A few predictions about the MLF Offense

skibrett15

3 minutes ago, Norm said:

I liked this, until it was just endless numbers guessing for every player. I know it's old but he laughed at himself for thinking Tonyan would have 4 TDs this year when predicting it months ago. I think that's pretty damn realistic. 

I would’ve liked more info on how they arrived at those numbers. I agree, a lot of the guesses make sense with what we’ve seen.

25 minutes ago, deathstar said:

I would’ve liked more info on how they arrived at those numbers. I agree, a lot of the guesses make sense with what we’ve seen.

They talked about it a tiny bit at first with the running backs then it was just numbers over and over with the wrs and tes and I lost interest

4 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

What else are you going to do with the TE?

I think the LF could easily have his TE release instead of block and hit him in the flat for a decent gain if the safety and OLB fall asleep.

Almost all of the moving parts are going to force defenders to read and react instead of pinning their ears back.  That is what will make the play action so much more effective.  If the running game is just average, Rodgers should have a clean pocket the majority of his throws.

Edited by Cheech

55 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Not enough info to make any assumptions imo about a Matt LaFleur offense but I’m willing to bet we will be seeing more 3WR sets than 2 TE sets . Look where the talent is. It’s WR.

Agree on this, but I think we will run more 2TE  and 3TE relative to the rest of the offenses in the NFL.

That's where a lot of these designer concepts come out of, and I'm wondering if the creativity makes up for the lack of talent.

25 minutes ago, Norm said:

They talked about it a tiny bit at first with the running backs then it was just numbers over and over with the wrs and tes and I lost interest

I think it's mostly meant for fantasy since it's a fantasy podcast right?  So whatever your fantasy scoring system you can take those numbers and plug and chug.

49 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

I think it's mostly meant for fantasy since it's a fantasy podcast right?  So whatever your fantasy scoring system you can take those numbers and plug and chug.

Yeah I know. But they were kinda gone beyond fantasy at first. I was actually pleasantly surprised with it, it just lagged on and on

8 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Eh, Graham and Tonyan might both be in our top 5 WR/TE actually...

Possibly, bt I doubt it. 

TEs in the Titans offense last year totaled 69 targets the entire season. Granted Walker only played in 1 game and they didnt have much behind him. But still, MLF has utilized the RBs in the passing game way more than the TE.

2 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Do you think that would be a positive or a negative ?

Whats the consensus on Graham around here? I’d like to be optimistic on him, but I just don’t think he has it anymore . Everyone is pointing to his year two bump but he’s not the same Jimmy Graham anymore . Injuries and time have caught up I’m afraid. 

Im in on Tongan. I want to see the guy play. 

3 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

Agree on this, but I think we will run more 2TE  and 3TE relative to the rest of the offenses in the NFL.

That's where a lot of these designer concepts come out of, and I'm wondering if the creativity makes up for the lack of talent.

That’s a very good point and it could be so.  

Im not in on Graham this year personally and have more confidence in our WRs personally, but if I’m wrong and the TEs can play you may be right.

2 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Top 5 yes, top 4 (accounting for a RB), I don't think so. Adams / Graham / Allison / MVS is probably the top 4, though subbing Tonyan in for different looks is worth the trade off in talent.

19 minutes ago, Packer_ESP said:

Top 5 yes, top 4 (accounting for a RB), I don't think so. Adams / Graham / Allison / MVS is probably the top 4, though subbing Tonyan in for different looks is worth the trade off in talent.

I'm really high on Tonyan. He has all the tools to be a genuine break-out player. I could see Adams/MVS/Tonyan as top 3 weapons by season end.

https://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/47496/workouts-and-dish-duty-robert-tonyans-offseason-with-roommate-george-kittle

6 hours ago, Cheesehawk said:

Possibly, bt I doubt it. 

TEs in the Titans offense last year totaled 69 targets the entire season. Granted Walker only played in 1 game and they didnt have much behind him. But still, MLF has utilized the RBs in the passing game way more than the TE.

I think the Titans' lack of talent at TE last year is more than just a footnote. A good OC finds ways to get the ball into the hands of his best players, regardless of what position they play. I would think that LaFleur is not so rigid that he would stick with the same mix of play-calls that he had with the Titans, with no good TEs and a QB with an injured arm. If Tonyan is ready to break out this year, he should get plenty of opportunities. 

23 hours ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Not enough info to make any assumptions imo about a Matt LaFleur offense but I’m willing to bet we will be seeing more 3WR sets than 2 TE sets .

It will be fun to watch it all play out.
The 2 biggest influencers for MLF were Shanahan and McVay and those guys are on opposite ends of the personnel package spectrum.
McVay runs the most 11 personnel in the league, while Shanahan runs the least. Which way does MLF go ?
Like you, I'm guessing we'll still be in 11 more than any other grouping, but the gap between them closes compared to what it was under MM

On 8/20/2019 at 6:35 PM, incognito_man said:

I'm really high on Tonyan. He has all the tools to be a genuine break-out player. I could see Adams/MVS/Tonyan as top 3 weapons by season end.

https://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/47496/workouts-and-dish-duty-robert-tonyans-offseason-with-roommate-george-kittle

That's pretty cool