Phillip Rivers Overrated?

KewlBeanz

On 8/19/2019 at 10:11 AM, Art_Vandalay said:

I'm not saying he's not a great QB. I'm sure if you polled all football fans, they'd take Rivers over Eli. But certain accomplishments mean more for QB's than any other position. With other positions, you can accumulate stats over the course of your career and become a HOFer. But if Rivers gets inducted into the HOF with Pro Bowls being his greatest accomplishment, that would be unprecedented.... unless someone can point to another HOF QB that has none of these on their resume...

Conference championship
MVP or OPOTY
1st or 2nd Team All-Pro

Warren Moon.

On 8/19/2019 at 7:12 PM, SkippyX said:

Who is Philip Rivers?

• He's Marino without '83 and '84
  • He's Roethlisberger without the first 3 playoff games of 2005 and the drive to win XLIII.
  • He's Drew Brees without 2009 and 5 seasons of 70+ completion %.
  • He's Eli without '07 and '11.
  • He's Steve Young without 1994.

Its enough to get him riches, and accolades, and pro bowls, but its not on their level.

In the era of Brady, Manning, and Big Ben in the AFC, he is just a stat guy.

He's the swimmer who finished 4th or 5th a bunch over 3 Olympics while Phelps took all the golds.

- Marino is an undisputed HOFer.

- Rivers was pretty elite in 2009.

- Rivers is much better than Eli without 07 and 11. The numbers aren't even close.

- Steve young is also another undisputed HOFer.

4 hours ago, Steelersfan43 said:

If it's for points against

2004:Pats 2nd

2007:Jaguars 10th

2010:Packers 2nd

2011:Denver 24th

2014:Ravens 6th

2015:Broncos 4th

2016:Patriots 1st

2017:Jaguars 2nd

And 4 of his games, the steelers were with their backup RB as Najeh Davenport, Isaac Redman, Josh Harris and Fitzgerald Toussaint.

That's an average defensive ranking of 6.4, including five teams with top-five defenses. And the Jaguars just have his number, for whatever reason. He's thrown more INTs against the Jaguars than any other team outside the AFC North.

The only outlier here is Tim Tebow's Broncos, but every decorated QB has at least one odd playoff loss. Hell, Joe Montana got benched at halftime of the 1987 NFC Divisional Playoff against the Vikings, who finished 8-7 (strike-shortened season) and fell ***-backwards into the playoffs. Montana's last pass in the game was a "pick-six" that gave the Vikings a 20-3 halftime lead. That game is one of the biggest upsets in NFL playoff history.

5 hours ago, Steelersfan43 said:

If it's for points against

2004:Pats 2nd

2007:Jaguars 10th

2010:Packers 2nd

2011:Denver 24th

2014:Ravens 6th

2015:Broncos 4th

2016:Patriots 1st

2017:Jaguars 2nd

And 4 of his games, the steelers were with their backup RB as Najeh Davenport, Isaac Redman, Josh Harris and Fitzgerald Toussaint.

I mean if you really wanna do this with Rivers:

2006 Patriots: 2nd

2007 Patriots: 4th

2008 Steelers: 1st

2009 Jets: 1st

2013 Broncos: 22nd

2018 Patriots: 7th

That's an average ranking of 6.1

For Ben and the Steelers it's 6.4

So the strength of defenses they've lost to in the playoffs is basically a wash. If anything Rivers has lost to tougher defenses.

Edited by Bolts223

If down 16 in the 2nd half, no QB is better than Rivers in NFL history in those games. That's pretty elite how many times he comes back from 16 down in the 2nd half.

The Chargers’ signature victory gave quarterback Philip Rivers his seventh career comeback win when trailing by 16 points or more, tying Peyton Manning for most all time.

Eleven times in his career, Rivers has led his team back to victory after trailing by 14 points or more. That’s the most of any active quarterback in the NFL. 

^ those arent things "meh good" qbs do. 5 seasons with 100 plus passer rating isnt something "meh good" qbs do. Make playoffs and probowl in the sane year with 4 different head coaches isnt something "meh good" qbs do. 

You wont convince me Rivers isnt an all time great and Hofer. Not because im a Chargers fans, but because outside arbritary outlier "achievements" everything says he is. 

Having a top 10 scoring offense 8 years out of 12, with 4 different coaches isnt a "meh good" qb. Rivers isnt a system qb, he is the system.

I think he’s overrated, only in the sense that I wouldn’t vote for him in the HOF. But he’s always been a high 2nd-tier QB, definitely one of the better QBs of his generation. Purely from a quarterbacking standpoint, I think he’s the best of his draft class.

On 8/19/2019 at 3:10 PM, Thelonebillsfan said:

Y'all know Warren Moon was only All-Pro once in his prolific and storied career and that he never even made it out of the divisional round? Is he not good enough? Was he not "a winner"?

Warren moon is one of the most overrated QBs in history 

Here are the tenants of the loser:

• winning is overrated
  • winning in the playoffs is overrated
  • playing well in the playoffs is overrated
  • my player is great and all failures are due to coaching / defense / injuries / cheating / conspiracy / bad luck
  • we prefer 5 or 6 extra regular seasons of mediocrity over winning league MVPs and Super Bowls
  • Jim Plunkett > Brady because he is perfect in Super Bowls
  • My player is unfortunate because he lost coach x who was fired for not winning a playoff game at 14-2 because my player was awful... but no blame goes to my player

Rivers over Warner Logic: 

• 0 Super Bowls > 3 Super Bowls
  • 0 Rings > 1 Ring
  • 0 MVPS > 3 MVPs
  • 5-6 > 9-4
  • 84.2 > 102.8 

The Rams were a joke franchise that went 4-12 before Warner took over. (0 playoff wins in 10 years before Warner)

• They turned back into a joke franchise when he left (1 playoff win in 10 years after Warner)
  • He may as well have arrived from Krypton the way he played in 1999

The Cardinals were a joke franchise before Warner took over (1 playoff win in 10 years before Warner)

• They turned back into a joke franchise when he left (1 playoff win in 10 years following Warner)
    • Aaron Rodgers went 28-42 for 423 yards 4 TDs and a pick for a 121.4 rating scoring 45 points in a playoff game and he lost to Warner
    • Warner went 29-33 for 379 yards 5 TDs and no picks for a 154.1 rating to force OT when 27-33 probably means a loss.

Warner played in 3 Super Bowls and had the 1st, 2nd and 3rd most passing yards in a Super Bowl until Brady and Foles put up their 2016 and 2017 great games.

• He was MVP of XXXIV
  • He brought his team back from 17-3 in the 4th quarter of XXXVI including making it 17-17 with 1:30 to play
  • He gave his team a 23-20 lead in XLIII with 2:37 to play

What exactly did your guy do in the playoffs?

• Like 1