Baker Mayfield: “I cannot believe the Giants took Daniel Jones”

ClutchDJ

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Why does there have to be a secondary motivation? Why can't he just get asked a question, and then answer it honestly?

Because these guys aren't stupid. This wasn't some interview at his locker with 100 reporters around him, or something he said to a few people off the record - this was part of a GQ Magazine interview, so he knew that it was going to be released to the public, and he knew it was going to get dissected from every single angle. This isn't an off-the-cuff response, this was a very measured response.

2 minutes ago, ET80 said:
1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Why does there have to be a secondary motivation? Why can't he just get asked a question, and then answer it honestly?

Because these guys aren't stupid. This wasn't some interview at his locker with 100 reporters around him, or something he said to a few people off the record - this was part of a GQ Magazine interview, so he knew that it was going to be released to the public, and he knew it was going to get dissected from every single angle. This isn't an off-the-cuff response, this was a very measured response.

Why couldn't he have gone into the interview and just said "yeah I'm gonna speak my mind". 

And in general, why do we want to create a media culture that punishes everyone who doesn't respond exactly the same way. NFL interviews are boring because people lose their mind over comments like this one.

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Why couldn't he have gone into the interview and just said "yeah I'm gonna speak my mind". 

Because you and I both know that Baker Mayfield - Heisman Trophy winner, #1 pick, Rookie phenom - has a publicist. That publicist most likely pre-screened the questions, removed several that they didn't want to answer, and rehearsed what they did want to answer. 

Daniel Jones is an easy target, one that won't equate to any chalk board talk that will interfere with the Browns' season. Lamar Jackson is probably an easier target, but that has ripples downstream.

I won't say that there's not a bit of Mayfield's fingerprints on this, but ...it's just as rehearsed as a JJ Watt "I love America and puppies and box jumps" schtick.

8 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

And in general, why do we want to create a media culture that punishes everyone who doesn't respond exactly the same way. NFL interviews are boring because people lose their mind over comments like this one.

I'm perfectly OK with it, I just hope people don't do like Jalen Ramsey did, writing checks he couldn't cash. 

If Mayfield goes this route and then Jones goes out and breaks his rookie TD mark, I expect Mayfield to walk back his statement. That's all I'd like to see, not some sulking and not speaking to the media...

51 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

That doesn't change what I'm getting at. People are losing their mind over Baker giving his honest opinion. Not even because they disagree with it (there's some of that, to be fair), but because they think he shouldn't be giving it. And that makes no sense. Why are we acting like we want an athlete-media culture where we get these nothing robot 'oh i'm just happy to be here' answers.

His actual take, which is using college wins as a draftable stat, is dumb as hell. But I love that he actually said something honest.

I'm with you on this one.  I have no issue with Baker speaking his mind.  If anything, it's a breath of fresh air.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gmen said:

Putting aside the fact that his comments were Busch league, they were also without perspective. He goes after Jones for not winning in college? Jones played at Duke, which had one other NFL player drafted in the past 4 years. His receivers dropped a ton of passes, and his offensive line was a turnstile. I posed the question in the nfl draft forum a few months ago about what their college career would look like if Jones played for Ohio State, and Haskins played at Duke. The same applies for Mayfield. News flash : Oklahoma didn’t miss a beat without you Baker.

I mean, that's like trying to discredit the Packers having success post-Brett Favre.  Let's wait for an extended period before we say the Sooners were fine without him simply because they had a former 5* prospect transfer to Oklahoma.

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

It shouldn't have to be one or the other, but it is.

It isn't though.

There is more backlash from fans and analysts of the NFL to larger personalities, I would agree with that.  But that's more so because of the demographics and culture of the NFL.  

That doesn't mean your only options are A) coming across as a tool or B) being a company man.  You can still express yourself however you want.  You may have some fans who aren't as accepting, but that doesn't mean you don't have the choice.

I don't have a problem with Mayfield talking trash or whatever, it just seems unnecessary to do it about a player who isn't relevant to him.  It's not as bad as when AB came at JuJu (I get the feeling Mayfield didn't really mean for this to become public, while AB definitely did), but it's still along the same line.  

And really, it's not like I even have that much of a problem with it to the point I actually care.  But I can see why it is frowned upon.

2 minutes ago, ReggieCamp said:

We don't get to enjoy the "feel good" rebound for our perennial loser of a team.

We went straight from lovable losers to hated pr!cks.

I thought when we emerged from the desert, we'd have people cheering us on.  Nope.  Not now.

I mean, wait until Dorsey drafts more guys like Hunt and Tyreek. Then you'll feel it

1 minute ago, ReggieCamp said:

We don't get to enjoy the "feel good" rebound for our perennial loser of a team.

We went straight from lovable losers to hated pr!cks.

I thought when we emerged from the desert, we'd have people cheering us on.  Nope.  Not now.

I'm indifferent for the most part - the Browns have always been one of the 30 teams I neither like or hate, regardless if they're 0-16 or 16-0. 

This being said, I can see why someone would hate the Browns. I like the attitude they have, it's exactly why Mayfield was the perfect guy for them - but yeah, not gonna fault anyone for having strong feelings on them.

2 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I'm perfectly OK with it, I just hope people don't do like Jalen Ramsey did, writing checks he couldn't cash. 

If Mayfield goes this route and then Jones goes out and breaks his rookie TD mark, I expect Mayfield to walk back his statement. That's all I'd like to see, not some sulking and not speaking to the media...

But Ramsey wrote a check he could cash by criticizing Josh Allen. They played each other during the season. Meanwhile, Mayfield will never play a snap against Daniel Jones in his career.

Trash talk is trash talk, because football is a competitive sport. When you go and talk trash about someone you can't compete against, who you'll never have to answer to, who'll never get a chance to compete against you.... it's not trash talk anymore. It's just being a ****.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Because you and I both know that Baker Mayfield - Heisman Trophy winner, #1 pick, Rookie phenom - has a publicist. That publicist most likely pre-screened the questions, removed several that they didn't want to answer, and rehearsed what they did want to answer. 

Daniel Jones is an easy target, one that won't equate to any chalk board talk that will interfere with the Browns' season. Lamar Jackson is probably an easier target, but that has ripples downstream.

I won't say that there's not a bit of Mayfield's fingerprints on this, but ...it's just as rehearsed as a JJ Watt "I love America and puppies and box jumps" schtick.

It might be rehearsed, but just like JJ Watt, there's an element of truth still there. JJ did the Captain America thing because people responded to it, but also that's kind of his personality. 

It's not 100% real, but it's not 0% real, which is better than you can say for most NFL media bits.