one way or another.

My BIL and his wife ride their motorcycle all over the place when it is warm enough and I always worry about them.   You just don't have a chance out there and too often motorist don't see them  until is too late.  

RIP   :(

Edited by Pugger

I rode all over Los Angeles as my primary vehicle for years. One day on a curve an older lady didn’t see me and decided she needed my lane to make the turn. She came over and pushed me into the divider, I bailed on my bike went over the divider and into oncoming traffic. Somehow I magically rolled enough with the fall that hitting the curb that stopped me was my only injury. I missed all the cars, and walked away with just a broken scapula that took about two months to heal. That wasn’t enough for me and two months later I built another bike. 

First ride on the new bike, fat , dumb and happy, just trying to prove I can do it again and I’m not scared. Rolling down Imperial Highway, sun shining down on me, seated on my new plaid seat that matches my bikes red rims. I roll over a soft spot in the asphalt and a chunk gets thrown up by my wheels & into my engine. I hear the clunk and think nothing of it. I roll about another half mile down the road and I’ve got dummy lights on the dash now. I pull over and stop to discover that rock had gone through the engine, pierced it and all my oil was leaking out. Now that I’ve stopped the oil is on the tires. I call my buddy who picks me up in the pickup and these tires are so slick that it is a nightmare to even get it loaded into the truck. It just keeps sliding on the ramp trying to load it. That was it for me. Even a minor curveball can kill you. I was extremely lucky that second time I didn’t make it to a turn where I started to lean. That back wheel would have gone loose and I’d have had a rough landing. 

Not even considering the damage a june bug did to me one day riding along. That bug hit me right under my right eye and it was worse then any of the times I’ve been hit doing Muay Thai. 

Bikes are fun but you’re playing the odds. 

• Like 8

31 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I was going to ask if anyone was old enough to remember the Benson vs Peterson debates.

Oh Peterson was part of my graduating year and I played against him in a spring game. No question Peterson was the better talent. 

18 hours ago, Boltstrikes said:

I rode all over Los Angeles as my primary vehicle for years. One day on a curve an older lady didn’t see me and decided she needed my lane to make the turn. She came over and pushed me into the divider, I bailed on my bike went over the divider and into oncoming traffic. Somehow I magically rolled enough with the fall that hitting the curb that stopped me was my only injury. I missed all the cars, and walked away with just a broken scapula that took about two months to heal. That wasn’t enough for me and two months later I built another bike. 

First ride on the new bike, fat , dumb and happy, just trying to prove I can do it again and I’m not scared. Rolling down Imperial Highway, sun shining down on me, seated on my new plaid seat that matches my bikes red rims. I roll over a soft spot in the asphalt and a chunk gets thrown up by my wheels & into my engine. I hear the clunk and think nothing of it. I roll about another half mile down the road and I’ve got dummy lights on the dash now. I pull over and stop to discover that rock had gone through the engine, pierced it and all my oil was leaking out. Now that I’ve stopped the oil is on the tires. I call my buddy who picks me up in the pickup and these tires are so slick that it is a nightmare to even get it loaded into the truck. It just keeps sliding on the ramp trying to load it. That was it for me. Even a minor curveball can kill you. I was extremely lucky that second time I didn’t make it to a turn where I started to lean. That back wheel would have gone loose and I’d have had a rough landing. 

Not even considering the damage a june bug did to me one day riding along. That bug hit me right under my right eye and it was worse then any of the times I’ve been hit doing Muay Thai. 

Bikes are fun but you’re playing the odds. 

Ever since I was a kid I wanted to own and ride a motorcycle but everytime I think about it I know it's just not worth the risk lol

Accidents happen all the time. Even minor ones can end you if you're on a motorcycle.