'The Tackle' v. Harrison for 100 v. Butler's pick

Apparition

Which of the three do you consider the greatest defensive play in NFL history?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the three do you consider the biggest defensive play in NFL history?

• Mike Jones stops Kevin Dyson at the 2 (SBXXXIV)
    • James Harrison's 100-yard pick-6 heading into halftime (SBXLIII)
    • Malcolm Butler picks off Russell Wilson in the end zone (SBXLIX)

On 2019-08-20 at 4:05 PM, tom cody said:

I went with Butler. I think if Seattle wins that game Wilson is regarded higher than he is now. 

Well, it's only natural that he deserves some flak for choking it away, especially having gotten the chance off Kearse's circus catch. 

Agree with the others who said that it's between Butler and Jones. Harrison's return doesn't come close as it was only halfway through and the return should have been called back anyway due to a clear as day block in the back. 

• Like 1

It has to be Butler imo (homer bias).

Here's the thing, there was a lot of game to be played after Harrison's play. It was still a close game. 

The tackle, would have sent the game into overtime. Anything could have happened there, would not have been shocked to see the GSOT just get the toss and get field goal range. 

Butler's pick is one where yeah you can argue the Patriots could have stopped them on other plays, but if Butler didn't jump the route, that play is a TD and it's game over. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BayRaider said:

The wrap up tackle to save the Super Bowl. The other two were great plays as well but can also partly chalk those up as ridiculous dumb decisions by the other team.

Calling a route short of the goal line with one play left wasn’t a ridiculously dumb decision?

(Steve is on record saying that Dyson broke his route shorter than what was called, but still.)

I do not understand why some think that the interception of the Cardinals was a dumb decision?

Yes, they were at the one yard line, but there was only 16 seconds left before the halftime and the Cards had no timeout left ... They had no choice to pass and James Harrison's decision to drop in coverage was incredible too and it surprised Warner(He admitted this after)

Butler's interception. It prevented us from losing the game. The Tackle was a game winner, but Tennessee would have only sent the game to OT if Dyson crossed the plane (he also wasn't THAT close).

Edited by Elky

On 8/27/2019 at 7:46 AM, evilflamingo said:

Well, it's only natural that he deserves some flak for choking it away, especially having gotten the chance off Kearse's circus catch. 

Agree with the others who said that it's between Butler and Jones. Harrison's return doesn't come close as it was only halfway through and the return should have been called back anyway due to a clear as day block in the back. 

I wouldn't call it choking as much as I would call it Butler making a perfect play to beat a perfect throw. Browner + Butler had to play that perfectly to beat it, and they did.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I wouldn't call it choking as much as I would call it Butler making a perfect play to beat a perfect throw. Browner + Butler had to play that perfectly to beat it, and they did.

Choking might be a strong word, but I'm amazed about how little blame he received. First of all, it was a bad call and as a QB you should shoulder some blame for going with it. Second, with the receiver open he hesitates ever so slightly before releasing the ball and finally throws a weak ball a little high away from his receiver that allows Butler to get into position. With quicker decision making or a better placed throw, it's at worst an incomplete pass or a tackle short of the goal-line. As it was (and not taking anything away from Butler's performance), it was Wilson's weak throw that gave Butler a chance to make that great play on the ball.  

Went with Malcolm.

If Jones misses the tackle, that game goes to OT. If Butler breaks up the pass, Seattle still has two more shots from the one yard line with ~20 seconds left. Or if the pass is complete, NE is down with ~20 seconds on the clock.