A few predictions about the MLF Offense

skibrett15

6 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

What else are you going to do with the TE?

Didn't look at that part close enough - get to the second level ?

Edit. Blocking the lateral pursuit from the LB's on the second level seems more beneficial

Edited by cannondale

17 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Agree with everything you're saying except that I'm not so down on the 3 WR sets. LaFleur averaged 2.45 WRs per snap last year in TN. I suspect this year it will be closer to 2.55. 

Still not nearly enough. 

To be fair, weren't the Titans ravaged by injuries at the position?

I would hope that MLFs offense is at least somewhat tailored to fit the personnel he's given.

• Like 2

Was he completely in charge of TN's offense in 2018?   I seriously doubt he is showing all his cards in these preseason games.  I know this place is Footballs Future but we can't really foretell how this offense is going to function after only 2 preseason games.  I recall a lot of folks were nervous about the last HC we hired who never was a HC before too.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Are they going to get there in time with any degree of frequency?

On the first play - there was no one left to block. On the second play 50? and 53 made the tackle.

Edit. On the first play the LB's actually pursued with the TE - misdirection - but I'm guessing that only works once as they ignored the TE movement on the second play and made the tackle

Edited by cannondale

20 minutes ago, cannondale said:

On the first play - there was no one left to block. On the second play 50? and 53 made the tackle.

Edit. On the first play the LB's actually pursued with the TE - misdirection - but I'm guessing that only works once as they ignored the TE movement on the second play and made the tackle

Which plays are you referencing?

30 minutes ago, BlondeonBlonde said:

To be fair, weren't the Titans ravaged by injuries at the position?

I would hope that MLFs offense is at least somewhat tailored to fit the personnel he's given.

That and the fact that they really didn't have much talent at the position to begin.

30 minutes ago, Pugger said:

Was he completely in charge of TN's offense in 2018?   I seriously doubt he is showing all his cards in these preseason games.  I know this place is Footballs Future but we can't really foretell how this offense is going to function after only 2 preseason games.  I recall a lot of folks were nervous about the last HC we hired who never was a HC before too.

Nobody shows all their cards in preseason except the Arizona's and Jacksonville's of the world because the reset button is their best friend.

1 hour ago, cannondale said:

Ignoring the TE could be the point; play action and hit em for a first down.

20 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Why does that have to be a grandpa offense?

MLF's grandpa was a coach. 
Matt’s grandfather, Bob Barringer, coached football for nine years at Loy Norrix High School in Kalamazoo, Michigan, in the 1960s and ’70s.

Here's an article on the Shanahan offense in SF and how he is evolving.

https://ninerswire.usatoday.com/2019/06/01/kyle-shanahans-evolving-position-less-offense/

“Positionless” is the phrase du jour for describing what the 49ers are building on offense. They’re stocking up on players who allow them to vary their play calls and formations without ever changing the personnel. That layer of unpredictability is potentially deadly in a league where opposing coaches feast on tendencies.

Shanahan was already on the forefront of this concept last season. San Francisco ran 11 personnel (one running back, one tight end) with three receivers only 39 percent of the time last season, according to Sharp Football Stats. The next-lowest in the league was New Orleans at 53 percent. The NFL as a whole used 11 personnel a whopping 66 percent of the time, and passed out of that formation at the same rate. San Francisco passed out of 11 personnel 83 percent of the time. It’s the most predictable of the common personnel groupings, and the 49ers utilized it far less than the rest of the league.

• Like 1

from Ben Fennell via The Athletic

The Packers had four pass plays over 20 yards in the loss to the Ravens with three of four coming off play-action concepts. We got our first glimpse of a Matt LaFleur offense with sequenced play calls.

The Packers offense ran three consecutive plays in the third quarter with the same personnel, formation and run action. All three plays were 11 personnel (three WR) three-by-one formations with identical split zone run actions. There were no substitutions between plays.

The first two plays had well-executed blocks by TE Robert Tonyan, who cut the backside DE (getting his opponent on the ground each time) and helping generate gains of 28 and 5 yards for rookie RB Darrin Hall.

The third play in the sequence is the same split zone run action but ended up being a play-action fake. Tonyan comes across the formation in the same manner but ends up incorporating into the pass protection for QB Tim Boyle. You can see the space and time Boyle has to survey downfield, finding WR Allen Lazard coming open late for 25 yards.

https://cdn.theathletic.com/app/uploads/2019/08/19231102/1-SEQUENCING-1.mp4

23 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

from Ben Fennell via The Athletic

The Packers had four pass plays over 20 yards in the loss to the Ravens with three of four coming off play-action concepts. We got our first glimpse of a Matt LaFleur offense with sequenced play calls.

The Packers offense ran three consecutive plays in the third quarter with the same personnel, formation and run action. All three plays were 11 personnel (three WR) three-by-one formations with identical split zone run actions. There were no substitutions between plays.

The first two plays had well-executed blocks by TE Robert Tonyan, who cut the backside DE (getting his opponent on the ground each time) and helping generate gains of 28 and 5 yards for rookie RB Darrin Hall.

The third play in the sequence is the same split zone run action but ended up being a play-action fake. Tonyan comes across the formation in the same manner but ends up incorporating into the pass protection for QB Tim Boyle. You can see the space and time Boyle has to survey downfield, finding WR Allen Lazard coming open late for 25 yards.

It sounds like a well disguised offensive scheme and look forward to AR running it. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, deathstar said:

Listened to this guy on Matt Waldman’s podcast and he’s got an article on this topic:

https://subscribers.footballguys.com/apps/article.php?article=2019-green-bay-packers-coaching-change-analysis

The podcast:

https://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2019/06/20/matt-waldmans-rsp-cast-ep-74-projecting-the-packers-offense-with-dwain-mcfarland/

Hes got a big year for Adams, MVS, and Jones and a 57/43 pass/run split.

I liked this, until it was just endless numbers guessing for every player. I know it's old but he laughed at himself for thinking Tonyan would have 4 TDs this year when predicting it months ago. I think that's pretty damn realistic.