Baker Mayfield: “I cannot believe the Giants took Daniel Jones”

ClutchDJ

32 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

They're not even from the same draft class. It's not like the Giants passed over Baker Mayfield, he was taken #1 overall. Wtf was the motivation here? What was the point? What did who the Giants selected in the draft have to do with him? Why was it necessary for him to even have a public opinion on it?

Tellin' you, it's Brand Building. No such thing as bad publicity. Say controversial stuff, see your name in headlines. 

Profits follow. 

This isn't much different than when AB came at JuJu, other than people like JuJu a lot more (for good reason - what a cool dude).  You don't talk trash about other players unless they give you a reason to (ie Norman/Odell).

I kinda wanna like Mayfield.  Mayfield planting the OU flag is legit one of the funniest things I've seen and we need more of that.  So hopefully we get more of that and less of this, although this isn't really a big deal either.  It's just one of those understood rules.

• Like 2

Putting aside the fact that his comments were Busch league, they were also without perspective. He goes after Jones for not winning in college? Jones played at Duke, which had one other NFL player drafted in the past 4 years. His receivers dropped a ton of passes, and his offensive line was a turnstile. I posed the question in the nfl draft forum a few months ago about what their college career would look like if Jones played for Ohio State, and Haskins played at Duke. The same applies for Mayfield. News flash : Oklahoma didn’t miss a beat without you Baker.

Rather random and awkward. Not sure what Baker is trying to accomplish, outside of getting his name out there.

It looks like he's embracing the heel, but why not talk about someone in your draft class? Why not pick a fight with Lamar Jackson, a guy in your class and division?

Really odd.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Rather random and awkward. Not sure what Baker is trying to accomplish, outside of getting his name out there.

It looks like he's embracing the heel, but why not talk about someone in your draft class? Why not pick a fight with Lamar Jackson, a guy in your class and division?

Really odd.

He knows Lamar would clap back, whereas Daniel Jones probably won't.

10 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Really odd.

Why does there have to be a secondary motivation? Why can't he just get asked a question, and then answer it honestly?

54 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

It's a magazine asking him about his opinion on a draft pick for an entertainment league, not him testifying under oath about classified information from the pentagon.

This is entertaining. It's good for the NFL. A league full of robot Russell Wilsons following the same stupid script would be boring. 

I dont find it entertaining. I get it, he talks, the Browns haven't had this much hype in forever, the energy has been mostly positive though the Duke Johnson situation was a bit ridiculous too.

But this is purely negative. 

• Like 1

Just now, wwhickok said:

I dont find it entertaining. I get it, he talks, the Browns haven't had this much hype in forever, the energy has been mostly positive though the Duke Johnson situation was a bit ridiculous too.

But this is purely negative. 

You do a little bit. You've spent 2 pages of a football forum talking about it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

You do a little bit. You've spent 2 pages of a football forum talking about it.

No, I dont. I care enough to repeatedly explain how pathetic it is. But entertaining would suggest I find some sort of enjoyment in it. I dont, what he said was unnecessary and makes him look like a tool 

4 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

No, I dont. I care enough to repeatedly explain how pathetic it is. But entertaining would suggest I find some sort of enjoyment in it. I dont, what he said was unnecessary and makes him look like a tool 

You may want everyone to sound like a boy scout and give every interview like "oh boy I'm just happy to be here" or do JJ Watts ****ty Captain America impression, but Baker's comments are entertaining. Maybe not to you, but to people.

And no, answering a question honestly is not pathetic.