Vince Williams' time with Steelers over?

armsteeld

3 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

It's going to come down to Keith Butler doing a good job

oh dear.....O.o

Do we have to get the chargers game out? This reminds me of how this D has slid and Butler has been under fire here anyways. With much more talent, he will have a chance to redeem himself. If however this D doesn't drastically improve, doe Butler get kicked fired?

Just now, 3rivers said:

oh dear.....O.o

Do we have to get the chargers game out? This reminds me of how this D has slid and Butler has been under fire here anyways. With much more talent, he will have a chance to redeem himself. If however this D doesn't drastically improve, doe Butler get kicked fired?

Dont get me wrong, I think Keith Butler, EVEN IF WE WIN A SB is a means to an end. He can do well, he just doesnt typically. He seems stubborn, cant get out of his own way, but part of it I do think is that he hasn't had the proper athleticism and sideline to sideline ability on defense. He has plenty of that now with UG3, DB, Kam Kelly, and potentially Tuzar Skipper.

He cant use the same old excuses. The defense isnt perfect, there is room for improvement but based just on potential skillsets available, I feel like our defense will be this season, what he had hoped it was going to be last year.

1 hour ago, 3rivers said:

this all sound like a good approach but how do you know when the team is going to run? After about 80 years and several rule changes , NFL coaches decided to pass on  much more often including on first down. There was a time when run defenders would stay out there on 1st and 2nd down, but the game is different now. Maybe once the game is under control, then let williams play , and "preserve" the starters? 

It's not that you know for sure. You base it on personnel. If it's a 3 WR set you prolly don't want VW on the field. If it's a 2 TE or 2 RB set that's his spot. Let the SS help with a TE, Bush with the other TE or RB and VW has what's left. Unless of course you're talking Zone but it's still the personnel that's important. Not guessing the play. 

13 hours ago, wwhickok said:

Also, I dont know that beyond Bush I consider has having specific ILB starters. It's going to come down to specific situations on who plays. VW can play in limited coverage, he just isnt someone who should be covering WRs. So offenses cant just assume our defensive plan just because VW is on the field. However I do believe Ulysses Gilbert is the successor to VW/Baron. He has shown a quality ability to get after the ball carrier and make plays. He is fast, it's not going to happen this year but imo ultimately our LB Corps is going to be designed to eliminate an offenses ability to succeed in the middle of the field with RBs and TEs. Something that is long overdue.

I agree with all this. People act like Vince is out there with literal blocks of concrete for shoes. He can cover backs and non-freakish TEs decently. He’s ok in short zone. He just shouldn’t be covering Keenan Allen. 

I also think Gilbert is probably going to be the replacement for him. I could honesty see this being Barron’s only year with us and Gilbert taking over next year. Then after that, him taking VW’s spot.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I’m anticipating Steelers Nation is gonna lose its collective head when we open against the Patriots and Williams has the green dot....

because, ya know....Brady. At home. Vs a rookie. 

This is what I expect too as well as a loss for steelers unless the pats are too banged up or they play really bad. 

13 hours ago, wwhickok said:

One guy I haven't mentioned yet is Bud Dupree. If he can carry his apparent improvements into the Regular season and make us all eat crow, it completely changes the dynamic of the defense because Pass Rush will no longer be a weakness at any level of our defense. That's just down right scary.

we are all waiting for this crow that's no doubt. I once would have agreed about the scary comment, but butler still has to prove he can call the games properly. I don't see dupree and Watt being quite like other good OLB duo's we have had or other teams have had but if dupree become legit then so will the D. I forget the actual rankings of the D in recent years but from my  views they weren't a legit D at all but that SHOULD change now with more talent.  Now  we are all waiting to see the run ILB  trying to cover the #1 WR,  10 yard cushion zones, artie burns etc....

16 hours ago, wwhickok said:

Dont get me wrong, I think Keith Butler, EVEN IF WE WIN A SB is a means to an end. He can do well, he just doesnt typically. He seems stubborn, cant get out of his own way, but part of it I do think is that he hasn't had the proper athleticism and sideline to sideline ability on defense. He has plenty of that now with UG3, DB, Kam Kelly, and potentially Tuzar Skipper.

He cant use the same old excuses. The defense isnt perfect, there is room for improvement but based just on potential skillsets available, I feel like our defense will be this season, what he had hoped it was going to be last year.

i thought it was pretty well known that tomlin has been running this defense for the past few years

On 8/31/2019 at 2:53 PM, wwhickok said:

Except I'm pretty sure that's not entirely true

enough that he should be held accountable for instead of talking about firing  butler for it

remember how everyone wanted butler fired before? rooneys didnt do it because they knew tomlin was mostly running it