Baker Mayfield: “I cannot believe the Giants took Daniel Jones”

ClutchDJ

On 8/20/2019 at 5:17 PM, offbyone said:

What a jackass.  In one year, Mayfield has already trashed his first head coach, ran his mouth about one of his teammate's contract situations and ran his mouth about a qb colleague.  

This all works out ok for him if he is prolifically winning.  But if he starts playing bad, his team is going to turn on him real fast. 

For the billionth time, it wasn't a contract situation. Duke had just signed a 3 yr extension the year before.

• Like 2

There are people who have made up their mind on Baker. However, from everything I’ve ever read and heard from him, these comments are out of character for him (will be hard to believe for some). It’s why I’m leaning towards the comments being taken out of context.

The Duke Johnson stuff was just dumb and his teammates talked to him about it. I think he will learn from that.

I actually believe Mayfield. I don’t think he meant to trash Jones like that

It seems Mayfield isn’t particularly savvy with the media. He can certainly use them as his tool if he wants to paint a “bad boy image” but that will also require skill. I’m not sure what his media/marketing strategy is, though

He definitely says some “out there” stuff for a pro QB and I’m excited to see what else he has to say in the future. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

uhhh yeah he was. That team without him was insanely pitiful. He was a stud in college.

Nothing he does is spectacular. Average arm, average at best accuracy, average awareness, below average pocket presence, he was drafted high because he was coached up by the Mannings coach.

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

Nothing he does is spectacular. Average arm, average at best accuracy, average awareness, below average pocket presence, he was drafted high because he was coached up by the Mannings coach.

You are terrible at evaluating talent. Keep your day job. He’s already shown more than you give him credit for, but you’re doubling down.

Edited by Gmen

Eh, who really cares. We all give our opinions. Why can't he give his? I think it's a bad opinion. People tried to claim the same thing about Goff (didn't win in college). Not winning in college sure hasn't stopped Goff from winning in the NFL. I respect QBs who elevate crappy college teams.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, patman said:

does anyone have a link to the full conversation.  getting a tweet sort of lends itslef to taking things out of context. 

20 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Listened to a podcast this am (Cleveland Browns Daily) and they had the author of the article for GQ on to clarify things and this is being blown completely out of proportion (shocking, I know).

The Jones comment was made off the cuff when they were in a bar eating and the Giants were the topic on the TV.  He saw the TV and pretty much just express his surprise to him going 6, like most of the football world.  That’s it.

The winning was unrelated to Jones specifically and more a general thought regarding evaluating QB’s.

And obviously the interview was in May, this is a recent thing.

7 minutes ago, patman said:

does anyone have a link to the full conversation.  getting a tweet sort of lends itslef to taking things out of context. 

GQ and Baker also posted their responses to the context and Baker supposedly reached out to Jones as well. Sounds like it was a watching the draft and "Wow, that's a surprise that they took him there!" and "good for him!" moment. The "winning" context on QB evaluations was in a separate setting and conversation entirely, so it somehow merged into a "BASH DANIEL JONES" piece.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Did you actually watch any of his games? He was great for them. he played great for them. He carried that team in every one of their victories, which were few and far between because the rest of the team was utter garbage. Tough to show off your arm strength when you're getting mugged on every dropback. Below average pocket presence/awareness? Where are you getting that from? He was swarmed on every dropback and I've never seen a QB get assaulted like that. Josh Allens OL was bad, but at least they weren't facing animals like Duke had to.

This is a bad take. And yeah I thought he was overdrafted, but he's not nearly as bad as people seem to think.