2018 NFL Draft Thread

Louis Friend

9 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

If his DL coach wasn't former Alabama and new Lions DL coach Bo Davis, your lack of quality coaching might ring true. Davenport is a raw rusher with good measures, improving skill and good upside. But he is raw. 

Agreed. He can be both highly talented/athletic and raw at the same time. One comparison he got was Danielle Hunter. It might take him a year or so to really develop but it doesn't mean he won't wind up a superstar either.

10 hours ago, Karnage84 said:
10 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

If his DL coach wasn't former Alabama and new Lions DL coach Bo Davis, your lack of quality coaching might ring true. Davenport is a raw rusher with good measures, improving skill and good upside. But he is raw. 

Agreed. He can be both highly talented/athletic and raw at the same time. One comparison he got was Danielle Hunter. It might take him a year or so to really develop but it doesn't mean he won't wind up a superstar either.

What's raw in your guys opinion? Production was there for three years. Raw, that means soooooo many assumed things from person to person in a person. When I think Raw, I think Ziggy Ansah... A dude who had very limited experience in football at all, with no real production/stats.

6 minutes ago, SimbaWho said:

What's raw in your guys opinion? Production was there for three years. Raw, that means soooooo many assumed things from person to person in a person. When I think Raw, I think Ziggy Ansah... A dude who had very limited experience in football at all, with no real production/stats.

He's raw like Ziggy but without the lack of playing excuse. In fact, Ansah was his NFL player comparison for alot of people. High upside/potential... good measurables... raw.

Day 3. Who are you really wanting?  Here are my guys:

Ogbnnia Okoronkwo

Equanimeous St Brown

Josh Sweat 

Mo Hurst

Genard Avery

Shaq Griffin

Dorance Armstrong 

Josey Jewel

Tyrell Crosby 

hercules mataafa 

kendrick Norton

and there's value at WR and DT still. Think you get get a contributor still. I have the feeling we might trade some of those extra 5th or 6th round picks next year for a pick this year. 

Tim Settle is still available. Da'Shawn Hand, R.J. McIntosh, Kentavius Street, Skai Moore, Armani Watts is probably off the board since we reached for Walker but who knows with this draft, Quinn has drafted a QB every draft so far maybe Lauletta or Falk, go OL last two picks with Will Clapp and Brian Allen? Jaylen Samuels is still around... nothing would shock me at this point. 

Just now, Millenhater said:

As much as I've been raging on this draft so far I've got to say it's still pretty decent. At the end of the day we have landed 3 players in my top 50. So not bad.  Next years pick for Hand stings though. 

How would you rate it so far? I'd say B- to B. Ragnow is a solid but not groundbreaking pick. We needed a RB and Johnson was a good choice. The 3rd round pick seemed quite early but I felt the same way about Golloday. Not sure if we had to trade up to get Hand. It does sting a little but I'm happy we addressed the DL. 

14 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

How would you rate it so far? I'd say B- to B. Ragnow is a solid but not groundbreaking pick. We needed a RB and Johnson was a good choice. The 3rd round pick seemed quite early but I felt the same way about Golloday. Not sure if we had to trade up to get Hand. It does sting a little but I'm happy we addressed the DL. 

We gave away 4 picks for two players..and neither worth that imo.

Then Quinn said he had multiple trade down options for the first pick and felt ragnow was worth more then multiple picks idk..

No way imo this draft deserves a passing grade jmo tho

8 minutes ago, Rockcity2 said:

We gave away 4 picks for two players..and neither worth that imo.

Then Quinn said he had multiple trade down options for the first pick and felt ragnow was worth more then multiple picks idk..

No way imo this draft deserves a passing grade jmo tho

What 4 picks did we give up? I'm only aware of next years 3rd.

2nd & 4th to move up 8 spots in the second. So we are down a 4th.

In the 4th rd, we trade a 2019 3rd rd pick for a 4th. So we get a 4th back but lose a 3rd.

Very happy with the picks. Here's my breakdown. I'm not much for grades. 

1. Ragnow - By far the 2nd best OL tape in the draft after Nelson. The kind of strong, physical center we haven't had since Glover. Stud athletic testing as well. 

2. Kerryon Johnson  -  He was one of the backs I stumped for. Supposedly Washington wasnted him in the 2nd so we had to move on him. He's physical, productive, well rounded and a big upgrade on our current RBs. Also I'm glad they went out and got the guy they wanted. No excuse not to run the ball now. 

3. Walker - Can't sit here and say I knew him, but I think another coverage toy for Patricia(with ST ability to boot) was clearly on the checklist for this draft

4. Hand - I also think it was clear we were gonna take one of the DL associated with our assistant coaches, ideally Davis. Hand's raw, but his potential is worth the gamble to me. Can play all kinds of DL slots in Patricia's D. 

5. Crosby - Home run, likely Lang replacement next year IMO. Great OL depth now

7. FB dude - No excuses on goal line this year. 

On 4/28/2018 at 1:50 PM, Karnage84 said:

Yeah probably about a B-.  Johnson was at the bottom of my list of acceptable RB that the Lions had to take in the draft. Walker is a plan for the future pick so we are not left with our pants down would provides depth now at the FS spot and probably has some packages set up for him now so not bad. The hand pick still sucks in my opinion. If I'm trading a third next year I would have preferred it would be to trade up to grab a dline player in next years insanley stacked class. 

In the end I love when a GM at least has a plan and is either going to make a strength stronger or just finish off a side of the ball. In this draft they did that for the offense. And I love that train of thought. Again if we drafted Guice we wouldn't have to trade our third and we would have gotten the superior player at RB in my opinion. If we did that I might even give this draft an A

Archived