Vince Williams' time with Steelers over?

armsteeld

2 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I think too many people are looking to hit a star this way rather than just a better than Grimble/Gentry impact.  Willson is better than them.  That's all I need.

I would agree with the part that Willson is probably better than Gimble/Gentry right now.  But again, both of those players are #3 TE's in my book.  We need a solid #2.  Is Willson that (a solid #2 type)? I am not so sure. I certainly wasn't looking for the Steelers to pay/sign a Gronk type TE, not that there was one out there anyway.  But again, I want a guy who could fill in like Outlaw did.  I don't have a ton of confidence that Vance will remain healthy for all 16 games either. I don't know who else is potentially out there, but yeah, I do hope that they sign someone more than a potential #3 type.  Again, maybe they see something that I don't in Grimble. The Steelers may believe that he can be as effective as Outlaw was.  I honestly don't know......

1 hour ago, wwhickok said:

Yeah Wilson is a fairly balanced, fairly reliable role player. Nothing flashy and the Raiders simply had guys that are better overall at whatever they want them to do (blocking or receiving) he can do both and even as a #2 imo would be a slight upgrade over Grimble in terms of reliability.  He would be a 1 year stop gap type option 

I missed your quote before I replied.  I didn't see Willson as much more than a #3.  I wasn't sure if his ceiling was as high as Grimble's being a six year vet. The main point that you and Warfelg are probably stating is, yes, he could be a one year stop gap.  Fair enough. Let's see what happens. 

1 minute ago, wwhickok said:

One thing to keep in mind about Willson is that especially when he was in Seattle, he was used primarily as a blocking TE. He can catch, its just not how he was used. He was part of the Marshawn Lynch steam roller teams.

Point well taken and that would actually be a plus for the Steelers as Grimble and Outlaw were not the best blockers.  Vance blocks very well in my humble opinion and his blocking is an underrated part of his game. 

3 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

Point well taken and that would actually be a plus for the Steelers as Grimble and Outlaw were not the best blockers.  Vance blocks very well in my humble opinion and his blocking is an underrated part of his game. 

I agree. I wouldnt suggest Willson is some sort of elite blocker either, there are certainly better (ppl who are starters because they're better) around the league. But he is serviceable. He, imo, is a balanced TE that would be used more as a blocking TE who can occasionally impact the passing game. Think a poor man's Matt Spaeth (spaeth was a much better blocker I think but same concept of a player)

• Like 1

Ironically, I expected big Matt to be a much better receiver at TE based on what he showed in college, but yeah he was a pretty darn good blocker at TE. The Steelers have been using OT's in that role going back to the days of Trai Essux. I guess they will use Chuks this week and see what happens with the passing game.

4 hours ago, wwhickok said:

One thing to keep in mind about Willson is that especially when he was in Seattle, he was used primarily as a blocking TE. He can catch, its just not how he was used. He was part of the Marshawn Lynch steam roller teams.

If you're bored, check out Wilson's Pro Day numbers. He was never a big time TE but those numbers are pretty impressive. 

• Like 1

I don't always love BTSC's stuff but this article made me rethink a lot of things I thought about our ILBs. If everyone is healthy, I don't think Vince is going to get a lot of run on defense by the end of the year. 

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2019/9/7/20852021/the-difference-between-the-2019-steelers-defense-and-those-before-are-at-the-linebacker-position-nfl