Baker Mayfield: “I cannot believe the Giants took Daniel Jones”

ClutchDJ

3 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

It isn't though.

There is more backlash from fans and analysts of the NFL to larger personalities, I would agree with that.  But that's more so because of the demographics and culture of the NFL.  

That doesn't mean your only options are A) coming across as a tool or B) being a company man.  You can still express yourself however you want.  You may have some fans who aren't as accepting, but that doesn't mean you don't have the choice.

I don't have a problem with Mayfield talking trash or whatever, it just seems unnecessary to do it about a player who isn't relevant to him.  It's not as bad as when AB came at JuJu (I get the feeling Mayfield didn't really mean for this to become public, while AB definitely did), but it's still along the same line.  

And really, it's not like I even have that much of a problem with it to the point I actually care.  But I can see why it is frowned upon.

How many guys are between A and B here? There's almost none. As a percentage of the league, it is basically 0. Because we take every statement that isn't the company line and beat the living christ out of it until people say "well not making that mistake again".

Chris Long rode that line well for a while, but he retired and even before that donated his entire salary to charity so the backlash was never going to be the same. Jalen Ramsey showed up in a brinks truck and got flack for it almost universally. Not trash talk, just a guy coming to training camp with a  hype man. Didn't stop the reaction.

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

It might be rehearsed, but just like JJ Watt, there's an element of truth still there. JJ did the Captain America thing because people responded to it, but also that's kind of his personality. 

I can agree to this - just like Watt, he's playing to his brand. Baker Mayfield has been the trash talking, brash bad boy since the sack grab on the sideline of the Kansas game. This is just a step in that direction.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I can agree to this - just like Watt, he's playing to his brand. Baker Mayfield has been the trash talking, brash bad boy since the sack grab on the sideline of the Kansas game. This is just a step in that direction.

And how bad does the NFL need a guy like that.

It's so weird to me because the average NFL fan now in his 20's or 30's probably grew up in the wrestling era of Stone Cold and the Rock where guys would come in and just trash the city blatantly. "THIS IS THE WORST CITY WITH THE DUMBEST PEOPLE" and people loved it. The crowd and the announcers would go crazy rooting against the heel. And those same people have turned the NFL into the most wonderbread in a snowstorm boring media league.

I'm not saying be wrestling, but sports are better entertainment when guys play heel.

• Like 1

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

How many guys are between A and B here? There's almost none. As a percentage of the league, it is basically 0.

So every player in the NFL is either a tool or follows the status quo?

I mean, you have even been naming players who are between A and B.  Newton, Ramsey, Mayfield, etc.  Antonio Brown before the end of his Steelers run, now he's just on another level.  Would you say JuJu follows the status quo?  I'd say he's a big personality too.  Among others.  So how are you coming to conclusion that there is a 0% of guys who are between A and B?

Not trash talk, just a guy coming to training camp with a  hype man. Didn't stop the reaction.

Yes, but the reaction doesn't mean the players still don't have a choice.  Just because some fans don't like that Ramsey drove to camp in a flashy truck doesn't forbid him from doing it again.  

1 minute ago, iknowcool said:

So every player in the NFL is either a tool or follows the status quo?

I mean, you have even been naming players who are between A and B.  Newton, Ramsey, Mayfield, etc.  Antonio Brown before the end of his Steelers run, now he's just on another level.  Would you say JuJu follows the status quo?  I'd say he's a big personality too.  Among others.  So how are you coming to conclusion that there is a 0% of guys who are between A and B?

Yes, but the reaction doesn't mean the players still don't have a choice.  Just because some fans don't like that Ramsey drove to camp in a flashy truck doesn't forbid him from doing it again.  

I wouldn't say they are a tool at all. They're perceived to be that way by the average NFL fan. Every single one of those guys you listed, and I mentioned, gets crap for what they say and do. If you polled a list of most unpopular NFL players, they're all going to show up on it. And the NFL media almost exclusively comments on the "this is a distraction" angle when they talk about anything other than what they do as a highlight.

And obviously I'm not saying that Baker is going to be forced to reign it in. I hope not. But the more fans and the media try to punish this, the further into the viscous cycle of scripted responses we're going to go. If you want less of that, for now, you've gotta stop criticizing guys who don't follow the script.

11 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

And how bad does the NFL need a guy like that.

It's so weird to me because the average NFL fan now in his 20's or 30's probably grew up in the wrestling era of Stone Cold and the Rock where guys would come in and just trash the city blatantly. "THIS IS THE WORST CITY WITH THE DUMBEST PEOPLE" and people loved it. The crowd and the announcers would go crazy rooting against the heel. And those same people have turned the NFL into the most wonderbread in a snowstorm boring media league.

I'm not saying be wrestling, but sports are better entertainment when guys play heel.

I always believed that wrestling (and combat sports in general) can get away with this because you literally see these guys getting their ***** kicked. You don't like The Rock? Give it a sec, HHH gonna crack him over the skull with a sledgehammer. Not a fan of Conor McGregor? Well, pull up Nate Diaz choking him out, you'll feel fine.

Football, baseball, basketball? You'll rarely see these guys get their comeuppance - sure, they win and lose games, but we won't see anyone run up the score on the Browns to the tune of 72-0, which would be the equivalent of a Paul Levesque sledgehammer to the face. You might see Mayfield get sacked, but you won't see him get suplexed into the ground like Turkey Jones did to Terry Bradshaw. 

I think we like the concept of the heel because we know the heel will get theirs - and with team sports, we rarely see them get theirs to the point to where we're satisfied.

• Like 1

Just now, ET80 said:

I always believed that wrestling (and combat sports in general) can get away with this because you literally see these guys getting their ***** kicked. You don't like The Rock? Give it a sec, HHH gonna crack him over the skull with a sledgehammer. Not a fan of Conor McGregor? Well, pull up Nate Diaz choking him out, you'll feel fine.

Football, baseball, basketball? You'll rarely see these guys get their comeuppance - sure, they win and lose games, but we won't see anyone run up the score on the Browns to the tune of 72-0, which would be the equivalent of a Paul Levesque sledgehammer to the face. You might see Mayfield get sacked, but you won't see him get suplexed into the ground like Turkey Jones did to Terry Bradshaw. 

I think we like the heel because we know the heel will get theirs - and with team sports, we rarely see them get theirs to the point to where we're satisfied.

You can't play it up the same way, no question.

To me, the best example from the NFL recently of a "heel" taking the product to the next level was the Bengals-Steelers rivalry. It became the best rivalry in football because everyone hated Burfict, and then each year it would be more and more out of control as guys chirped in the press and whatnot. And he wasn't so much playing a heel as he just was a dirty player, but it made what was a game between two above average football teams must watch TV.

Baker doing that, whether its with the Giants or someone else, is next level since he's a QB.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, 24isthelaw said:

But Ramsey wrote a check he could cash by criticizing Josh Allen. They played each other during the season. Meanwhile, Mayfield will never play a snap against Daniel Jones in his career.

Trash talk is trash talk, because football is a competitive sport. When you go and talk trash about someone you can't compete against, who you'll never have to answer to, who'll never get a chance to compete against you.... it's not trash talk anymore. It's just being a ****.

If you want to get granular, sure - Mayfield will never line up on defense against the Giants. 

Honestly, this story will get a new life the next time the AFCN plays the NFCE. Because that'll be "Mayfield v Jones" to the eyes of those who watch.

3 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

You can't play it up the same way, no question.

To me, the best example from the NFL recently of a "heel" taking the product to the next level was the Bengals-Steelers rivalry. It became the best rivalry in football because everyone hated Burfict, and then each year it would be more and more out of control as guys chirped in the press and whatnot. And he wasn't so much playing a heel as he just was a dirty player, but it made what was a game between two above average football teams must watch TV.

Baker doing that, whether its with the Giants or someone else, is next level since he's a QB.

The Steelers-Bengals matchup were not even a rivalry ... In fact the biggest rivalry for the Steelers has always been the Ravens ... The Bengals wanted the Steelers to be a rival for them, but that was never a rivalry.

• Like 1

Just now, Steelersfan43 said:

The Steelers-Bengals matchup were not even a rivalry ... In fact the biggest rivalry for the Steelers has always been the Ravens ... The Bengals wanted the Steelers to be a rival for them, but that was never a rivalry.

Ahh yes, who can forget the storied Steelers-Ravens matchups of the 90's and earlier.

Oh...wait.

• Like 1